sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

3 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Please God let Aladdin open to 100+ million, I want to see the absolute shock.

If not, I can wait for Lion King to do 250 million.

I hope Aladdin opens to 50M and I hope Lion King opens to 100M.  Both would be hilariously below expectations and would put an immediate hold on Disney shitting out three live action remakes a year (four if you count Disney+)

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 3

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

they hired Madonna’s ex husband to direct it and now it looks like a downer. 

I doubt anyone outside of internet forums boards or critics will actually care about who is directing the movie. Heck, Disney gets that because in the trailers and TV spots they're not advertising his name or saying "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF SHERLOCK HOLMES". It's not like he's Tim Burton or Jon Favreau. Hell, I forgot he was directing it until quite recently.

The real reason Aladdin's judged harsher online compared to Beauty and the Beast is because it's the hardest one to remake due to Robin Williams being fantastic as the genie. The genie makes or breaks the movie. Not Jafar, not Aladdin, not Jasmine, the genie. And outside one rough shot during the Sneak Peek a few months back, he looks fine. It all rests on Will Smith to make the genie his own (ie just like Robin Williams being Robin Williams while voicing the genie, Will Smith has to be Will Smith performing the genie).

None of the Disney remakes so far has had the utter contempt towards it than Aladdin does.

But if Aladdin fails, it's not going to really matter. Lion King is just around the bend and Disney knows EVERYONE will go to that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I doubt anyone outside of internet forums boards or critics will actually care about who is directing the movie. Heck, Disney gets that because in the trailers and TV spots they're not advertising his name or saying "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF SHERLOCK HOLMES". It's not like he's Tim Burton or Jon Favreau. Hell, I forgot he was directing it until quite recently.

The real reason Aladdin's judged harsher online compared to Beauty and the Beast is because it's the hardest one to remake due to Robin Williams being fantastic as the genie. The genie makes or breaks the movie. Not Jafar, not Aladdin, not Jasmine, the genie. And outside one rough shot during the Sneak Peek a few months back, he looks fine. It all rests on Will Smith to make the genie his own (ie just like Robin Williams being Robin Williams while voicing the genie, Will Smith has to be Will Smith performing the genie).

None of the Disney remakes so far has had the utter contempt towards it than Aladdin does.

But if Aladdin fails, it's not going to really matter. Lion King is just around the bend and Disney knows EVERYONE will go to that.

It might look better in trailers if it wasn't being directed by Ritchie.

Aladdin has been running on Broadway for years.  I've seen it and the Genie still works wonderfully.  I missed Iago, Abu and the carpet though - as well as the visual scope of the film.  These are things I would look forward to being re-created in live action if it didn't look so meh.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It might look better in trailers if it wasn't being directed by Ritchie.

Aladdin has been running on Broadway for years.  I've seen it and the Genie still works wonderfully.  I missed Iago, Abu and the carpet though - as well as the visual scope of the film.  These are things I would look forward to being re-created in live action if it didn't look so meh.

Outside of the slow motion, it looks no more different than Beauty and the Beast did. It already looks better than King Arthur, though admittedly that's easy to pull off.

Again, all comes down to the genie. Out of everything that's come out, the single worst reaction to the movie was that first look at the genie. We all know what it was like and how people reacted. But I also know a lot of those same people changed tunes after the trailer and more recent TV spots. Sure there are some people that seem to not like how Jafar is being handled, but the genie is the only real thing people care about . . .that and A Whole New World.

James Iglehart made the genie his own and pulls it off wonderfully.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

(four if you count Disney+)

Why is Lady & The Tramp the biggest gig that Justin Theroux got post-The Leftovers? He's soooo good in that show.

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I hope Aladdin opens to 50M and I hope Lion King opens to 100M.  Both would be hilariously below expectations and would put an immediate hold on Disney shitting out three live action remakes a year (four if you count Disney+)

I’m indifferent even though I hate these films with a burning passion because of the lack of respect for the original by the team behind as on the bright side, outside of The Little Mermaid and Mulan, Disney has nothing else to remake that’ll make them big money.

