sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I saw Long Shot as a rom-com for men...

And it apparently didn't draw that many into it...

Yep that a way to see it, it is more a men dream to end up with Theron than the other way around for sure and you had to compete with Avengers for that men child audience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

You mean ott-SVOD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-top_media_services ( streaming media as a standalone product directly to viewers over the Internet)

Usually called OTT for short., it is now a lot bigger than dvd/bluray and look like this according to.

https://www.degonline.org/portfolio_page/deg-year-end-2018-home-entertainment-report/

In 2017 for disney studio entertainment division revenues:

Studio Entertainment

Theatrical distribution $ 2,903

Home entertainment $1,798

TV/SVOD distribution and other: $3,678

Streaming was the biggest revenues segment for their movies and growing. TV seem now to be twice has big has dvds.

thank you for degonline link...
yeah sadly physical media going down :( 
when you are big fan of 4K with HDR and Dolby Vision, plust Atmos or DTS-X and you see such table hmm :( 
Marek

9 minutes ago, Marek the Jedi said:

when you are big fan of 4K with HDR and Dolby Vision, plust Atmos or DTS-X and you see such table hmm :( 

Wonder if that level of quality will be Laser Disk type of niche.

Bluray never went above dvds, but if gigabit or higher Internet become the norm, we could see something close to the over 100mbits 4K bluray available on Netflix and others.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Speaking only for myself...Seth Rogan is not my dream rom com leading man draw...he'd be like the "I settled" draw:)...and the last thing I wanted to see a rom-com on is politics...so, between the "I settled" and the theming, it just wasn't a draw for me or any mom I know... 

I made the same observation last weekend as Long Shot is at least the fourth time Rogen has been romantically paired with a co-star who is significantly better looking than he is. It makes me wonder if the film would have been more successful if an average looking female lead had been cast instead of the exceptionally beautiful Theron or if a hotter male lead had been cast instead of Rogen. It’s like his movies and Hollywood are telling women that Rogen is as good as it gets for them, instead of casting someone like Armie Hammer or Michael B Jordan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Wonder if that level of quality will be Laser Disk type of niche.

Bluray never went above dvds, but if gigabit or higher Internet become the norm, we could see something close to the over 100mbits 4K bluray available on Netflix and others.

I hope not :) (about Laser Disk.... niche)

bigger speed, yeah that could do a trick....
but love for physical  media is shrinking rapidly :(

Edited by Marek the Jedi

9 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Shazam legs really got ugly, End Game really destroyed them, it will not come close to add 1.5x it's third weekend, I even did get surprised seeing on a poster at the theater last weekend, thinking that it was a much older release.

Edited by Barnack

A Madea Family Funeral finally edged past A Madea Halloween to become the second highest grossing Madea movie (after Madea Goes to Jail). Comedy franchises are not dead. This one in particular doesn’t attract young (white) moviegoers so you don’t hear much about it. Still, not bad for the eighth film in the franchise, all of which have been made very cheaply.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 1