baumer

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)

Grade it  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I will say this in support of the cahoots theory....Winston certainly seemed really blase, almost amused when the adjudicator says that Wicks body is missing.

I'd have to see that scene again, cause I thought Winston was appropriately surprised. :lol:

Something to look at later, I suppose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I'd have to see that scene again, cause I thought Winston was appropriately surprised. :lol:

I guess we'll both see it again and report back here.  :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No. He laughed and asked how far he could get with three bullets in him. 

• Like 1

Can we also all agree that Sophia's daughter is gonna become a major plot point at some point along the line?

Can't just dangle a carrot like that and snatch it away. :lol:

You know, the daughter is probably old enough to be entering the profession herself.  Just sayin'. :ph34r:

(Yes, I'm also saying this to get more Halle Berry and her wonderful dogs. :lol:) 

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Frozen said:

No. He laughed and asked how far he could get with three bullets in him. 

Speaking of which, I did appreciate the subtly of the body disappearing.  This too was telegraphed earlier in the film when the Bowery King was talking about how the High Table had no clue how he operated or how vast his system was in the underworld.

Sure it didn't stop the assassins from coming after him. But it clearly didn't smash his network either.

It's the little things like that with setup and delivery which I really liked from this film.

I think it could be played either way -- as they planned together or Winston betrayed him.  I would believe both.

For me, I just love the world building they've done in the past two movies.  It's a crazy mix of realism and heightened camp.   I would totally read a comic series based on these characters or watch a spin-off.

I also think John Wick is an excellent example for Hollywood that mid-tier budgets /work/, and that if they are obsessed with "cinematic universes", don't overcomplicate it.  The Hotel/High Table connects the movies.  Everything else is whatever that director wants to make it.

I can't wait to go again.  I haven't been this HYPED for a fight choreography (from a Hollywood film) in AGES.

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 1

After expanding the scope and detail of its action in the previous sequel, John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum again ups the ante and delivers upon the potential that the sequel hook in Chapter 2 set up. Much like the previous sequel, this installment is somewhat lacking in its still-foggy mythology, but it more than makes up for that shortcoming with a series of jaw-dropping fight sequences. Under the direction of veteran stuntman Chad Stahleski, the action sequences are even more kinetic and brilliantly staged than the mayhem on display in the previous film. The numerous scenes in which the title character dispatches countless combatants with a creative range of methods are all master classes in show-stopping one-on-one combat, and they’re constructed and executed with such bravado that audience gasps at their climactic moments are earned. As in the previous films, Keanu Reeves is well within his wheelhouse in a performance that shrewdly plays on his cool aura and wrings simple but palpable pathos from him. Reeves once again displays his chops as an adept action star and feels more at home in this role than in any other. As with the previous film, I left this one thoroughly entertained and completely ready for more as soon as the credits began to roll. I had no idea that John Wick would morph into such a thoroughly entertaining franchise upon missing the first one in its theatrical release, but it’s now in a position where I can’t wait to see what’s coming next.

B+

Stray Thoughts:
- If you can see this movie in Atmos, DO SO! The sound work on this film is terrific and makes the best use of the format in years.

- I really dug the brief shots of ballet rehearsals. While these shots may just have been random touches, they also kinda felt like a nod to how the intricacy present in the fight sequences feels like an art form in and of itself.

- I definitely enjoyed Halle Berry's performance in this film, but it would have been even cooler to see Carrie-Anne Moss in the role as a more complete Matrix reunion, given that we already have Reeves and Fishburne on hand.

- They really went all out on the violence this time out. It's so outlandish that my audience alternated between gasps and nervous laughter at the many creative manners of murder. I'll definitely give the filmmakers credit for going for an array of headshots that did not necessarily involve guns.

- Keanu Reeves has officially joined Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Badass Actions Stars Kicking Ass While Riding Horses Hall of Fame. And damn, were those horses ever great at taking out Wick's enemies! (My audience roared at the horse-assisted kills.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Alright, I have to vent a little about the ending. 

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't read a single post here, so I don't know if it's been covered or not, but I did not like how Wick survived at the end.

