sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

https://deadline.com/2019/05/pokemon-detective-pikachu-avengers-endgame-box-office-weekend-1202611690/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Legendary/Warner Bros. Ryan Reynolds-voiced pic gobbled up $5.7M last night from showtimes beginning at 4PM. It a great amount not far from New Line’s $5.9M Thursday night for Shazam! which turned in a $20.3M Friday for a $53.5M 3-day.

Pikachu also bests the preview nights of DreamWorks Animation’s How To Train Your Dragon 3 ($3M), Sony’s Spider-Man: Spider Verse from December ($3.5M) and Warner Bros.’ Lego Batman Move ($2.2M).

• Like 1

Just now, Curtis1986 said:

So I'm guessing this means anywhere between 45 to 50 million. Boring 

Where did you come up with this number 

dumbo did 2.6 million preview did 45 million 

how to train you’re dragon did 55 million with 3 million preview 

To be honest, was fully expecting this to go sub $5M previews considering my theaters, but I'll take it. Should do around $57M-$63M which is solid, not as big as we were predicting but solid.

In hindsight, we expected too much even with trailer views and buzz, and if it weren't for that budget, Pikachu wouldn't have much to worry about. At the end, this was another Mary Poppins Returns.

Now I'm going to leave cause I'm going to tell exactly how the thread will go down:

• PikaPika fanboys will either go in extreme denial mode or start lashing out due to the numbers
  • The hardcore MCU fanboys will do what the hardcore DCEU fanboys did when Poppins underperformed and bombard the hell out of the thread.
  • The thread eventually devolves into a glorified fanboy brawl
  • Like 3

11-13x the previews gives 63-74 ow. I feel better than not shot at beating AEG for #1. 

Needs 53x multi to get to 300 ow @CJohn

But that's not cool anymore anyway. :)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

To be honest anywhere from $40M-$70M wouldn’t surprise me. Hoping more towards the latter after it’s looking likely to die in China.

• Like 1