LOGAN'sLuckyRun

Godzilla is not King of Monsters | UNDER $60m OW | MERGED THREAD | NOT TRYING TO SAY "I TOLD YOU SO" BUT...

Posted (edited)

[Mod Edit:This is a merged thread.  Please review your choice below. 

IN:UNDER $60m

OUT:OVER $60m]

Hello boyz and gurlz, it's your favorite box office bullshitter, LOGAN'sLuckyRun!

gyMaPRv.png

Ain't I adorable?

Don't answer that! What I'm ACTUALLY here for, is to bring a brand, booty spankin' new club to this awesome forum! You all might remember my Teen Titans and Venom clubs. The latter of which was a great success, so I decided to make another. "What is it, LLR?" you may ask. Well, user who didn't bother to read the title, I'm here to propose the idea that:

GODZILLA WILL MAKE LESS THAN 60M ON ITS OPENING WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SMOKIN', LLR?!" You may ask. But I'm serious, and my high went down hours ago.

Why I feel that Godzilla will underperform:

• The first film didn't have great reception. The audience score on RT is a lukewarm 66%, 3% lower than recommended 
  • The original's legs weren't great either, dropping nearly 67% on its second weekend. 
  • I don't know anyone who wants to see this thing. Granted not very good reasoning but anyone who is familiar with my posts shouldn't be expecting logical thinking from me anyway.
  • It's very possible Endgame will still be taking up a lot of theater space as well as Pikachu and John Wick.

Yep, those are the reasons I believe Godzilla will fail to meet expectations. I don't think it will flat out flop/lose money but I don't think it will be the smash hit people think it will be. Hopefully you got this far down without cringing yourself to death from my amazing jokes.

SO WHO'S WITH ME!?

#MonsterMash (IN):

@Alli

@TMP

@doublejack

@WittyUsername

@ZattMurdock

#MonsterBash (OUT):

@JGAR4LIFE

@Brainbug

@Mulder

@movies!movies!

@stealthyfrog

@ScoobyDoo21

@kaijukurt

@KJsooner

@NoobSaibot

@FlashMaster659

@Porthos

@Menor

@captainwondyful

@KP1025

@dakus

@Caveman Sam

@MCKillswitch123

@Godzilla

@Ethan Hunt

@Darth Lehnsherr

@harrisonisdead

@Not really

@a2k

@AnDr3s

@Avatree

@ZeeSoh

@RichWS

@junkshop36

@Warmaster506

@Yandereprime101189

@PDC1987

@Spectre

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2

Out.

Spoiler

Screw you.

Spoiler

Pls dont take it personal, thats not meant to be serious :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

In.

Pika Pika, L-addin and Godzilla will all open sub-$60m OW.

Also, is that title a Nietzsche reference?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah i can see this happening.

Its been what 5 years, plus i am sure there are some that are still disappointed in Godzilla 2014. I know i was. You don't focus on the cool fire breating lizard. Lets instead focus on a character so bland that you'd think he was a protagnoist from a triple AAA game.

Also allowing Bryan Cranston who was the best part of movie to die 30 minutes in was a horrible idea.

i guess i am out but barely. a 65 million dollar opening should be what we see.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Thanks 1

Btw for this club to happen one of two things'd need to happen pre-sales wise.

1. They just absolutely collapse once they go wide or 2. Me and @Porthos have been entirely wrong with tracking the early presales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Btw for this club to happen one of two things'd need to happen pre-sales wise.

1. They just absolutely collapse once they go wide or 2. Me and @Porthos have been entirely wrong with tracking the early presales.

I'm already leaning heavily OUT, yes. :)  Do want to see what the first couple of official days look like before pulling the trigger officially. But at first blush I'm not liking this club's chances.

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I'm already leaning heavily OUT, yes. :)  Do want to see what the first couple of official days look like before pulling the trigger officially. But at first blush I'm not liking this club's chances.

I'm out because I'm obligated to but you're def taking the logical approach. If for some reason the pre-sales just absolutely collapse when they go wide then yeah this is probably happening but that's a big If. Not an impossibility but...a big If.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I can be pretty unbiased when it comes to Godzilla, so I think I know one possible reason why it appears that there is a good amount of upfront interest for this film.

Near as I can tell, the #1 complaint about G2014 was there wasn't much Godzilla/Godzilla fighting in it.  Now whether or not that's actually true, I have no idea.  More to the point, I can't say I really care.  Beyond that, again from what I heard, the film was competently made and didn't really leave a sour/bad taste in folk's mouths.  They just wanted more kaiju action.

Well in a film that is literally called 'King of the Monsters', has the Big G front and center in all its promos, and is promising monster battles...

... Well it seems like the #1 complaint (lack of big critters fighting) has been addressed.

That more than anything (along with an anticipation for next year's flick) might be why there is in fact upfront demand.  Folks are looking forward to their monsters throwin' down. 

@BoxOfficeZ, @Brainbug, and @Mulder can correct me if I'm wrong on this angle of things.  But that's the feeling I get just from looking at things from afar. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I think I can be pretty unbiased when it comes to Godzilla, so I think I know one possible reason why it appears that there is a good amount of upfront interest for this film.

Near as I can tell, the #1 complaint about G2014 was there wasn't much Godzilla/Godzilla fighting in it.  Now whether or not that's actually true, I have no idea.  More to the point, I can't say I really care.  Beyond that, again from what I heard, the film was competently made and didn't really leave a sour/bad taste in folk's mouths.  They just wanted more kaiju action.

Well in a film that is literally called 'King of the Monsters', has the Big G front and center in all its promos, and is promising monster battles...

... Well it seems like the #1 complaint (lack of big critters fighting) has been addressed.

That more than anything (along with an anticipation for next year's flick) might be why there is in fact upfront demand.  Folks are looking forward to their monsters throwin' down. 

@BoxOfficeZ, @Brainbug, and @Mulder can correct me if I'm wrong on this angle of things.  But that's the feeling I get just from looking at things from afar. 

Yeah the biggest two complaints were the lack of monster action and killing off Cranston too early/boring human story. The first according to everyone who's seen it on here and in other places ((BoxOfficeZ, ViewerAnon, our own mod grim etc etc)) have said that's absolutely fixed. As for the second I'm sure that'll be very YMMV but Kong: Skull Island's human stuff wasn't exactly raved about it and it had great legs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mulder said:

Yeah the biggest two complaints were the lack of monster action and killing off Cranston too early/boring human story. The first according to everyone who's seen it on here and in other places ((BoxOfficeZ, ViewerAnon, our own mod grim etc etc)) have said that's absolutely fixed. As for the second I'm sure that'll be very YMMV but Kong: Skull Island's human stuff wasn't exactly raved about it and it had great legs. 

Also Michael Dougherty has been very open about KoTM having way more monster action then G-2014, saying this is the Aliens to G-2014's Alien. They've shown off multiple parts of multiple battles in the trailer as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Out, the fact that its getting decent sales without an official announcement seems to foreshadow a breakout

• Thanks 1