sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

People got to see what “live action” Pokemon looked like in all the ads. They probably could’ve hidden some to add some kinda curiosity. There isn’t a single Pokemon that’s in this movie that wasn’t in one of the ads.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

I really wanted to watch Endgame but I just can't, 3 hours is way too long for me, it's offputting..I'm quite hyperactive so being sit that long is pure pain...why the hell did they feel the need to do this?

It'll be easier to watch on Blu-Ray, at least I can have a break after I saw the 1st half of the movie.

I'll watch Detective pikachu instead, easier.

It's sad you people don't have patience to watch 3 hrs movie in a single sitting... In India every movie is almost 3 hrs so it's natural for us... And I remember when I was a kid watching hollywood movies it would be over in 2 hrs max and I  was like that's not a movie it finished way too early... 😊 I was ecstatic watching Titanic in 3D that movie was like it's not ending soon and it's fucking awesome.... 😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

By the way @Fullbuster do you binge watch anime? My current record is 750 episode of Naruto in 21 days and 808 episodes of One Piece in 24 days... I averaged almost 30-35 episode and highest is 40 episode in a single day... This was last year I haven't watched other One Piece episode starting from 809.. I'm still waiting for atleast 200 episode i.e when it will reach 1009... 

• Astonished 4

12 minutes ago, Nero said:

By the way @Fullbuster do you binge watch anime? My current record is 750 episode of Naruto in 21 days and 808 episodes of One Piece in 24 days... I averaged almost 30-35 episode and highest is 40 episode in a single day... This was last year I haven't watched other One Piece episode starting from 809.. I'm still waiting for atleast 200 episode i.e when it will reach 1009... 

Wow :o

No, never that much :o

The best I did was 10 episodes in one day I think, maybe 12. I avoid to "binge" anything (anime, movies, videogames..) because I know it'll lead to a terrible, painful headache. It's usually 2-3 episodes of naime per day on average.

Edited by Fullbuster

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I really wanted to watch Endgame but I just can't, 3 hours is way too long for me, it's offputting..I'm quite hyperactive so being sit that long is pure pain...why the hell did they feel the need to do this?

It'll be easier to watch on Blu-Ray, at least I can have a break after I saw the 1st half of the movie.

I'll watch Detective pikachu instead, easier.

It's like 30 min longer than IW. It's not that bad.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

It's sad you people don't have patience to watch 3 hrs movie in a single sitting... In India every movie is almost 3 hrs so it's natural for us... And I remember when I was a kid watching hollywood movies it would be over in 2 hrs max and I  was like that's not a movie it finished way too early... 😊 I was ecstatic watching Titanic in 3D that movie was like it's not ending soon and it's fucking awesome.... 😎

But every movie released in India has an intermission halfway through, including Endgame. Thats not the case in many other countries.

Looking back last year on mother's Day Sunday, films that had family audiences and or a strong female presence or theme actually increased on Sunday. I don't know what that means for Pikachu but I would imagine the hustle will probably increase on Sunday. I'm a little bit surprised that the hustle actually had a B- CS. That's way more generous than it deserves. 

-28% Sunday seems about right for EG.

So a 62-64 weekend looks about right.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Looking back last year on mother's Day Sunday, films that had family audiences and or a strong female presence or theme actually increased on Sunday. I don't know what that means for Pikachu but I would imagine the hustle will probably increase on Sunday. I'm a little bit surprised that the hustle actually had a B- CS. That's way more generous than it deserves. 

I noticed that too. Looks like you were spot on with your 63M prediction for Endgame after the Thursday number. At the time, some including me believed that was way too low. In any event, Pika had a nice opening. Can’t blame the film for people over estimating it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

For a mainstream comedy, a B- CS grade is pretty bad even if it's not quite the D+ that Holmes & Watson got.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nero said:

The most I have done till date is 14 FRIENDS episode and GoT S6 in one go.

Wait I have watched LoTR Extended & Hobbit Trilogy in 35 hours.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Astonished 2
  • Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

To me that would indicate End Game would do just fine. Pika maybe not so much. Hustle was so horrendous on WOM I don't see how it gets a bump but maybe Saturday was that bad?

64-65 for me so I'm not much different. Also dependent upon 27.5 not being revised down.

Regardless, I agree with Ladyhawk your 63 call was very good. Next week IW plummeted so it should at least match, probably beat as DP did merely ok.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

To me that would indicate End Game would do just fine. Pika maybe not so much. Hustle was so horrendous on WOM I don't see how it gets a bump but maybe Saturday was that bad?

64-65 for me so I'm not much different. Also dependent upon 27.5 not being revised down.

Regardless, I agree with Ladyhawk your 63 call was very good. Next week IW plummeted so it should at least match, probably beat as DP did merely ok.

Although, Pika is arguably the more family friendly movie between the two, scanning the theaters in NYC this morning, Endgame is slaughtering Pika. Of course, it is early, so there isn’t much in the way of accounting for walk-ups and late bookings. Just going on seats already sold, one could guess that either Endgame has a relatively soft drop or Pika has a huge drop. This is anecdotal, so we shall see. 

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Although, Pika is arguably the more family friendly movie between the two, scanning the theaters in NYC this morning, Endgame is slaughtering Pika. Of course, it is early, so there isn’t much in the way of accounting for walk-ups and late bookings. Just going on seats already sold, one could guess that either Endgame has a relatively soft drop or Pika has a huge drop. This is anecdotal, so we shall see. 

I hope Pika holds up and does 55+. Novas 55 and 65+ prediction would be lovely. Good info thanks :)

• Like 1

Maybe the problem with Pikachu is just that the budget is so high. although these days it seems like a hundred and fifty million for a budget is very common practice which is kind of scary. Again I don't know anything about Pokemon, I do realize it's a worldwide phenom but I know it's also a video game and that very rarely ever translates into massive box office.

We've  established that my boxoffice skills are definitely waning and I'm not nearly as sharp as I was even five years ago. But I did say a few months ago that there's no way Pikachu would open to more than 60 million. And that was just based on the fact that video games just don't translate into massive box office. So I at least got that one right.

• Like 9

Yeah I've said 65 for a month with no confidence at all in either direction. Certainly with every forecast plummeting the days before open I was feeling a bit high .

Budget was way too high. Shazam was able to afford the sub 400 WW. DP can't and frankly it will probably be under that.