charlie Jatinder

Wednesday (5/16) Early Estimates.

1 minute ago, I Am said:

I don't understand what I'm looking at? The number of movies over $1 billion, and then the highest figure?

That's how many movies made over a billion each year and as you see since 2010 we had 31 movies make over a billion and 3 over 2bn. Before that we had only 5 movies make over a billion. 

4 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Avatar even made 204m back in 2009 and that was AEG's opening weekend alone almost. 

Yeah, I excluded Avatar since it was technically released in 2010, and it's also such an anomaly in box office that didn't repeat itself for Hollywood films in China until 2014.  Still, Endgame indeed showed vast market growth since Avatar for Hollywood imports.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

Yeah, I excluded Avatar since it was technically released in 2010, and it's also such an anomaly in box office that didn't repeat itself for Hollywood films in China until 2014.  Still, Endgame indeed showed vast market growth since Avatar for Hollywood imports.

Oh you're right. Sorry. 

10 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Avatar even made 204m back in 2009 and that was AEG's opening weekend alone almost. 

And a sequel is taking 12 years which is ridiculous. A lot has changed since then. Currency could easily be down 15% by the time it's released

This is top ten so far in the chinese box office.

1 The Wandering Earth BC $690,994,017 2/5
2 Avengers: Endgame n/a $601,595,201 4/24
3 Crazy Alien n/a $327,598,891 2/5
4 Pegasus n/a $255,510,705 2/5
5 Bumblebee n/a $170,846,880 1/4
6 Captain Marvel Disney $154,070,663 3/8
7 More than Blue n/a $139,613,557 3/14
8 Alita: Battle Angel n/a $133,397,094 2/22
9 P Storm n/a $115,873,617 4/4
10 Boonie Bears: Blast Into the Past n/a $106,344,549 2/5

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

And a sequel is taking 12 years which is ridiculous. A lot has changed since then. Currency could easily be down 15% by the time it's released

So cdsacken, despite you being fairly vocal against us Cameron fans, somehow I got the feeling that you're increasingly emotionally invested in how A2 will do, because you keep talking about it. 

Looking forward to welcoming you into the club someday :lol:;)

Edited by NCsoft
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Also maybe we should stop ruining this thread with crap about a film that has been delayed for 6 years and might eventually come out

This wasn't about Avatar. I think you made it be that. We were discussing movies in general. It never started with Avatar, I mentioned Avatar once to show the scale in which the Chinese market grew, not saying it was gonna do more or less.  

• Thanks 2

Well I just spoke to Dean on celly and I heard a report from ABC news that told me that Avatar is going to smash 4 billion dollars. So Tawasal buddy keep using MOM Tech and don't listen to silly posters like @I Am....they're the same guys who came here 10 years ago and told you that Pirates of the Caribbean was more profitable than Spider-Man. LMFAO. also buddy make sure you say a prayer for Diana Ross as she had her tonsils removed yesterday.

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, tawasal said:

The box office of movies and how well known music celebrities are don't correlate in any form or shape. Take that bullshit somewhere else. 

What a nasty attitude you have.

The entertainment industries across the globe correlate. When a local industry, be it novels, music, television, or movies starts to come into its own, the presence of invaders tends to drop. People groups ideally want to listen, read, and view content that they can relate to, not what white people tell them they had better or need to relate to. It's all about ease of access.

While the Harry Potter series is ONE of the best selling book series in Japan, that doesn't negate the fact that the rest of the best selling books in Japan are written by Japanese people, for Japanese people. Writing and acquiring books has a low barrier of entry.

The Japanese music industry once relied on Western artists like The Beatles to drive their musical tastes, but in the past three decades or so, the barrier for entry into the music industry has lowered and that is now no longer the case.

And finally, unheard of cinematic experiences were once only in the realm of a Hollywood production unit, but time has passed, and now other domestic markets are able to bring together groups of their own, the people in these markets no longer need to rely on outsiders to entertain them.

A few exceptions does not make a rule, and the rule is that the maturity of the Chinese film industry means Chinese people will start to turn their attention towards wholly-Chinese made movies, as opposed to genuflecting to Hollywood and handing them $3 billion plus.

