Water Bottle

***SPOILERS***Detective Pikachu***SPOILERS THREAD***BE WARNED***SPOILERS THREAD***SPOILERS THREAD*** | Pika Pika?

6 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Justice Smith sucked, no surprise there

I wouldn't say he was good, but he was decent by the end. 

Besides him and Reynolds, the rest of the cast should never be seen again. Some of those supporting characters...just no. 

Perhaps there was a reluctance to join a Pokemon movie, but the cast should be a lot better than what we got. 

Somewhere in this universe, there is an epic Pokemon story waiting to be told, but I am really doubting it will ever get told. It cannot be written or directed by a hack like Letterman for one. I watched the first 3 Pokemon films and nothing since then, but Pokemon has never been great at movies. But just because their standard is so low doesn't mean this kind of plotting and writing should be given a pass. 

It'd be a shame if we don't get another movie (doesn't have to be DP2) because the Pokemon themselves are gorgeous to watch and they didn't have as many as they should have had. Way too many repeated Pokemon made the world feel smaller than it should. Loudreds, Charmanders, Sneasels everywhere- just unrealistic. 

12 hours ago, redgarlic said:

If they leave him in Pikachu's body then we'd have a deal...

I really want to hear and see Pikachu go

Spoiler

"TIM! I'm your father, you can't just walk away from me!"

55 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Besides him and Reynolds, the rest of the cast should never be seen again. Some of those supporting characters...just no. 

Perhaps there was a reluctance to join a Pokemon movie, but the cast should be a lot better than what we got. 

Somewhere in this universe, there is an epic Pokemon story waiting to be told, but I am really doubting it will ever get told. It cannot be written or directed by a hack like Letterman for one. I watched the first 3 Pokemon films and nothing since then, but Pokemon has never been great at movies. But just because their standard is so low doesn't mean this kind of plotting and writing should be given a pass. 

It'd be a shame if we don't get another movie (doesn't have to be DP2) because the Pokemon themselves are gorgeous to watch and they didn't have as many as they should have had. Way too many repeated Pokemon made the world feel smaller than it should. Loudreds, Charmanders, Sneasels everywhere- just unrealistic. 

The villain and his son :hahaha:and Kathryn Newton was also disappointing 

• Like 1

I haven’t seen it yet, but if it’s casual as hell about the biracial thing, good for them. This isn’t the 60s, it shouldn’t be shock worthy, and it shouldn’t be treated like it’s a big deal. That in itself makes it a big deal and a lot more progressive than most films. If the story and characters are good (although it seems that may not be the case, we’ll see), that’s all that matters.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:56 PM, JGAR4LIFE said:

Ryan Reynolds, YOURE THE FATHER

Also a good guy heroic Mewtwo was a surprise 

Mewtwo has never been the bad guy in any movies as far as I know. Even in the first pokemon movie, he turned good.

that was’t really a twist for me. Kinda expected mewtwo to be good and humans to be evil, lol

The movie was good; will play well with audiences. A lot of effort went into the twists; and loved that Detective Pikachu was the dad for most of the movie, hence the Ryan Reynolds voice. 

I was skeptical about his voice but that ending killed all my skepticism 

Edited by TigerPaw

18 minutes ago, nick64 said:

I haven’t seen it yet, but if it’s casual as hell about the biracial thing, good for them. This isn’t the 60s, it shouldn’t be shock worthy, and it shouldn’t be treated like it’s a big deal. That in itself makes it a big deal and a lot more progressive than most films. If the story and characters are good (although it seems that may not be the case, we’ll see), that’s all that matters.

Well I have some bad news. And you’ve been majorly spoiled. Why are you here lol. There’s a twist involved with the race thing that would be shocking or not depending on your views. 

Edited by Tentatek

30 minutes ago, Tentatek said:

Well I have some bad news. And you’ve been majorly spoiled. Why are you here lol. There’s a twist involved with the race thing that would be shocking or not depending on your views. 

I personally don’t mind spoilers all that much (something about knowing where it ends up makes me appreciate the journey more, idk hard to explain it). I’ve made my peace about being in the spoiler thread, so if there’s something about the race thing worth knowing, I’m down to hear it.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:06 PM, Water Bottle said:

Solid B movie. The plot is kinda...wack and weak but the worldbuilding is great. Some of the action scenes work (the Pokemon battles) but others land flat (like the escape from the mountain Pokemon). Nice use of new and old Pokemon (even if I'm not familiar with some of the new Pokemon...must play more Pokemon!). I thought some of the changes they made from the Detective Pikachu video game were bad and some were good.

Honestly, with that script, maybe Michael Bay was the ideal director for this. 

Was the plot the same in the game and movie? The mewtwo stuff about humans becoming Pokemon?

14 hours ago, BK007 said:

Lmao that female detective was awful at acting especially in her first scene at the apartment. It reminded me of Disney channel kid actresses when they first start out

I feel like it was the script. iIt feels soo cliché that even the people I know are good actors came off as paint by numbers. Having said that it was good movie. Not great or etc... 

I will say how does the rest of the world feel about a city that criminalize the most popular sport in the world, rubs it in everyone's face about how they think you suck, and owned by one corporation the controls everything...

5 minutes ago, Silcardo Jenazad said:

I feel like it was the script. iIt feels soo cliché that even the people I know are good actors came off as paint by numbers. Having said that it was good movie. Not great or etc... 

I will say how does the rest of the world feel about a city that criminalize the most popular sport in the world, rubs it in everyone's face about how they think you suck, and owned by one corporation the controls everything...

If the movie was any more fleshed out on those points, it could be an allegory about America. A very weak one but still.

Also, yes.....the glory of Pokemon in live action would be a battle and we got 1.5.....that's a major component of the games. Guess they couldn't figure out how to work it in organically.

3 minutes ago, Morieris said:

If the movie was any more fleshed out on those points, it could be an allegory about America. A very weak one but still.

Also, yes.....the glory of Pokemon in live action would be a battle and we got 1.5.....that's a major component of the games. Guess they couldn't figure out how to work it in organically.

If this does well enough it would not be hard to see or for the studio to do like rocky but with Pokémon or like hajime no ippo but with Pokémon. 

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Detective pikachu the video games had 1 1.5 battles 

It more about human and Pokémon interaction.

if successful I guess they can do more with battles