sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

25 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Not nearly as romantic since it was far more about wacky and nasty friends and friends than the couple who were dull together - especially him who didn't do much aside from stand there and look pretty.

Youre dead to me. Chris Evans sucks!

😆

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

MGM’s The Hustle via UAR is looking at a $3.5M Friday and an estimated $12M opening weekend for third place in 3,007. Lionsgate’s Long Shot is looking at a sweet hold of -18% or $8M for a 10-day of $21.6M in 4th.

STX’s Poms in fifth is eyeing $6.3M at 2,750 for the weekend after an estimated Friday of $1.75M.

The Hustle & Poms aren't getting the benefit of Mother's Day  bounces which would give 4x+ multis

The Hustle might not hit the mark but Poms?  

Edited by TalismanRing

That 18 million would be an excellent jump for Endgame. However, Deadline estimated 44 million for Endgame last Friday and they were off by about 4 million. Good number for Pika too. I prefer to wait for our Asgardians. Trust them over Deadline. 

If Endgame follows IW's Mother's Day weekend

Of course, Pikachu is taking a bigger chunk of some of Endgame's target audiences compared to Breaking In/Life of the Party, so we shouldn't expect it to hold that well. But that 70M figure doesn't seem that off

• Like 2

I feel they're off about Pika too. Still think they're in for a surprise. Pikachu will beat it's tracking. A 20 million opening weekend should at least indicate a 60 million OW.  That's with a 11 IM.

Family film multipliers Pika should be looking at a 12/13 IM which puts it well above the tracking to a 67/74 OW. 

Edited by Cappoedameron

And that's if it were to stay flat. Most schools besides for colleges are still in rn, my little brother for example only gets out at 3:15. Friday night shows should be high for Pikachu.

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

If Pikachu does $20M today, why would it stop at $53M OW?

Question asked...

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Ah 3 PM Deadline estimates. Did not miss those at all.

Question answered. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

unsure about the states but here in Canada, Endgame is beating DP handily today. 

Canadians not supporting their fellow Canadian? 🤔

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

If Endgame follows IW's Mother's Day weekend

Of course, Pikachu is taking a bigger chunk of some of Endgame's target audiences compared to Breaking In/Life of the Party, so we shouldn't expect it to hold that well. But that 70M figure doesn't seem that off

The Pika figures seem off though.

14 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I actually think it'll work out really well for Jumanji, but that would be a 1 year delay, considering they are done with shooting, they'll probably make it on time this year.

Yeah, but it's May and there's still absolutely nada when it comes to marketing or hints at it. And even though it will do well no matter what, I imagine that The Rise Of Skywalker will increase from The Last Jedi, while Jumanji 3 could dip from Welcome To The Jungle even without the stiffer competition. Plus a lot of smaller films aiming for the comedy and family audiences respectively. I think it would be wiser for Sony to move to a space with less competition. That being said, I imagine they will stick to their guns and Jumanji will do great nonetheless, but I really wouldn't be surprised if they moved it up that one year to take advantage of the currently dead space that is December 2020 (no, the West Side Story remake won't be big, if Mary fucking Poppins wasn't).

12 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Also no big blockbusters outside of Eternals and if Godzilla KOTM is loved, they can use it to build up hype.

While we are at WB should put Scoob the second weekend of May, more time for legs, Spongebob will die anyways and I doubt Black Widow does more than say TWS numbers. 

WB does have the Dune reboot at the end of November, but if anything, that would just incite double-screenings with GVK and help that movie, which probably could do well with the help since I don't see it doing that much better than Blade Runner 2049 atm. If it does, it's entirely because it will play somewhat strongly during Christmas while 2049 was basically dead by December.

And Hell, they don't need KOTM to be loved: Godzilla Vs. Kong will be huge nonetheless. It's fucking Godzilla Vs. Kong. The title alone will make everyone will shit their pants. However, KOTM looks amazing and if it is great, then yes, that would tremendously help WB in pushing the hype for GVK.

As for Scoob, the Detective Pikachu release date ain't that great of an idea, not just because SpongeBob 3 (which I think you're underestimating) carries a lot of strong will through both his own brand and the previous movie - which made 160M DOM in Goddamn March - but also because of that Pixar movie in June. And then Minions 2 in July. Add Artemis Fowl on Memorial Day, Jungle Cruise also in July and an untitled Sony Animated film at the end of July - competition that may not be strong, but is still vowing for that audience nonetheless - and Scoob would turn out to be in the wrong end of the ordeal. And in August, too many family releases will have already been out and the weekdays aren't that strong anymore. Scoob simply doesn't belong in the Summer, period. If I were to make moves for WB, besides GVK to Christmas, I'd put Scoob in the Hotel Transylvania 1/2 slot, aka mid September. There's Mitchells Vs. Machines in that month, but Scoob would easily trump it (Sony would move it for sure). Plus, I think it would benefit a lot from Halloween season appeal, as Scooby-Doo is a perfect kid-friendly Halloween franchise. And Smallfoot did pretty solid business in September last year, so it's not impossible for WAG films to succeed there, even if Storks and Ninjago didn't do so great.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I would think at least high 50s would happen with a 20m Friday

That is 14.3 true friday. Its fanboy driven franchise product as well. There is family aspect but its not increase that much on opening saturday. But Sunday hold should be very good with Mothers day.

But let us wait until evening for a more accurate picture. Its not even 1230PST.

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Canadians not supporting their fellow Canadian? 🤔

nah Avengers movies are leggy here generally then states. 

Like we are 12% of population of Canada but EG was only 8% of the opening weekend.

(28 million vs 357 million) 

like IW had 19.7/63 million run here lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep