sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

9 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

United Artists Releasing has MGM’s Dirty Rotten Scoundrels femme reboot The Hustle playing at 3,007 is looking at $12M this weekend. Previews to date have earned $774K. 

So The Hustle did about 3x Poms. Surely that ratio won't persist all weekend, right?

This will be WB’s best May OW since Godzilla, I think in that regards, it’s a win. 

It will be interesting to see if Scoob can do well next May. I was surprised we didn’t get a teaser but I  expect we’ll get one timed with the anniversary celebrations. 

6 minutes ago, kitik said:

I might be misremembering, but I thought maybe a year or year and a half ago I was seeing a few folks throw around a 400+ number for Aladdin.

Last year people had:

Godzilla at 200m-250m
DP at 250-300m
Alladin at 350-400

Now, these movies are looking like will do half of these numbers

We're in May, and the only movies that did great were: EG/CM/The Upside and US (and even this one disappointed in legs.

People need stop acting like blind and see the ugly truth, cinema is dying in the front of our eyes. 

Edited by The Horror of Lucas Films
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kitik said:

I might be misremembering, but I thought maybe a year or year and a half ago I was seeing a few folks throw around a 400+ number for Aladdin.

domestic that seems nuts. I was hoping for 700+ WW

However zero reviews are out and its far from previews. It's dumb to project this far out. Certainly doesn't feel at this time it will reach that but actual figures are near impossible to forecast. People keep comparing it to Dumbo. Sure if it's much of a failure I could see 150 DOM/400 total but it would have to really suck to be there. Hopefully it doesn't

This is the inverse of the delusional predictions people had for DP. We'll know more in a week or so.

Edited by cdsacken

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

While it’s obvious Aladdin won’t be as big as Captain Marvel, it’s direct competition.

And Memorial Day will ease than cushion with the drop but it’s nowhere near the competition as captain marvel 

4 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Godzilla at 200m-250m
DP at 250-300m
Alladin at 350-400

Now, these movies are looking like will do half of these numbers

Godzilla is gonna do 100m-125m dom? Damn...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

And Memorial Day will ease than cushion with the drop but it’s nowhere near the competition as captain marvel 

You don’t need to worry about competition at this rate man. DP will have fizzled out by the time Aladdin even releases. 

9 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

If it happens, I could imagine two possibilities for a live-action Ash movie. 

I'll admit, my very first thoughts upon reading this were of a guy chopping off his hand and attaching a chainsaw and saying "groovy".

14 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

These would all be pretty bad entries for anyone not a hardcore Pokémon fan....and as we can see it really isn’t that big of a deal anymore. I doubt we see anything Pokémon related rushed into theaters now. 

True, true. I was just throwing ideas out there.

Honestly, if you don’t want to have the mythology baggage but still want to nod to it, something standalone about a young Pokémon trainer whose parents (John Cho and Rinko Kikuchi?) are familiar-looking Pokémon trainers or former trainers, just make them supporting characters, maybe even don’t say their names (or just have them referred to them as Satoshi and Kasumi?) or have a bunch of callbacks but drop signs so the parents in the audience know they are Ash and Misty (like maybe dad still has that hat and gives it to son/daughter).

Edited by TServo2049

I am interested in the Friday number for Pika. We’ve all been spoiled by Endgame. If Pika manages 50-60M opening, that would be a good opening. Just because the movie doesn’t over perform doesn’t make it a disappointment. 

• Like 1

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

You don’t need to worry about competition at this rate man. DP will have fizzled out by the time Aladdin even releases. 

That’s funny. I guess we shall see in 2 weeks 

the movie will already pass you’re 50 million ow prediction 

see I rather stay on negative side.