For a series that prizes itself on... I won't say 'believability' so instead I'll say 'being slightly more realistic' than the average action hero flick I just DID NOT like how Wick took three or four bullets, fell off a high story building, and survived.

I was hoping to see a glimpse of a bullet proof vest (say from those commandos at the end or something) as a sign that Wick didn't trust the situation he was walking into.  The header off the building still wouldn't have been believable but I wouldn't have cared.  It would have been a sign that Wick at least saw something coming and added a rung to the suspension of disbelief.

Yes, I know that John Wick was fucked up eight ways from Sunday at the end.  Possibly barely alive.  I like the idea behind it, just didn't like the execution.  A little tweak here or there on that last scene, and I think I might have given the film 9.5/10. I want to give the film at least a 9/10 because it was incredibly well crafted and made.

But that ending just sticks in my craw.  Want to sit on it and see if I can digest it or not.  Might have to see that scene again to decide one way or the other.

I guess it just felt something like a cheat in a film that tries not to cheat too much.

(more thoughts next post)

I'm a little confused here, isn't his jacket bulletproof (or at least has protection)? I know he changed suits in the desert, but at least in John Wick 2, his jacket was weaved with some lightweight fabric protection from bullets when he went to the tailor and obviously when Sophia shot him, his jacket protected him from the shot.

Unless you're talking more about the fact that he didn't see the 'betrayal' from Winston coming

Anyways I found it highly enjoyable but would agree that there was a lack of progression in the story relatively. I prefer the style of 2 and 3 and setpiece focus over the schlocky nature of 1 though (I don't mean this in a bad way), so I would probably say 2 > 3 > 1. Plus shotgun action is always a plus

Edited by MrPink

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I'm a little confused here, isn't his jacket bulletproof (or at least has protection)? I know he changed suits in the desert, but at least in John Wick 2, his jacket was weaved with some lightweight fabric protection from bullets when he went to the tailor and obviously when Sophia shot him, his jacket protected him from the shot.

Unless you're talking more about the fact that he didn't see the 'betrayal' from Winston coming

No no, I was talking about the bullets.

The point about Wick 2 is a good one, I suppose.  But we shouldn't have to remember that detail to carry over from movie to movie.  Well, maybe.

Just didn't like how it played out I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No no, I was talking about the bullets.

The point about Wick 2 is a good one, I suppose.  But we shouldn't have to remember that detail to carry over from movie to movie.  Well, maybe.

Just didn't like how it played out I suppose.

Sophia did shoot him when he first met her in the film and I figured it was supposed to remind you of that detail. She remarks "Nice jacket" and the camera shows the bullet didn't penetrate.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

Sophia did shoot him when he first met her in the film and I figured it was supposed to remind you of that detail. She remarks "Nice jacket" and the camera shows the bullet didn't penetrate.

Fair enough.  Mostly just didn't remember that detail.

I suppose going on about the type of gun Winston had also worked (pointing out its relative wimpiness on caliber).

Look, don't make me break out the Chris Evans don't wike it gif, alright. :lol:

(it does make it a little better, still thinking on it)

• Like 1

I like 3 a tad better than 2 but I do think the "mythology" aspect of these films can be handled a tad better. I would love to see more recurring assassins which would definitely help flesh out the world more (pls bring the Raid guys back). I thought Winston was making a play to get John Wick free while benefiting him but I could be wrong. 

This series continues to be one of the top tier franchises in terms of action set-pieces and stunt-work along with Mission Impossible. All the sequences were phenomenal and they keep on getting more brutal and creative with the kills (death by book, death by horse kicks and of course head-shots with both knives and guns). Among all the wonderful shootouts and chase scenes I'd say my favorite sequences were the 2 fights at the end with the martial arts assassins. Well choreographed and some nice moments of levity as well. 

Keanu was the rest of the returning cast were great as always. Halle Berry was a nice addition (the sequence with the dogs was cool) but the standout personally was Zero played by Mark Dacascos. Loved all his scenes and I haven't gotten tired of these high level killers showing their fanboy love for Mr. Wick yet. 

