Water Bottle

***SPOILERS***Detective Pikachu***SPOILERS THREAD***BE WARNED***SPOILERS THREAD***SPOILERS THREAD*** | Pika Pika?

17 minutes ago, Wormow said:

Who and why?

The writers of the movie. This was their first big movie and honestly they did a pretty bad job. If it wasn’t Ryan Reynolds who was saying the lines it would been super cringey

the 22 jump street guy makes the most sense 

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

The writers of the movie. This was their first big movie and honestly they did a pretty bad job. If it wasn’t Ryan Reynolds who was saying the lines it would been super cringey

the 22 jump street guy makes the most sense 

He has written the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog...that doesn't really inspire confidence. 

We'll see.

• Astonished 1

10 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

A sequel or another live action Pokémon movie needs 

better actors 

better writers 

a better release date than 2 weeks after the biggest movie of all time 

The hardest part though. They completely nailed the Pokémon vfx and world building. Just focus on the other shit now 

that Mewtwo pikachu battle in end was hype 

Haha that's what I said, they nailed the Pokemon which would've been the most difficult part.

But they really need a better director as well. Letterman is a hack, he's no writer either and Newton/Nighy and all other non-Reynolds and Smith members of the cast were really, really bad. Below average for even a generic family movie. Smith himself barely passes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Honestly if this movie has a 150 million dollar budget with barley any popular actors besides Ryan Reynolds and no Pokémon battles 

they better off not doing anymore live action Pokémon movie. Budget way would too high to justify it 

Maybe it's the amount of Pokemon? 

Letterman says they ran out of money designing the 50 they did make. I'm pretty sure some of the animation (Charmander & Squirtle) were stock, as I saw that specific animation repeatedly. 

I think a better director, one who knows how to operate on a tight budget, so even like an indie director, should have been given the helm. There'd be creative ways in which to use the available money and spread the 50 designs so it didn't feel like those were the only ones available. 

The themed parade was a gimmick (the amount of Sneasels wow) but yeah, I think there'd be better ways. The Torterra scene was a waste honestly. I mean, I love what they did with Torterra, but on the whole, it doesn't need to be in the movie at all.

4 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Haha that's what I said, they nailed the Pokemon which would've been the most difficult part.

But they really need a better director as well. Letterman is a hack, he's no writer either and Newton/Nighy and all other non-Reynolds and Smith members of the cast were really, really bad. Below average for even a generic family movie. Smith himself barely passes. 

Yeah agreed.

i hope legendary pictures gives it another crack at it with better writers and actors 

they bought the Pokémon IP. I doubt there just gonna give up it because it wasn’t a monster smash hit. 

Just use the same vfx team 

1 minute ago, BK007 said:

Maybe it's the amount of Pokemon? 

Letterman says they ran out of money designing the 50 they did make. I'm pretty sure some of the animation (Charmander & Squirtle) were stock, as I saw that specific animation repeatedly. 

I think a better director, one who knows how to operate on a tight budget, so even like an indie director, should have been given the helm. There'd be creative ways in which to use the available money and spread the 50 designs so it didn't feel like those were the only ones available. 

The themed parade was a gimmick (the amount of Sneasels wow) but yeah, I think there'd be better ways. The Torterra scene was a waste honestly. I mean, I love what they did with Torterra, but on the whole, it doesn't need to be in the movie at all.

That’s true. Who knows. The pre production of movie seemed to cost more just trying to design the Pokémon and such 

but they need a much much better cast and Crew for next movie 

5 hours ago, Tentatek said:

And I oop 

Samit: “A lot of the classic elements of a Pokémon story were not really at our disposal. At Ryme City, there are no battles, there are no trainers, there are no Pokeballs. We often thought of it as like writing a Star Wars movie without a lightsaber or the Force or anything like that. The key elements are just not part of this world.”

I knew it from the start.

Live action makes it way more obvious that the franchise is about caging small animals and making them fight for money and medals for their owners.

The movie outlaws battling and then makes it an activity that only scumbags take part in in underground cage fights.

You really think Legendary wanted to make Detective Pikachu over a more traditional Pokemon film?

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

I knew it from the start.

Live action makes it way more obvious that the franchise is about caging small animals and making them fight for money and medals for their owners.

The movie outlaws battling and then makes it an activity that only scumbags take part in in underground cage fights.

You really think Legendary wanted to make Detective Pikachu over a more traditional Pokemon film?

The only time you even see a Pokéball being used in the film it immediately backfires on the user.

The Pokémon Company literally had staff on set everyday to expect everything about the movie. They had all their hands in it including the plot.

They literally didn’t even want the mime scene in it but letterman insisted.

A different director or writers wouldn’t make any difference. 

And that’s a good thing because so many franchises and adaptation don’t have this kinda treatment. (Transformers, and most recently sonic)

It’s not like they gave the ip to the directors and writers to make whatever they want with it. The movie is just as CANON as any mainline games. It exists in the same universe. 

Edited by Tentatek

56 minutes ago, AJG said:

I mean that’s where the real power and nostalgia is at. Hopefully this is a situation for Legendary similar to Godzilla and Toho where they gain the trust and confidence from the parent company to do whatever they want for future installments.

However the novelty of seeing live action Pokémon and most of all a Pikachu focused story won’t be there anymore so the traditional Pokémon story wont get its true box office potential.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

The thing is the Pokémon will always be the main attraction 

was ryan Reynolds helpful. Of course it was but the Pokémon is the big assets 

Ryan Reynolds voicing turbo didn’t make it any less of a disaster lol 

That was pre Deadpool Reynolds 

this definitely could've been funner. i have no idea why for the most part aside from ryan reynolds' "one-liners" this was so fucking self-serious. the girl character would've been better if she just went full jennifer jason leigh in Hudsucker Proxy which was kinda what i thought they were doing in her first scene but ultimately not really she was too boring for that.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2