Happy Summer Movie Season. Play the summer game.

sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, kitik said:

wait til next year

it's looking like a real snoozefest

Next summer is officially looking like the least exciting summer box office wise I've ever seen. 

Next year is generally looking bad now with a boring as hell Christmas season, but with 2 Pixar originals, Dune and Nolan's original film, I am hoping for at least a few stand outs film quality wise.

Edited by NCsoft

3 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Nope. Looking at next year's slate, it's really weak compared to WB's or Uni's slates.

Is it? Black Widow, Eternals and Onward should make more DOM than all of those films sans Wondy 2, and BW is locked for a billion while Wondy 2, Minions 2 and F&F9 aren't. 

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

Next summer is officially looking that the least exciting summer box office I've ever seen. 

Next year is generally looking bad now with a boring as hell Christmas season, but with 2 Pixar originals, Dune and Nolan's original film, I am hoping for at least a few stand outs film quality wise.

Suicide Squad 2 could always move up to X-Mas 2020.

2 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Only good one was Cinderella(2015).

I'd say my favourite is TJB, followed closely by Cinderella, didn't like anything else.

Something tells me that if anything could be the MCU’s SOLO moment it would be Black Widow. Depends on where they go with it though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cookie said:

Top Gun 2 feels like Independence Day 2 all over again

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

Cruise is back. Big Will wasn't back for ID 2.

We've already mentioned The Mummy a few times this weekend I think, so Cruise is far from perfect.

But after Mission Impossible Fallout, I definitely won't write off Top Gun too early.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Is it? Black Widow, Eternals and Onward should make more DOM than all of those films sans Wondy 2, and BW is locked for a billion while Wondy 2, Minions 2 and F&F9 aren't. 

BW is more likely to do half of a billion than over it. The spectacle isn't there as CM or BP.

3 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Only good one was Cinderella(2015).

Wasn't that the first of these live action adaptations?

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

BW is more likely to do half of a billion than over it. The spectacle isn't there as CM or BP.

Black Widow will be the highest grossing funnybook movie 2020. Gonna be riding on the coattails of Endgame. 

Just now, cookie said:

Something tells me that if anything could be the MCU’s SOLO moment it would be Black Widow. Depends on where they go with it though.

Knowing what we know about her character in Endgame, I'm not too excited for it.

Just now, Noodlebug said:

Is Alice in Wonderland THAT forgotten? (Not that I’m complaining, from all I understand it was dogshit.)

Honestly if Paramount doesn’t get their shit together quickly they’re gonna end up like Fox. With Disney buying Fox I wouldn’t doubt that WarnerMedia or Comcast make a play for them.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, TServo2049 said:

Is Alice in Wonderland THAT forgotten? (Not that I’m complaining, from all I understand it was dogshit.)

considering how its sequel bombed so hard that its worlwide gross didn't even beat the original's dom gross, yeah.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Furious 9 is a lock for $1B+ because of China. Minions will do $1B+ despite how bad and generic the first one was because those yellow cuties have lots and lots of fans and because of China. I'm not too sure abot WW84 making a billion. The first one was really weak overseas. I don't know what changed to expect that it will have increased OS numbers.

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

Agreed. I don’t even get the reasoning for this movie to actually exist but whatever. At least I guess the budget will be low. Is Eternals supposed to come out next summer, this has all the potential in the world and yes I know that they are unknown and this is completely irrelevant to its box office potential. Eternals has the potential to be much bigger than GOTG.

3 minutes ago, Noodlebug said:

No it was the third.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Black Widow will be the highest grossing funnybook movie 2020. Gonna be riding on the coattails of Endgame. 

FFH is already coasting on Endgame zeitgeist though. Unless BW directly tries into EG I feel like it’ll be spent by then.

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Honestly if Paramount doesn’t get their shit together quickly they’re gonna end up like Fox. With Disney buying Fox I wouldn’t doubt that WarnerMedia or Comcast make a play for them.

Disney should buy Paramount. I can't wait for the MCU/Mission Impossible cross-over!

/s

Just now, TServo2049 said:

Alice was way back in 2010. It technically counts, I guess, but the live action adaptations of the 80's/90's Disney classics started in 2015 with Cinderella, I believe. After that, we had Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, Aladdin, TLK, Mulan, etc.

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Next summer is officially looking like the least exciting summer box office wise I've ever seen. 

next summer looks alright at the box office...

Jungle Cruise, Black Widow, Top Gun, wonder woman, fast and furious, Ghostbusters, Minions, Pixar,

and of course... N.O.L.A.N.