oMeriMombatti

Tuesday Numbers - 05/14/19 | A:EG - 5.7, DP - 5.4

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

A lot of smaller theatres around me (including my own) that don’t have weekly matinees have cut their Endgame shows to one showing per screen per night instead of 2. Simply due to the length of the movie.

Wonder how many theatres are doing that, and how much of an impact that might be having.

The problem is - Endgame isn't recoverying on weekends so far. You can't be hurt by the length on weekdays, and then get weaker Friday bumps and IMs about on par with IW.

14 minutes ago, Juby said:

Runtime has nothing to do with legs. Titanic was 194-minutes long film and it had the most incredible legs in history. Avatar also was very long film with big opening and great legs (it was 162 minutes, I believe).  If someone really want to see a film once more in cinema, he/she will, no matte how log it is. Endgame has worse legs, just because everyone who want to see the film, saw it in the very first week.

It still has a good chance, even to be close to $860M. Lets see how it will drop in the next two weekends.

To be fair, Endgame has rather slow start and (to me) kinda clunky dialogue. "It's gonna work, Steve" "I know it will, because I don't know what I'm gonna do if it doesn't" are pair of the most horrible lines ever (I like the film, but first third not so much)

edit: What I want to say is, if the movie was 162 instead of 182 minutes long with the 20 minute cutout made from the first third, it would be more rewatchable to me and maybe for others too

Edited by JimiQ

Maybe length affects repeat viewings when you're not on holiday and have other commitments to attend to? I wouldn't want to say the legs are just cause of running time of course. And don't want to make this another "Endgame review" thread again but IMO you absolutely need 95% of that first hour.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Maybe length affects repeat viewings when you're not on holiday and have other commitments to attend to? I wouldn't want to say the legs are just cause of running time of course. And don't want to make this another "Endgame review" thread again but IMO you absolutely need 95% of that first hour.  

I think the running time is definitely playing a part on how the drops are going, but I also expect for healthier drops once June gets here and Summer late legs kick in.

11 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

To be fair, Endgame has rather slow start and (to me) kinda clunky dialogue. "It's gonna work, Steve" "I know it will, because I don't know what I'm gonna do if it doesn't" are pair of the most horrible lines ever (I like the film, but first third not so much)

edit: What I want to say is, if the movie was 162 instead of 182 minutes long with the 20 minute cutout made from the first third, it would be more rewatchable to me and maybe for others too

Saying that, I just found out our multiplex is having "cheap sunday" and for equivalent of $3 I'm gonna see EG third time 🙂

10 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

@Charlie Jatinder, can we expect Endgame to top Avatar around June 1st still or we will have to wait around two other weeks in June for that?

Can we get a look at your updated projection chart? I lost the link for the last one.

he has a nice projection chart

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eEaG17pnLrg98zE84fWvvu_oVCucn0333xLm4QoxbEs/edit?usp=drivesdk

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

runtime may affect daily gross, but won't change overall gross for a film in cinemas for 4 months+

I disagree. People are going to be less willing to rewatch a 3 hour movie. EG could have easily cropped out a lot of useless scenes which would have made it gross more. But either way it did more than anyone ever expected. 

• ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, Andreas said:

I feel like this chart might be overestimating China and DOM and underestimating OS-China

I feel like people constantly forget Charlie is in preparation for his finals / exams.

That spreadsheet did not get updated since the 2nd weekend.

All of BOT members question for.... why do you all still do that?

He does not do for the moment the in-depth following of the hourly changes like before, he looks at one or two snapshots of the day and tries to give you some feel, very early estimates, nothing more, nothing less.

Every question is a distraction, even if maybe too often a welcomed one, from his announced need to stay clear of BO analysis to focus on a seemingly difficult / lots to learn for exam(s).

Finals means potential mid to long lasting impact on future employment, can have an impact on beginner's salary and so on.

So if he post details, I think we all can be glad, but to try to wheedle out more.... it's not a positive act in such a situation in my POV.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Embarrassing. Bob Iger should resign in shame.

