That One Girl

Spiral: From the Book Of Saw | May 14, 2021 | Lionsgate | Written, produced, and starring Chris Rock

Im curious what people are thinking Spiral may do opening weekend, does anyone have any sort of forecast? Haven't seen much discussion on Spiral's potential.

I think it has a lot of interesting factors at hand:

- First major mainstream release since Mortal Kombat

- First "Summer movie" if you can call it that. I believe colleges and certain HS in the US end either their year either this weekend or next weekend so it'll be interesting to see if this plays a role in the box office

- First major horror release since the restart of the BO

- First major release NOT premiering on PVOD/Streaming simultaneous to theatrical release

Also I count GvK as essentially the restart of the BO since theaters were not running at nearly the capacity they are now.

It's obvious that Lionsgate is marketing this movie towards a certain demo and it'll be interesting to see if it pays off. I haven't really heard much hype around this movie, but I feel like Saw movies never have much hype. Jigsaw didn't have much hype but was able to open to 16.6M. I think there is a built in audience for the franchise, but at the same time the pandemic and the uncertainty at the box office makes me confused on the potential of this movie. At this point if I had to guess I would think this movie will make between 16-20M opening weekend and end around 45M domestically. Not a great showing but during these times I'm not sure what else Lionsgate would be expecting.

I could see it opening slightly higher IF there is some sort of buzz around this/some critical acclaim and maybe people show up out of boredom. This movie also has a free two weeks of basically no competition until AQP2. As well we have NY/NJ/CT opening 100% capacity starting mid week of Spiral's first run. I could see it not dropping as much as it normally would.

Still I am a little worried this movie may flop and do worse than I'm expecting based on a lack of buzz, at least I haven't really seen much interest. I've also been checking a few theaters in my area and not a whole lot of tickets sold. Most showings on Thurs/Fri just showing 3-8 tickets shown, but I'm not sure if that's to be expected for a R rated horror movie.

Obviously I think Lionsgate would have loved for this movie to have made 70-100M domestically, but at this point I think it'll make between 40-50M, if it does better than that Lionsgate should be through the roof happy.

Edited by eman92
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

I still don't understand why Lionsgate decided not to sell this and now will just dump it in a still dead marketplace.

Has there been any marketing for this?

I've seen over a dozen ads on TV this past week alone.

8 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Was hoping it would be more of a dark thriller in the Se7en vein than a gross horror movie like the originals. Pass!

You don't know SAW then 🙂. Its basically a killer that uses gruesome booby traps.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Will you give it a rest already, this schtick is beyond annoying now. 

It just feels like a waste tbh. I think this could be used on a better time for worldwide theaters. Maybe in July or August. This is a truly theaters only event. No streaming nonsense attached.