I'm sorry these facts hurt your feelings, so much, but it is a reality you'll just have to get over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

So cdsacken, despite you being fairly vocal against us Cameron fans, somehow I got the feeling that you're increasingly emotionally invested in how A2 will do, because you keep talking about it. 

Looking forward to welcoming you into the club someday :lol:;)

No argument there I would love to see it despite it taking 12 years and delayed 5 times for 6+ years. I liked it personally. I absolutely loathe how Avatar stans shit over everyone on their respective films. It's disgusting. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

This wasn't about Avatar. I think you made it be that. We were discussing movies in general. It never started with Avatar, I mentioned Avatar once to show the scale in which the Chinese market grew, not saying it was gonna do more or less.  

Yeah, because accusations are easily thrown around in the past few weeks, I also want to make it clear that this is a discussion about global market ceiling, this is not about Avatar. It's just that, when you talk about market ceiling, certain movies are kind of hard to avoid. 

4 minutes ago, tawasal said:

The point is it absolutely could stop growing. The growth rate is absolutely not exponential and it's hitting a wall especially could be the case with Hollywood films. I seriously doubt Avatar will be revolutionary on the scale that Avatar was. Frankly I don't see how it's possible.

It's like comparing 32k to 4k quality vs vhs to dvd or dvd to blu ray. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nova said:

Imagine taking box office advice from someone who thinks Arianna Grande is the biggest pop star on the planet. 

I get my box office takes from J Lo stans.

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, I Am said:

"A breakdown of revenue for U.S. film imports versus movie product from other international territories wasn't included in the official state data released thus far, but the Hollywood majors are expected to have logged a significant decline in the Middle Kingdom this year. According to early reporting from regional box office tracker Artisan Gateway, revenue from U.S. studio films released through China's quota system was down 16.5 percent in late December. The slide is all the more notable given that the North American box office soared to an all-time record total of $11.9 billion in 2018 — suggesting product quality alone can't explain the downturn in China.

The five biggest films at China's box office last year were local blockbusters Operation Red Sea($532 million), Detective Chinatown 2 ($496 million), Dying to Survive ($452 million), Hello Mr. Billionaire ($367 million) and Hollywood's solitary top-five contender Avengers: Infinity War ($349 million)."

I noticed that all of you ignored this.

It's quite interesting how the word "empowerment" gets tossed around on this forum so much, but only in the context of black people and Asians starring in white Hollywood-produced films and making white and Jewish movie executives even more incomprehensibly wealthy, while there is extreme pushback against true empowerment, which would be black folks and Asians controlling completely our own movies and industries - at the possible expense of white Hollywood🤔

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tawasal said:

This is top ten so far in the chinese box office.

1 The Wandering Earth BC $690,994,017 2/5
2 Avengers: Endgame n/a $601,595,201 4/24
3 Crazy Alien n/a $327,598,891 2/5
4 Pegasus n/a $255,510,705 2/5
5 Bumblebee n/a $170,846,880 1/4
6 Captain Marvel Disney $154,070,663 3/8
7 More than Blue n/a $139,613,557 3/14
8 Alita: Battle Angel n/a $133,397,094 2/22
9 P Storm n/a $115,873,617 4/4
10 Boonie Bears: Blast Into the Past n/a $106,344,549 2/5

#10 handily beating the DOM #10 (Alita with 86M). Wonder how long that will remain the case.

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

The point is it absolutely could stop growing. The growth rate is absolutely not exponential and it's hitting a wall especially could be the case with Hollywood films. I seriously doubt Avatar will be revolutionary on the scale that Avatar was. Frankly I don't see how it's possible.

It's like comparing 32k to 4k quality vs vhs to dvd or dvd to blu ray. 

I am not denying that it could, but so far all we have seen is growth and I am going with that. We have been seeing movies break into new territories regarding each overseas market, that didn't look possible pre-2010s. And I don't really care what movie gets there or doesn't. No matter what movie that has the potential to get there will be exciting to follow and I will be rooted for it to get there, because I like for the box office of the movie to keep developing.