sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

3 minutes ago, kitik said:

Oh dang, is this true?

Should we lower expectations to Dumbo levels?

Sub-$60m OW for all three big May openers is happening...

and john wick 3 over $60m OW

1 minute ago, Sam said:

4PM previews is just ridiculous. Is WB the only one doing that atm? Really hope no other studios follow suit.

They did this last year with Teen Titans too. The numbers made me think it would do a lot better than it ended up doing. :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

the video games fans are busy playing their games. they don't have time to go to the cinema. they did make time to watch the trailer tho

Wow don't insult me.

I was busy watching my fantasy baseball stats

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Dumbo had a pretty bad IM for a family film, and isn't the main pull of these "live action remakes" to play on the nostalgia of adults who grew up with these films? Certainly seems like a better comparison point than PG-13 superhero films.

How to train you’re dragon 3 had to successful movies before it and had a amazing RT 

and it did 3 million 

so talk about established fan base 

2 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

Why are 4pm previews becoming a thing anyway? 

Theoretically a theater will still make more from a mostly empty 4pm early preview than from a 4pm showing of a movie that is about to be pulled from the theater.

That said, yeah, keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't fully "become a thing". It's not a 100% guarantee yet. Heck, Far From Home seems to have done the opposite and gone back to actual midnights.

I say we all boycott the 4pm showings of Godzilla and wait until 7.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Lot of people here are being way too presumptuous without even seeing how this movie plays out.  For all we know, it'll play much more like a family movie than a fanboy-driven one

Still think it will play as a hybrid

10 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Either Pikachu's momentum peaked too early with that first trailer or maybe it was never destined to be a juggernaut in the first place and we overestimated the impact of that first trailer.

I don’t get how a movie can have huge trailer reception but then people don’t show up. I know it happens, but how much of it is losing interest after seeing more of the movie in later trailers/hearing reviews, how much of it is just plain losing interest over time, how much is waiting for digital, how much is waiting for piracy, and how much is not actually being interested in the movie at all and just being temporarily hooked on it like any other viral video that fades from memory?

Part of me wishes studios would just drop these kinds of initial trailers that get great reception, right before release so that the movie will actually be there to see when the trailer is getting buzz. Instead we get them months out and by the time the movie comes out interest has often cooled.

Edited by TServo2049

...I like 4 PM showings :/ I wouldn't have seen TTG without it, and I beat the crowd who might still be at work and can't take kids to the showings until later.

Also Valerian was at 4PM and looked how that worked out :ph34r:

Edited by Morieris

For old people that might as well be a 10PM start

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Gotta have screenings before its target audience falls asleep

giphy-2.gif?w=500&h=210

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Thought it’d reach $6m, but that’s pretty close. With 10-11x, it’s looking at $57-63m. I had predicted $65-70m and it could still get there depending on how it plays over the weekend. 

I concur, exactly my thoughts and I predicted 65 million. Maybe it will surprise or the actuals will go up a bit and get us to 65

A movie about Pokemon that opens to 60 or 70 million is a fantastic opening. The only reason why it's not is because some of you bozos here got ridiculous with your expectations.

• Like 24

I still think Aladdin will do fine. I am not seeing the gloom and doom for it that some are thinking.

I still believe that the First Impressions it made is making some downplay it more than they should. To be fair though, it made a pretty bad first impression. Anyway it still has alot going for it. Popular 90s nostalgic movie, it looks more energetic than Dumbo will ever be, and it has the memorial day weekend. I still think it should make 100 million ow.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 2

Lot of people here are being way too presumptuous without even seeing how this movie plays out.  For all we know, it'll play much more like a family movie than a fanboy-driven one

Isn’t that kinda what happens on here everyday? Pikachu isn’t being spared from rampant speculation that happens with every movie with a fan base or “hype.” As long as those with differing opinions don’t get obnoxious about it, I think it’s fine to discuss the various ways it can play out. 

• Like 3