Would anyone care about a live action Treasure Planet? Brother Bear? Pocahontas? Hercules? Notre Dame? Sure they can actually improve upon that but Disney is lazy when it comes to these and adds unnecessary filler. The only things that have a chance to make them money is Lilo and Stitch and the other 2010-2019 era film won’t be big or valuable until the late 2030s, people wouldn’t care for sequels to these things as most are closed books afterwards and Pixar wouldn’t dare let them touch their originals.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

44 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The sad thing is, no one should be shocked at $100m opening for a live action Aladdin. 

Its Aladdin.

It should be doing Beauty and the Beast numbers, but they hired Madonna’s ex husband to direct it and now it looks like a downer. 

I am not sure that is fair to Guy Ritchie;he was a brilliant director when he was doing those great crime thrillers back in the late 90's and early 2000's,

But that marriage to Madonna did something to him, and he has not been the same director since.

Instead of doing the kind of modern film noir he is so good at he is trying to be another Spielberg. "King Arthur" showed that he and fantasy are a bad,bad, mix and I expect no better quality wise from "Aladdin".

I am glad that with his next film he is returning to his roots an doing crime thrillers; no one does those better then Ritchie. But with Fantasy he is hopeless.

39 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It seems like nitpicking to me. She is sitting next to one of the funniest dudes in the world and she is about to have her breakout released. Give her a break.

I see the UK is still salty about that Jade girl not being picked as Jasmine. When Naomi was first picked, they even had the hashtag #NotMyJasmine. Pathetic really.

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Would anyone care about a live action Treasure Planet? Brother Bear? Pocahontas? Hercules? Notre Dame? Sure they can actually improve upon that but Disney is lazy when it comes to these and adds unnecessary filler. The only things that have a chance to make them money is Lilo and Stitch and the other 2010-2019 era film won’t be big or valuable until the late 2030s, people wouldn’t care for sequels to these things as most are closed books afterwards and Pixar wouldn’t dare let them touch their originals.

Live Action remake of The Rescuers or we riot!

And it better be a trilogy too!

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m indifferent even though I hate these films with a burning passion because of the lack of respect for the original by the team behind as on the bright side, outside of The Little Mermaid and Mulan, Disney has nothing else to remake that’ll make them big money.

The problem is the realy good Disney animated films from the Disney Renassaince  are being used up, and only the weaker ones remain.

:Lion King was sort of the high point of the Disney Animatation Renassiance, and it was downhill from there. Only "Mulan" approached the earlier films in quality.

I could care less about the whole "Live Action Remakes of Animated Films" genre;I have the originals on DVD,not interested in a copy.

And,frankly, I think that some of them will work much better as animated filma anyway, "Aladdn" among them.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Live Action remake of The Rescuers or we riot!

And it better be a trilogy too!

Hey, I want a Oliver and Company live action film!

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

Why is Lady & The Tramp the biggest gig that Justin Theroux got post-The Leftovers? He's soooo good in that show.

And, surprise, the Siamese Cat number from Lady and the Trump is being dropped........

• Like 1

If Deadline is right about the Friday numbers, then I don’t understand why we are even questioning 70M+ for Endgame and 55-60M for Pika. Am I missing something? I took a look at Mother’s Day on BOM for the past few years. Most  movies saw great Sunday holds with small decreases or in many cases increases. 

At the same time, I wouldn't really be bothered if Aladdin bombs because, it really is a one and done type of story. It has a beginning, middle and happy ending. 

Only one of the remakes deserves a sequel and it's Jungle Book

Edited by Yandereprime101189

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Hey, I want a Oliver and Company live action film!

I got to admit, a very very weird side of me wants to see the "live action" versions of Robin Hood and/or The Sword in the Stone.

They'd certainly have to go to Disney+, but dammit, I think they could be gold.

I ain't kidding here, either.  Especially The Sword and the Stone one. :ph34r:

• Like 1