Yes he should. For prioritising Star Wars and Avatar and giving them the December release dates. MCU has earned that goodwill  

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Yes he should. For prioritising Star Wars and Avatar and giving them the December release dates. MCU has earned that goodwill  

Poor MCU, it only gets prime summer release dates, aggressive marketing campaigns, endless success with each film, and a movie that's about to come close to 3 billion dollars.  Clearly all that's missing is a December release date (a month which never had a 100M opener until Star Wars)

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Why do people here at BOT, a forum dedicated to BO, still write things like that seemingly earnestly (in addition to the jokingly meant ones)?

Distribution is not in the hand of the film makers / movie studio, that includes the bosses of those.

Look up: Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International

= it's more ~ self-contained / higher ranking as e.g. Marvel Studios is as being 'merely' a part of Disney Studios (means Feige, Kennedy,... have still more bosses than Kevin Meyer)

Kevin Meyer, and lots of presidents, chief vice-presidents, vice presidents, country managers and so on

long list

Spoiler
  • Kevin Mayer – Chairman, Direct-to-Consumer & International
    • Linda Bagley – Deputy General Counsel, The Walt Disney Company
    • Rebecca S. Campbell – President, The Walt Disney Company EMEA
      • Kakhaber Abashidze – Country Manager and Head of Media, The Walt Disney Company Turkey, Israel & Greece
      • Hamish Ainslie – Director of Security
      • Simon Amselem – Country Manager and Head of Media, The Walt Disney Company Spain and Portugal
      • Simon Bailey – Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
      • Daniel Bamsey – Vice President, Technology
      • Tony Chambers – Senior Vice President, Studio Distribution, The Walt Disney Company EMEA and Country Manager UK & Ireland
      • Roger Crotti – Country Manager and Head of Studio Distribution, The Walt Disney Company GSA (Germany, Switzerland, Austria)
      • Marco De Ruiter – Country Manager and Head of Media, The Walt Disney Company Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg
      • Hernán Estrada – Senior Vice President, Integration
      • Hélène Etzi – Country Manager and Head of Media, The Walt Disney Company France
      • Daniel Frigo – Country Manager & Head of Studio Distribution, The Walt Disney Company Italy
      • Matthew Grossman – Vice President, Corporate Communications & Corporate Responsibility
      • Sasha Haines – Chief Regional Counsel
      • Marina Jigalova-Ozkan – Country Manager, The Walt Disney Company Russia & The Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS)
      • Lee Jury – Senior Vice President, Studio & Integrated Marketing
      • Jan Koeppen – President, Television and Direct to Consumer
      • François Masson – Vice President, Human Resources
      • Nami Patel – Senior Vice President, Business Development & Strategy
      • Christine Service – Country Manager, The Walt Disney Company Africa
      • Hans van Rijn – Country Manager and Head of Media, The Walt Disney Company Nordics
      • Katarzyna Westermark – Country Manager, The Walt Disney Company Central & Eastern Europe
    • Rita Ferro – President, Disney Advertising Sales
    • Randy Freer – Chief Executive Officer, Hulu
      • Kelly Campbell – Chief Marketing Officer
      • Craig Erwich – Senior Vice President, Originals
      • Chadwick Ho – Senior Vice President and General Counsel
      • Jaya Kolhatkar – Chief Data Officer
      • Peter Naylor – Senior Vice President, Sales
      • Gaude Lydia Paez – Senior Vice President, Head of Corporate Communications
      • Elaine Paul – Chief Financial Officer
      • Dan Phillips – Chief Technology Officer
      • Shannon Sullivan – Senior Vice President, Talent & Organization
    • Karen Hobson – Senior Vice President, Communications
    • Aaron LaBerge – Executive Vice President & Chief Technology Officer
    • Diego Lerner – President, The Walt Disney Company Latin America
      • Federico Alaman – General Manager, Mexico
        • Hugo Pacheco – Director, Public Relations
      • Maitena de Amorrortu – Director of Press and Corporate Communications
      • Fernando Barbosa – General Manager, Media Networks
      • Mercedes De Belaustegui – Human Resources Leader
      • Cristina Giosa – Chief Marketing Officer
      • Martín Iraola – General Manager, Out-of-Home
      • Carlos Martinez – General Manager, Media Networks, North and Brazil
      • Daniela Novick – Research Leader
      • Michel Piestun – General Manager, Brazil
        • Camila Monaco – Manager of Press and Corporate Communication
      • Eugenia Ricardes – Chief Regional Counsel
      • Natalia Scalia – Direct-to-Consumer Leader
      • Guillermo Tabanera – General Manager, Media Networks, South and Caribbean
      • Juan Verges – Chief Financial Officer
    • Jim Lygopoulos – Senior Vice President, Human Resources
    • Janice Marinelli – President, Global Content Sales and Distribution
    • Michael Paull – President, Disney Streaming Services
      • Alisa Bowen – Senior Vice President of Operations
      • Jessica Casano-Antonellis – Vice President, Communications
      • Laura Evans – Senior Vice President, Analytics & Insights
      • Joe Inzerillo – Executive Vice President, Chief Technology Officer
      • Jerrell Jimerson – Senior Vice President, Product Management & UX
      • Vanna Krantz – Senior Vice President, Finance
      • Eric Lieberman – Senior Vice President, Chief Counsel
      • Jordan Rosen – Senior Vice President, Partner Platform Services & Business Development
      • Andy Schneider – Senior Vice President, Performance Marketing
      • Judy Schwab – Vice President, Human Resources
      • Kevin Swint – Senior Vice President, Product Marketing, Disney+
      • Barry Tishgart – Senior Vice President & General Manager, Hockey
      • Russell Wolff – Executive Vice President and General Manager, ESPN+
    • Uday Shankar – Chairman, Star and Disney India and President, The Walt Disney Company Asia Pacific
      • Sanjay Gupta – Country Manager, India
      • Deepak Jacob – Chief Regional Counsel, India, Southeast Asia and the Middle East
      • Sanjay Jain – Chief Financial Officer
      • Luke Kang – Country Manager, North Asia (China, Japan and Korea)
      • Anju Jain Kumar – Chief Regional Counsel, North Asia, Australia and New Zealand
      • K Madhavan – Head of Star Regional Media Networks
      • Amita Maheshwari – Vice President, Human Resources
      • Chafic Najia – Country Manager, Middle East
      • Jannie Poon – Senior Vice President, Corporate Affairs & Communications
      • Jessica Pouleur – Vice President, Business Development & Strategy
      • Kylie Watson-Wheeler – Country Manager, Australia and New Zealand
    • Ricky Strauss – President, Content and Marketing, Disney+
      • Agnes Chu – Senior Vice President, Content
      • Tehmina Jaffer – Senior Vice President, Business Affairs
    • Justin Warbrooke – Chief Financial Officer

