sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

Pokemon's problem is Endgame, which is still drawing serious bank. Much better for Pokemon if it had a clear field to itself. 

Likewise, Pokemon cut in to Endgame's take as well, which is why both came in a bit under expectations for the weekend.  Endgame can just afford it a lot more than Pokemon can.

Edited by SteveJaros

Wish both films were bigger this weekend. Maybe we've just been spoiled the last couple of weeks with gangbusters for numbers lol

I think Pikachu probably could've performed better with less competition. Like maybe back in February? As long as it's enough of a success for more movies though, I'll be happy. I really enjoyed the movie

I was saying this back in November when the 1st trailer for Pikachu was released (believe it was @Nova who I discussed this with, though I could be wrong): it would be hurt by the close release to Avengers as well as a fuck ton of other family films and it should move to THIS November. No one believed me back then and just assumed Pikachu would scare the competition away instead (and Hell, I bought into that after a while). Should've followed my original instinct, WB :ph34r:

Edited by MCKillswitch123

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I was saying this back in November when the 1st trailer for Pikachu was released (believe it was @Nova who I discussed this with, though I could be wrong): it would be hurt by the close release to Avengers as well as a fuck ton of other family films and it should move to THIS November. No one believed me back then and just assumed Pikachu would scare the competition away instead (and Hell, I bought into that after a while). Should've followed my original instinct, WB :ph34r:

I think February 2019 would've been the best bet.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

To be honest November would've been bad too because then it would've been in the shadow of Frozen II, which is likely headed for numbers somewhere in the Finding Dory/Incredibles 2 range.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

I think February 2019 would've been the best bet.

The Lego Movie 2 was already there. It would also be hit by How To Train Your Dragon 3, Captain Marvel and Dumbo. Shazam could have helped its late legs, sure, but then Endgame would crash them down yet again. Pikachu is the far bigger investment between it and Lego, meaning it would make more sense for it to come out after the Avengers juggernaut, + Lego had already worked twice before in February.

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be honest November would've been bad too because then it would've been in the shadow of Frozen II, which is likely headed for numbers somewhere in the Finding Dory/Incredibles 2 range.

That's a fair point, but at the same time, it's hard to find room for it just about anywhere else. Even though it would be struck by Frozen, Frozen skews more heavily female, while Pikachu is probably either four quadrant or male-skewing. August is a tough choice cause it would come in the shadow of The Lion King, which I think would be even worse for Pikachu than Avengers is being right now, and in September and October, It: Chapter 2 and Joker would swallow the hype as well. Maybe first weekend of November, where we've had a long list of big hits over the years. It would be hit bad by Frozen, but then it'd have the Thanksgiving week to make up for that. Besides that, the only other place I can think of is Christmas, but I don't think it would make any more money opening on Christmas than it will from its May opening.

Edited by MCKillswitch123