oMeriMombatti

Tuesday Numbers - 05/14/19 | A:EG - 5.7, DP - 5.4

13 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

People up in arms about Endgame’s inevitable return to earthly numbers is quite amusing. It did something no other film has come close to doing and now that it is acting like a regular film, people are basically becoming Chicken Littles. 

Also, IW made about $1.5M the weekend before July 4th last year and it made just under $1M the weekend after July 4th when AMATW opened. Anybody hoping for a Captain Marvel sized bounce for Endgame when Far From Home opens is going to be in need of therapy based on the reactions in this thread.

Literally no one is hoping for a 20 million $ bump. $3-4 million total DOM from about 2 weeks out through OW perhaps.

Edited by cdsacken

10 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Going by the tracking thread, it seems Endgame is losing quite a bit of PLF screens to JW3. That could result in next weekend's drop to be harsher than expected.

IW lost the same screens on the same weekend to a 125mil opener.

1 hour ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Endgame will be long gone out of the theaters by the time Spiderman shows up.

A EG release date dom:

26 April 2019

Spider-Man Far From Home's release date:

2 July 2019 (for those that missed that little detail: 2 July = Tuesday)

That's 68 days into release if I didn't miscount

Captain Marvel is today 69 days into its release and ~ just dropped out of the top 10 after having lost this time quite some theatres, now at 1504 theatres

Some recent MCU examples:

BP - In Release: 175 days / 25 weeks

A:IW - In Release: 140 days / 20 weeks

Ant-Man & Wasp - In Release: 119 days / 17 weeks

Thor 3 - In Release: 133 days / 19 weeks

Spider-Man Homecoming - In Release: 147 days / 21 weeks

In the past even way longer release day counts were typical, especially for the big ones

e.g. Titanic made ~ $100m+ after already being roughly 3 months in release, but then HV release and such was another kind of thing, plus ~ re-releases..

Acc BOM it was at $600,683,057 at its 287s day into release, roughly $58m per later releases.

People up in arms about Endgame’s inevitable return to earthly numbers is quite amusing. It did something no other film has come close to doing and now that it is acting like a regular film, people are basically becoming Chicken Littles. 

Suffice it to say we're long past the point of "they could pull it from theaters right now and it would still be a huge success". The number of records it set is impressive. To beat the OW record by 100M is ludicrous.

Obviously, though, it's pretty much the most spoilerific film of all time. No great surprise to see that there was a huge rush from fans to try to avoid being spoiled.

Also, IW made about $1.5M the weekend before July 4th last year and it made just under $1M the weekend after July 4th when AMATW opened. Anybody hoping for a Captain Marvel sized bounce for Endgame when Far From Home opens is going to be in need of therapy based on the reactions in this thread.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that pretty much every single person who'd want to plan on seeing FFH on it's OW has already seen Endgame.

10 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Going by the tracking thread, it seems Endgame is losing quite a bit of PLF screens to JW3. That could result in next weekend's drop to be harsher than expected.

Indeed. Brace yourselves. For both the number and the posts about it.

• Like 1

Endgame is keeping its 4 daily IMAX showings at my local AMC. It is losing its late evening Dolby showing to John Wick, though. Pikachu is giving up all of its Dolby showings to John Wick. Also, Endgame has 16 showings in total on Friday while John Wick has 19. However, outside of the Dolby showings, John Wick is not selling many tickets yet for Thursday and Friday.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

After a wreck I had 2 weeks ago, I have been trying to catch up.... what happened to the members here that actually made sense?? I feel like the comments for the past week have been nothing but pushing arguments from those with agendas. 

Thanks to @baumer and the rest of the staff for trying to keep it civil. 

Miss the old BOM days anymore. 

Glad you are on the mend!  

• Like 2

Remember the days when a movie could just be a movie, instead of a 3-ring circus event. Universal drops UNTITLED EVENT FILMS on 1/15/21, 2/26/21 and 3/5/21. And let’s not forget UNTITLED MUSICAL EVENT on 3/11/22. Also, UNTITLED ROMCOM 2/12/21. Note: this film is not an event.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Remember the days when a movie could just be a movie, instead of a 3-ring circus event. Universal drops UNTITLED EVENT FILMS on 1/15/21, 2/26/21 and 3/5/21. And let’s not forget UNTITLED MUSICAL EVENT on 3/11/22. Also, UNTITLED ROMCOM 2/12/21. Note: this film is not an event.

Not an event :jeb!:

• Like 1

This is why I'll always prefer leggy runs.  While $280m/$850m and $357m/$850m have the same ending point, one is certainly more fun to track as a box office enthusiasist. Endgame has already surpassed the entire domestic gross of Black Panther after less than three weeks yet compared to that movie, following its box office right now is so... boring. Once the huge numbers from the first week are  over, everything is predictable.

6 minutes ago, Agafin said:

This is why I'll always prefer leggy runs.  While $280m/$850m and $357m/$850m have the same ending point, one is certainly more fun to track as a box office enthusiasist. Endgame has already surpassed the entire domestic gross of Black Panther after less than three weeks yet compared to that movie, following its box office right now is so... boring. Once the huge numbers from the first week are  over, everything is predictable.

Everyone said that about CM too.

Sadly I doubt the late legs. Reemerge. Point is you can't predict positively it negatively. You can get close but some variables are hard to account for.

Edited by cdsacken

17 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

We’re finally getting a Fast & Furious spin-off starring Han!

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, narniadis said:

After a wreck I had 2 weeks ago, I have been trying to catch up.... what happened to the members here that actually made sense?? I feel like the comments for the past week have been nothing but pushing arguments from those with agendas. 

Thanks to @baumer and the rest of the staff for trying to keep it civil. 

Miss the old BOM days anymore. 

Hey, good to know you're OK. Recognize your screen name from BOM. Heal up quickly mate! 

As for EG, I will just echo what I said yesterday. Its legs are disappointing, but its total is not. This just points to an admissions ceiling for modern film, and SW just had arguably the best release date that took advantage of infrequent cinemagoers to get that high. 

Walt Disney and Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame, which for the record is one of the biggest movies of all time (an important caveat when discussing the minutia of its grosses), earned around $5.723 million yesterday. That’s a decent-enough jump of 22% from its $4.7 million Monday and a drop of 54% from last Tuesday. That’s actually below the $6.258 million “third Tuesday” or “day 19” gross of Black Panther and the $6.009 million day-19/third Tuesday gross of Avengers: Infinity War.

$734.1 million..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/05/15/avengers-endgame-infinity-war-box-office-captain-america-iron-man-thor-black-panther-ant-man/#143ccc592ccf

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2