sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Dumbo previews started at 6pm, not 4pm, so it had a full 1 full showing less possible per screen...so, it's not comparable...

The 4pm shows were mostly at 10-20% occupcity. Some of even lower 

even if if you took 500k away from detective pikachu. It still doubles dumbo previews 

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

Dumbo did $2.6m with Thursday previews, was part of an already established fan-base, and people were predicting $50-60m. I don't know why Pika Pika would act so much more fanboy heavy than Dumbo, especially since it's the first cinematic foray for Pokémon while Dumbo was like the sixth live-action Disney adaptation (seventh if Pete's Dragon counts).

Dumbo did not have a fan base that consisted of young adults who grew up with the IP - of course DP would be more fanboy heavy.  The 4pm shows are also going to make it more front loaded.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Yikes it's doing badly in China. And the pika fanboys convinced me that it would beat Aladdin over there. It seems Aladdin will come up victorious in China too

Aladdin isn't going to even make Pikachu's OW lol. Aladdin will be hurt for the same reason Pikachu was hurt. I have a question for long-time users. Is this guy's shtick being negative towards every movie ever (except for Aladdin it seems)?

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

The embargo drops on the day of release,

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Judging by aladdin early reviews. That movie won’t be doing much anywhere 

Oh dang, is this true?

Should we lower expectations to Dumbo levels?

Just now, kitik said:

Oh dang, is this true?

Should we lower expectations to Dumbo levels?

Not that low since Aladdin is more popular than Dumbo, but I'd set expectations pretty low. That everything in May under 80 OW is looking pretty good. I wonder if I can still join

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Either Pikachu's momentum peaked too early with that first trailer or maybe it was never destined to be a juggernaut in the first place and we overestimated the impact of that first trailer.

Image result for why not both gif

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Dumbo did not have a fan base that consisted of young adults who grew up with the IP - of course DP would be more fanboy heavy.  The 4pm shows are also going to make it more front loaded.

Dumbo had a pretty bad IM for a family film, and isn't the main pull of these "live action remakes" to play on the nostalgia of adults who grew up with these films? Certainly seems like a better comparison point than PG-13 superhero films.