sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

RIP Alita's chances at a franchise then 

You're misreading my post.

We're talking about a franchise bigger than any before it and one which can transend through dream to reality wall and save the very planet we are living on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 3
  • ...wtf 3

Just now, Nova said:

The PoTA to me feels more like a universe considering how long its been going around. As to your last point: it doesn't have to. 

I feel like it does with how high the budget is for it. Maybe it'll have FB-esque legs who knows. But as of rn I can't see a 58 million debut for what was intended to be a cinematic universe be something WB's thrilled with.

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I feel like it does with how high the budget is for it. Maybe it'll have FB-esque legs who knows. But as of rn I can't see a 58 million debut for what was intended to be a cinematic universe be something WB's thrilled with.

They were expecting a $50M debut for it which is what it was tracking at for weeks before release. They got $55M+. Just because those of us on this board let our own personal expectations get in the way of things, doesn't mean we know what WB wanted or what they're thrilled with. The more money a movie makes, the more thrilled a studio is, of course. But we dont know what the bottom line is for most studios in that regard. 

*Btw this isn't me talking specifically about Pikachu as I said in my original comment, I don't think the movie applies. But more so about starting franchises/cinematic universes in general and what the threshold is for that in terms of box office. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

They were expecting a $50M debut for it which is what it was tracking at for weeks before release. They got $55M+. Just because those of us on this board let our own personal expectations get in the way of things, doesn't mean we know what WB wanted or what they're thrilled with. The more money a movie makes, the more thrilled a studio is, of course. But we dont know what the bottom line is for most studios in that regard. 

A projection isn't the same as "We want this". It's to avoid embarrassment mainly in case it does under that, and to make box office look better if it goes over. I can not see any scenario where WB let alone Legendary is happy with this.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

A projection isn't the same as "We want this". It's to avoid embarrassment mainly in case it does under that, and to make box office look better if it goes over. I can not see any scenario where WB let alone Legendary is happy with this.

I guess WB wasn't too happy about Kong Skull Island's $61M domestic opening last year either. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

I guess WB wasn't too happy about Kong Skull Island's $61M domestic opening last year either. 

61's a bit different but none-the-less the OS for Skull Island is also projected to be a lot bigger then Pikachu's. Pikachu's projected for at most the low 500s, Skull Island did 566.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

61's a bit different but none-the-less the OS for Skull Island is also projected to be a lot bigger then Pikachu's. Pikachu's projected for at most the low 500s, Skull Island did 566.

How is $61M all that different between $58M. It’s a $3M difference.

And when you crunch down the numbers the difference between Pikachu and Skull Island will be that Skull Island did $100M more in China and a bit better in SK. Everywhere else their performances thus far have been rather similar. 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

How is $61M all that different between $58M. It’s a $3M difference.

And when you crunch down the numbers the difference between Pikachu and Skull Island will be that Skull Island did $100M more in China and a bit better in SK. Everywhere else their performances thus far have been rather similar. 

Also I did specify cinematic universe starter anyways aka G-2014. Both Thor and Cap had 60 million OWs unadjusted.

32 minutes ago, Nova said:

You don't need to make Iron Man money to start a cinematic universe. The studios behind the monster movies (Godzilla and King Kong) have been churning them out on $150-$200M budgets and most of them make $500-$600M in return. They've been consistent in doing that. Or another example is the Planet of the Apes universe. 

Not sure where you'd go with a Pokemon universe from here or if it even compares (I don't think it does) but my point is, Iron Man/The MCU is literally the best of the best when it comes to franchises. Movies don't need to reach that to warrant cinematic universes. 

I think legendary pictures will give another crack at it with a better release date. 

They didnt just buy the pokemon IP movie license just to make 1 movie 

A theatrical run just one way to make money. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You're misreading my post.

We're talking about a franchise bigger than any before it and one which can transend through dream to reality wall and save the very planet we are living on.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

3 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I think legendary pictures will give another crack at it with a better release date. 

They didnt just buy the pokemon IP movie license just to make 1 movie 

A theatrical run just one way to make money. 

I have no idea if that’s a good idea or not as I really don’t know which direction they’d go  but my point wasn’t necessarily in regards to Pikachu (even if that’s what it ended up being about) but just potential franchise starters in general. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Hm, I like the MCU too, but that is a bit too much. It probably won't save the planet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thomas Beck said:

Hm, I like the MCU too, but that is a bit too much. It probably won't save the planet.

very witty but you missed the part about the first film in the film franchise, that would be Iron Man for MCU.

• Like 2