Only negatives would be that the film does feel overstuffed a tad bit. They could've cut out the last chase scene on the motorbikes and final shootout in the hotel as they seemed redundant (we had a chase scene at the start with the horse and a extended shootout scene with Halle Berry already). Perhaps should've just saved some stuff for Part 4. Also I love that they keep expanding the lore and mythology of this franchise but it is definitely pushing it to over the top levels rather than staying relatively grounded especially with how Wick survives at the end. 

All that being said it is my favorite movie of the year thus far and a must see if you love action movies. 9/10 (A+)

• Like 1

Grade: B-

I see I'm not as wholly alone as I felt I might be on this film. As an action film John Wick does its thing very, very well.

However, unlike some other action franchises, I feel John feels even more repetitive than some others. Roll, kick, shoot, dodge, punch, shoot, reload just in a different location than the last act or even film. I'm finding they are all starting to blur together for me, unlike say Die Hard, Rambo or Lethal Weapon. 

The story mythology is getting a bit thick. "The Table" and all the euphemisms for dealings above it, below it, off of it and how many seats are at it, how many heads does it have etc etc. They sultan looking guy in the desert is a thread I found distracting and frankly a bit unrealistic. What are we conveying here? That the heads are isolated, hard to reach? To imply The Table has been around for centuries and this visually represents that? Is the next head going to be in some family castle?

John knew damn well he wasn't going to kill Winston. Why cut off your finger and pledge to serve when you damn well know you are not...then say as much not too many minutes later in the film?! I also don't buy Winston killing him in the end. That also is some greater ruse I can buy. However, John survives a 4-5 story fall off The Continental, hitting fire escapes on the way down AFTER the beating he's just taken for the last hour?!

Also the "King" or Bird King as I'd like to call him, why he doesn't just put a bullet in the head of that Adjudicator is beyond me. Her prancing around like she has some immunity card strikes me as unrealistic. If I'm this bad ass head of "x" and The Table is pissed why should I care what they think when their lapdog shows up to tell me I'm being demoted or whatever?

The only sequence I truly felt that deserves some credit is the one with Sofie and her dogs at the "currency" palace in Casablanca. The bulk of this movie is largely cotton candy for me. Tastes good the moment you put it in your mouth but disappears about as quickly and is not filling. My B- grade could go down after I watch it again down the road on home viewing. 

Edited by Captain Craig

A bit like the second movies those are really not for me, did struggle to stay awake all the way through a little bit.

The fight were too much against no faced people, there was only one enemy a little bit fleshed out, the movie watching become way too passive for me in this too complicated world, I never question what would I do, have never any opinion on what anyone should do, I have no moral judgement on anyone action, I do not know what the hero goals are a lot of the time and not sure how to evaluate is progression, is goal seem fleshed out a bit magically one after the other about stuff/people we never heard before. And not helping all the regular humans in the story do not seem to care for one second about any of this, never grounding anything going on in any semblance of reality.

All that Casablanca talk to ask some question to someone making coin, how / why the desert guy was above the table.

Some of the new fight (knife, with horse, with dogs) were nicely done but I am not sure Reeve have the explosiveness to sales all of them, but I would take a bit more poetry and heavy music almost dance numbers like Asian movie often do them, the score/music felt overlook to me.

It seem to not have any character arc much anymore or much of anything happening, the movie start Wick is running for is life, the movie end Wick is running for is life, almost nothing change, one less finger/one more enemy in the hotel manager being the only thing I can think of.

gun shot scenes was overloaded  and all the violence diluted into nothing in the 2nd half.

I felt like I was watching 2 hours live-action of counter strike with all the gamers targeting their enemies like playing computer games.

The choreography was well-crafted through for the 1st half. Very rare for an action film to be this boring due to the lack of plot to carry all the fighting scenes altogether for a satisfying end goal.      

• Like 1

Finally got round to watching this. It's... quite boring? It starts off fun with John running around Manhattan but it then decides to go all in on the lore, and the lore is hot garbage.

Also the action is weirdly toothless: you'll see John's foes get shot multiple times to apparently no effect before the fifth shot, magically, puts them down. I feel like previous movies had a bit more weight to the violence, but maybe I'm just remembering the initial novelty. 

There's already going to be another one but these movies are the definition of 'wait till it's streaming' for me. 

Edited by Hatebox