sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

Dumbo did $2.6m with Thursday previews, was part of an already established fan-base, and people were predicting $50-60m. I don't know why Pika Pika would act so much more fanboy heavy than Dumbo, especially since it's the first cinematic foray for Pokémon while Dumbo was like the sixth live-action Disney adaptation (seventh if Pete's Dragon counts).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2

11 minutes ago, Alli said:

is it really?   

anyway, this has a fanbase.  i dont expect a high multiplier

Many family films with a fanbase have had a high multiplier. The Jurassic World films have had a high multiplier and they aren't even family films. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KJsooner said:

Hoping for 70 mil ow. The Lorax made 70 ow. It’s midnights was around 4 mil right?

The Lorax opened in what might as well be a whole different box office era. Not gonna be a helpful comparison here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

Dumbo didn’t have 4pm previews?

From what I saw in the tracking thread it seemed like the 4 PM previews didn't do much anyway.  Dumbo had 6 PM previews so it's not too far off either.  I don't think this argument really works unless there's a significant time difference between the two start times (if Dumbo's previews started at 8 or 9, then it probably wouldn't work as a comparison, but they still started relatively early)

Seems quite optimistic

Still the Anthony and Joe Russo Brothers-directed feature made $7.5M last night, the best for all films in regular release, putting its two week running total at $660.4M. The film will cross $700M this weekend and likely Black Panther this weekend, to become the third highest film at the domestic B.O. with third weekend estimates in the $80M-$85M range.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/pokemon-detective-pikachu-avengers-endgame-box-office-weekend-1202611690/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Seems quite optimistic

Still the Anthony and Joe Russo Brothers-directed feature made $7.5M last night, the best for all films in regular release, putting its two week running total at $660.4M. The film will cross $700M this weekend and likely Black Panther this weekend, to become the third highest film at the domestic B.O. with third weekend estimates in the $80M-$85M range.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/pokemon-detective-pikachu-avengers-endgame-box-office-weekend-1202611690/

Yeah, I don't think Deadline learned from last weekend

• Haha 6

Just now, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Seems quite optimistic

Yeah...No.

Im a MCU fan, and Endgame isn’t doing a 80-85 mil 3rd weekend. Put the crackpipe down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1