sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

How in the hell does a garbage movie like The Hustle open 33.6% higher than the infinitely better Long Shot? Was it marketing? Did moviegoers prefer a female “buddy” comedy over a traditional rom com? Is the political backdrop of Long Shot too off-putting for moviegoers seeking some escapism? It’s tough making sense of the moviegoing public sometimes.

6 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

How in the hell does a garbage movie like The Hustle open 33.6% higher than the infinitely better Long Shot? Was it marketing? Did moviegoers prefer a female “buddy” comedy over a traditional rom com? Is the political backdrop of Long Shot too off-putting for moviegoers seeking some escapism? It’s tough making sense of the moviegoing public sometimes.

It benefitted from opening on Mother's Day weekend (plus being PG-13 vs. Long Shot's R). Fully expecting a big drop this weekend of around 60% like what Snatched saw two years ago, if not worse.

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

Captain Marvel officially passed 700M OS

$700,804,201

:D

I finally understood why it at first didn't get updated, they seem to do 'only' the finals for the small result titles, no earlier estimates for those.

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Wow! Right between the two Hobbit-sequels. Higher than DOS but slightly one hundred thousand less than BOTFA.

I guess the position above BOTFA might be the highest it will reach in OS

Till another movie surpasses it I guess those # as finals

OS = 29

WW = 22

dom = 21 (not sure about public holiday weekend... pushes it might get, if tons of those, who knows, maybe even #20?)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I finally understood why it at first didn't get updated, they seem to do 'only' the finals for the small result titles, no earlier estimates for those.

OS = 29

WW = 22

dom = 21 (not sure about public holiday weekend... pushes it might get, if tons of those, who knows, maybe even #20?)

This puts a smile on Brie Larson’s face. 🙋🏻‍♀️

brie-larson-smile-wallpaper-55326-57066-

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

13 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

OS = 29

WW = 22

#20 is unfortunately not possible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

This puts a smile on Brie Larson’s face. 🙋🏻‍♀️

brie-larson-smile-wallpaper-55326-57066-

me, faceblind.... is that her? Hair seems to have another colour than the few pictures I saw with her outside of the MCU filming time

Just now, oMeriMombatti said:

#20 is unfortunately not possible.

thx a lot, thought so too, but had read here at BOT some numbers around that # based on whatever pushes.

Aa I am actually quite busy with non-BO stuff, I didn't follow up to those kind of posts.

= it is already way higher than I thought an intro movie (MCU) without an earlier appearance of the lead character might reach, so every dollar more is simply gravy 😉

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Long Shot better than -40% looking not that good is because this weekend is a strong one for a movie like this.

The Hustle did almost the same has the 7% on Rotten tomatoes Hot Pursuit:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=witherspoonvergara.htm

Opening Weekend:  $13,942,258

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dont_mess_with_texas_2014

For probably very similar reason, perfect weekend for the release, star power, being a comedy and one of the style / targeting an audience that is really review robust. Hathaway is a movie star in that genre.

Why Long Shot didn't open better is a good question and a bigger mystery than why Hot Pursuit/Hustle achieved to go over 13m.

Maybe we are simply over analyzing something has simple, End Game was so monstrous and Rogen audience overlap a lot with Marvel, that a big part of the movie natural audience was shared and not really counter-programming. 

That was Long Shot movie demo:

Females over 25 numbered 39%, males over 25 were 33%, females under 25 were 16%, and males under 25 were 12%. Sixty one percent were Caucasian, 20% Hispanic, 10% Asian and 7% African American. 

55% female is low for a rom-com, Isn't it romantic was like 70% female, Trainwreck 66% female, Crazy rich Asian 68%, Overboard 59% female, so it didn<t really play like a rom-com but neither has a Rogen comedy, sitting between the 2.

I think one reason could be the more complex high concept than the usual recent comedy, that have extremely simple one like Blockers, Tag, Game Night

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Long Shot better than -40% looking not that good is because this weekend is a strong one for a movie like this.

The Hustle did almost the same has the 7% on Rotten tomatoes Hot Pursuit:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=witherspoonvergara.htm

Opening Weekend:  $13,942,258

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dont_mess_with_texas_2014

For probably very similar reason, perfect weekend for the release, star power, being a comedy and one of the style / targeting an audience that is really review robust. Hathaway is a movie star in that genre.

Why Long Shot didn't open better is a good question and a bigger mystery than why Hot Pursuit/Hustle achieved to go over 13m.

Maybe we are simply over analyzing something has simple, End Game was so monstrous and Rogen audience overlap a lot with Marvel, that a big part of the movie natural audience was shared and not really counter-programming. 

That was Long Shot movie demo:

Females over 25 numbered 39%, males over 25 were 33%, females under 25 were 16%, and males under 25 were 12%. Sixty one percent were Caucasian, 20% Hispanic, 10% Asian and 7% African American. 

55% female is low for a rom-com, Isn't it romantic was like 70% female, Trainwreck 66% female, Crazy rich Asian 68%, Overboard 59% female, so it didn<t really play like a rom-com but neither has a Rogen comedy, sitting between the 2.

I think one reason could be the more complex high concept than the usual recent comedy, that have extremely simple one like Blockers, Tag, Game Night

I saw Long Shot as a rom-com for men...

And it apparently didn't draw that many into it...

Speaking only for myself...Seth Rogan is not my dream rom com leading man draw...he'd be like the "I settled" draw:)...and the last thing I wanted to see a rom-com on is politics...so, between the "I settled" and the theming, it just wasn't a draw for me or any mom I know... 

All just anecdotal personal input, but as a 25+ woman, that's the type of input they need to pull the audience in next time...and it wasn't a price issue, b/c I had $4 tickets...it still just wasn't worth my time in this packed month (even with you all loving it...although most of you who commented were men:)...

• Like 3