and for the studios too: Alan Bergman, and one of his many presidents, Cathleen Taff

plus all the others that have to interact for a worldwide release, franchise / merchandise contract making people, who also have to balance production capacities/dates and what-not else. TV.... too.

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Not just locked to pass the first, I've been told many times that it's locked for $4 billies as well.

And thats just from China ive heard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

I feel like people constantly forget Charlie is in preparation for his finals / exams.

That spreadsheet did not get updated since the 2nd weekend.

All of BOT members question for.... why do you all still do that?

He does not do for the moment the in-depth following of the hourly changes like before, he looks at one or two snapshots of the day and tries to give you some feel, very early estimates, nothing more, nothing less.

Every question is a distraction, even if maybe too often a welcomed one, from his announced need to stay clear of BO analysis to focus on a seemingly difficult / lots to learn for exam(s).

Finals means potential mid to long lasting impact on future employment, can have an impact on beginner's salary and so on.

So if he post details, I think we all can be glad, but to try to wheedle out more.... it's not a positive act in such a situation in my POV.

What's up with this overreaction? I didn't try to "wheedle out more" from @Charlie Jatinder, didn't even say that the projection is inaccurate. Just tried expressing my own opinion, so that trolls won't come concern-trolling us about that specific projection. Am I not allowed to do so?

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1