filmlover

Judy | September 27 2019 | Roadside Attractions | Renee Zellweger

Zellwinger might be going for her  Second Oscar (she won supporting actress in 2003 for "Cold Mountain").

Seems to be a pattern here with film biograpies:The film itself is not so great but it has a brilliant performance.

Edited by dudalb

3 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

I think the only question is does this end at Carnegie or with the Judy Show. 

Also. I love Renee but I wished they had dubbed her. 

Agreed.

On one hand singing is so intrinsic to Garland that it's a major part of a biographic performance.   OTOH Garland's voice and vocals are so intrinsic to her fame and so iconic that hearing anything different, not to mention so much weaker, gets in the way of capturing who she was.

A Judy biography is a weird movie to talk about getting  an Oscar win for when the Oscars showed how fickle, shallow and uselessly wrong they can truly be by screwing Garland over for a Star Is Born for Grace Kelly in The Country Girl.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Reviews are starting to come out and so far the consensus seems to be that Zellweger is fantastic but the movie itself is only decent. Thinking she's a sure thing for a Globe nomination and might have a strong shot at an Oscar nom if it does well-ish at the box office (My Week with Marilyn's $14M gross would be a solid benchmark for this to reach).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

OTOH Garland's voice and vocals are so intrinsic to her fame and so iconic that hearing anything different, not to mention so much weaker, gets in the way of capturing who she was.

As someone who has been on a Judy bender for the past month *~*~because of reasons~*~*, this.  This is exactly it.  The only one that sounds close to her is Liza.

A Judy biography is a weird movie to talk about getting  an Oscar win for when the Oscars showed how fickle, shallow and uselessly wrong they can truly be by screwing Garland over for a Star Is Born for Grace Kelly in The Country Girl.

LOOOOOOOOOOL.

For those who don't know what Talis is talking about, here's an EXCELLENT video on it:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Agreed.

On one hand singing is so intrinsic to Garland that it's a major part of a biographic performance.   OTOH Garland's voice and vocals are so intrinsic to her fame and so iconic that hearing anything different, not to mention so much weaker, gets in the way of capturing who she was.

I wasn't that familiar with the last days of Judy Garland, her voice sounded much better than I'd imagined, not a total shadow of her glory days. AMPAS clearly doesn't mind lip syncing, post BoRhap, I wonder if they considered dubbing in Judy's vocals where they could or finding a soundalike. 

Garland dying winless, only for someone to get Best Actress decades later for playing her in a so-so biopic, is the most "typical Oscars" thing ever. Also, A Star Is Born as an entity through the years seems kind of snakebit with the Academy, lots of nominations between all the different versions but very few wins.

Zellweger will have a great narrative, but last year showed there are limits to how far that can take a lead actress contender at the Oscars, especially vs. competition in Best Picture nominees. Interestingly, the '54 A Star Is Born was *not* a Best Picture nominee while The Country Girl was. Screeners weren't a thing in the 1950s, but Best Picture is the grand prize. Then and now, more voters will see performances in movies nominated in that category and/or with higher nomination totals, than non-BP/lone acting nominees. In a tight race, it can make the difference.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 3