sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

10 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Kong Vs Zilla should move back to next summer, and Spongebob to August in my opinion. Does Warner not have much confidence in Kong VS Zilla?!!!!!

They already have Wonder Woman 1984 opening in June and the new Nolan movie in July. Plus, Skull Island did great in March, and next March's playing field is rather empty, apart from the Mulan remake and Onward which are both family films and will likely skew different demographics compared to GVZ. Although, with August being empty, it wouldn't be unwise to move it to their "event slot" in that month.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

They already have Wonder Woman 1984 opening in June and the new Nolan movie in July. And the March playing field is rather empty, apart from the Mulan remake and Onward, which are both family films and will likely skew different demographics compared to GVZ. Although, with August being empty, it wouldn't be unwise to move it to their "event slot" in that month.

Mulan... billie?!?

The "Tolkien" biopic is being getting weak reviews, and that is pretty much the ballgame for this kind of film.

Biggest criticism is that it fails to show how Tolkien's early life influcned his books. If true,  sort of makes the whole thing pointless.

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

Lmao no. Not with the changes made to it to try to make China like it more.

buuuut... what if those changes work? And China eats it up? 🤔

Just now, TMP said:

buuuut... what if those changes work? And China eats it up? 🤔

Not in America. If China likes it it can do like 700-800. It's going to crash domestically though because of how different it is.

Spoiler

No Mushu, no Shang etc etc

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Not in America. If China likes it it can do like 700-800. It's going to crash domestically though because of how different it is.

Reveal hidden contents

wtf...

ok then, $600m China... $90m DOM.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

wtf...

ok then, $600m China... $90m DOM.

This ain't getting that kind of reception in China. At most I can see 400 if China likes it. If the dislike it like...100-150 max.

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Lmao no. Not with the changes made to it to try to make China like it more.

I think a lot of people don't realise that there are already a few Mulan adaptations made in China and even more historical epics from them. Just because there are Chinese people and the movie is very Chine centric in it doesn't mean it will instantly become popular there. Look at Crazy Rich Asians for example.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I think a lot of people don't realise that there are already a few Mulan adaptations made in China and even more historical epics from them. Just because there are Chinese people and the movie is very Chine centric in it doesn't mean it will instantly become popular there. Look at Crazy Rich Asians for example.

Exactly. China gets rep constantly in their film industry seeing how their industry is one of the biggest in the world. They don't need America.

16 minutes ago, TMP said:

Mulan... billie?!?

It's possible. Even with only 200M DOM, it would need around 250 from China and then matching Maleficent everywhere else OS to reach it. But I think it makes 350-450 NA/China combined and then maybe 300-400 from the remaining OS.

45 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I knew that the Pikachu weekend thread would be a great thread for me to go on another defense of how Serenity rules.  Literally.  There's a character called THE RULES.  How can you not love this movie?

You're not alone, I loved that movie too. Most of persons who disliked it are lazy people that doesn't like to embrace creepiness.

6 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Surprising to me China just flat out rejected Crazy Rich Asians. One of my top ten favorite movies of last year.

Not surprising at all to me. An Asian rom-com is hardly a unique or special thing to China. Why watch a western one when you can simply just watch one of the million Chinese ones instead?

• Like 3