sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

24 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Nope waiting for Netflix. The ratio is really bad and the nominal figures are a lot lower than EG (which will drop hard too).

Does WB usually send its new movies to Netflix? I don't remember having any of the DC movies other than the Nolan trilogy on Netflix.

PIKACHU Sun estimates revised from -18% to -34%. Weekend goes from 58 to 54.5.

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
May 10, 2019 1 $20,560,000   4,202 $4,893   $20,560,000 1
May 11, 2019 2 $20,410,000 -1% 4,202 $4,857   $40,970,000 2
May 12, 2019 2 $13,530,000 -34% 4,202 $3,220   $54,500,000 3

Needs 2.75x for 150. Hope that's the floor.

Edited by a2k

I wonder if it is just Detective Pikachu or we might be seeing most of the movies drop harshly from estimates except for some of the movies such as Hustle and Pom that are targeting the female audience.

If that is the case with the former, then yeah not good. if it is the latter, well slack will be cut.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

I think that anything in the 50M+ range is a very good opening for DP.

As a non video game fan, there wasn't much this movie was going to offer to me, besides the Ryan Reynolds hook, and I wasn't much looking forward to a PG version of the Reynolds charm.  

Also, the movie was fighting for the youth audience that is still being held onto a bit by A:EG, so the timing didn't help.

With that in mind, I think this was a fine opening weekend for this.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I take you might be likely to hate it anyway.....considering the mixed critical reviews and the...um...lack of interest from non-fans?

No clue. I loved Pikachu 20+ years ago.

37 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Does WB usually send its new movies to Netflix? I don't remember having any of the DC movies other than the Nolan trilogy on Netflix.

No idea I'll wait. Not that eager but will give it a go for free.

1 hour ago, Noodlebug said:

I honestly expected way more for DP mostly due to the social media buzz. 80M DOM seemed to be the floor for it's OW. What happened?

Same as when HTCYD1 was released, people thought it would have more appeal than it ended up having. (But then the breakdowns here were more epic)

13 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

But WB has already announced the Pokemon Cinematic Universe...??? Are you saying WB , as a studio, is putting the cart before horse ???

There isn’t a Pokémon Cinematic Universe as Red/Blue were just rumors. The only one in development is DP2. 

Besides Legendary owns the IP.

15 minutes ago, Thomas Beck said:

Same as when HTCYD1 was released, people thought it would have more appeal than it ended up having. (But then the breakdowns here were more epic)

What’s that?

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Bulk is from cable fees, then advertising.

Disney+ doesn't need to make money. Espn streaming does and I believe it will. 

I asked, because I don't think streaming is doing any magic big numbers..... 
% for Espn streaming? I cant find any relevant numbers, can you?.........

its almost like battle bluray/dvd media vs. digital...., that's why I am curious what numbers  % streaming are from those 23 billions is....
is it even billion?

Marek

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marek the Jedi said:

I asked, because I don't think streaming is doing any magic big numbers..... 
% for Espn streaming? I cant find any relevant numbers, can you?.........

its almost like battle bluray/dvd media vs. digital...., that's why I am curious what numbers  % streaming are from those 23 billions is....
is it even billion?

Marek

You are correct. Currently Disney streaming in UK makes nearly nothing despite being cheap. It's super low everywhere so I have no idea why people are pretending it needs to make money streaming anytime soon. Cable isn't going away just yet. Convenience and sports matters to a lot of folks. Amazon loses money on streaming but is absolutely killing it in general.

I do think Disney will want Hulu and ESPN+ to be profit makers, Disney+ is less of an initial concern.

I used to have season tickets for sports and spent like $7000+ annually on it. Now I spend zero and basically gave up sports except for tennis occasionally. It sucked big time initially but now I don't really care much about them anymore.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

Lol, r/boxoffice thinks Pikachu might not even reach Shazam because they thought the bigger drop than expected means that Pikachu has no legs. Yeah, it totally isn't that WB overpredicted with an insane 18% drop.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1