Nova

Wednesday Numbers | Asgard 1: EndGame 8.4M Wed

18 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

I’m probably underestimating May quite a bit. I’ve only seen 3-4 movies this year in theater. By the end of May that number will triple. Going to see Pikachu, John Wick 3, Rocketman, Aladdin, and Godzilla. 

May will be very expensive for me. Plan to see Pikachu this weekend, John Wick atleast 2 times after that and Godzilla atleast 8 times over the Wednesday-Sunday stretch at the end of may.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

31 minutes ago, Litio said:

Yeah, but if movie X does $5k total wasting 5 shows with 3 hours and movie Y does $3k total in 3 shows with 1 hour and 50 mins, what movie is better to give more shows? Prob this is what is going to happen. 

Again, there's more to it than, well this one is shorter so I'm going with this one!

Would you honestly play more Dog's Journey from 7-10pm on a weekend than Endgame?  No, you play what you have to(1st prime/2nd prime), but give more starts to the bigger prime time movie, which is Endgame and then DP.  

Would you play more Endgame from 9am-12pm than Dog's Journey/Pika?  No, because the early morning rush for Endgame is long over and those other two movies will play better in those times.  

Not to mention every theater has its own set of unique demographics that dictate what plays and how often.  I worked at two different theaters in Houston that were maybe 15 miles apart, and they couldn't have been more different in terms of what plays/what doesn't play.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

I’m probably underestimating May quite a bit. I’ve only seen 3-4 movies this year in theater. By the end of May that number will triple. Going to see Pikachu, John Wick 3, Rocketman, Aladdin, and Godzilla. 

I'm actually above my usual movie going pace of 1/month (or 12 movies/year)...this year, in theaters, I've seen...

WIR2 (2018 carryover)

Lego Movie 2

Shazam

Avengers Endgame

Wonder Park

The Kid Who Would Be King

And I'll be at Pika this month at some point...so 7 in 5 months (although cheap tickets helped for a few of these:)...and thankfully, nothing that was a total dud, money-wasting experience yet:)...

• Astonished 1

22 minutes ago, fryoj said:

I'm not questioning anyone's knowledge, but math is math. In the simplest form, if you only have one screen that seats 100 people, and you have a movie that plays 90 minutes, and sells 75 tickets per showing, theres not a scenario where you should ever replace it with a 3 hour movie. I know that's not exactly what we are looking at here, but it's the point I was trying to make. 

The solution is to cut an entirely different movie that isn't selling and play both of the movies that are.  You guys make it sound like it can only be Pika or Endgame, and not both.  

• Like 8

i seen maybe 12.

I seen almost every summer action movie last year. I think i missed Skyscraper and that Sicario movie but that is it. planning on doing the same this summer as well.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

Just now, That One Guy said:

I've seen 40 movies in theaters so far this year :thinking:

35-40 times is the end goal for me with Godzilla 2. Have saved a lot of money in the last few years just for that movie to be released so i can see it as often as i want lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

21 minutes ago, a2k said:

CW 2.28x

IM3 2.35x

AOU 2.40x

875 will give AEG 2.45x. Considering AIW did 2.62x and AEG beat it's ow by 100, this amount of sequelitis is normal.

I agree with you.

AOU decreased from Avengers multiplier despite opening 16m lower (and it decreased a LOT).

And CW (as Avengers 2.5) decreased in both yet again.

IW was brining it back up again and now Endgame opened so much higher, so it should be expected that it legs won't increase too (I never really got after that first day, why people were giving it higher multis than IW).

And as long as the multi stay above AoU it should be good (I know, random number)

• Like 1

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Godzilla has an abnormal high multi due to @Brainbug's contribution to its box office.

If at all i would be helping the german box office for the film though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

May will be very expensive for me. Plan to see Pikachu this weekend, John Wick atleast 2 times after that and Godzilla atleast 8 times over the Wednesday-Sunday stretch at the end of may.

Get one of the Moviepass like plans. :)

Good hold for EG. Thought it would be about $7.8M

$900m no longer seems like a certainty. Pretty sure Disney will do their best to get it there though, with double features and expansions.

I see similarities with Black Panther's march to $700m.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, a2k said:

I think 70 3rd weekend is very suspect.

8.4 Wed

7.9 (-6%)

17.4 (+120%)

30.0 (+72.5%)

21.0 (-30%)

= 68.4 (-53.6%)

EG still could win the weekend.

Haha I adjusted mine to 67+ and almost exactly this. I also think it could beat DP, also could lose if it has great WOM. Might be a really close race.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Again, there's more to it than, well this one is shorter so I'm going with this one!

Would you honestly play more Dog's Journey from 7-10pm on a weekend than Endgame?  No, you play what you have to(1st prime/2nd prime), but give more starts to the bigger prime time movie, which is Endgame and then DP.  

Would you play more Endgame from 9am-12pm than Dog's Journey/Pika?  No, because the early morning rush for Endgame is long over and those other two movies will play better in those times.  

Not to mention every theater has its own set of unique demographics that dictate what plays and how often.  I worked at two different theaters in Houston that were maybe 15 miles apart, and they couldn't have been more different in terms of what plays/what doesn't play.  

I gave you only 1 generic example. There are more movies to come. I don't see how EG can stabilize in this situation.

Pretty meh Wed too. Hopefully we’re just seeing the runtime shift demand from weekdays to weekends now that the demand Frenzy has cooled off, rather than initial signs of a big dropoff.   

Yesterday: 

CW 644.5+217.5*1.01=864M

IM3 644.5+217.5*1.17=899M

IW 644.5+217.5*1.24=914M

AoU 644.5+217.5*1.25=916M

TA 644.5+217.5*1.61=995M

Today:  

CW 653+200.5*1.02=858M

IM3 653+200.5*1.18=890M

IW 653++200.5*1.28=910M

AoU 653+200.5*1.27=908M

TA 653+200.5*1.65=984M     

Starting to look like IM3 might be more where it lands than IW/AoU, though I hope not.

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Pretty meh Wed too. Hopefully we’re just seeing the runtime shift demand from weekdays to weekends now that the demand Frenzy has cooled off, rather than initial signs of a big dropoff.   

Yesterday: 

Today:  

CW 653+200.5*1.02=858M

IM3 653+200.5*1.18=890M

IW 653++200.5*1.28=910M

AoU 653+200.5*1.27=908M

TA 653+200.5*1.65=984M     

Starting to look like IM3 might be more where it lands than IW/AoU, though I hope not.

Well Tuesday was MEH. Wednesday was meh. Maybe Thursday will be ok leading to good weekend. I will take it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Well Tuesday was MEH. Wednesday was meh. Maybe Thursday will be ok leading to good weekend. I will take it

I think the weekend will be 74+. How deluded am I? Tune in in 4 days to find out.

• Haha 1