sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

What the heck is TTVOMG? Lol. My word.

I love Game of Thrones until literally the last episode and now I just don’t get it. Huh, oh well.

Maybe it’s the way Gen Z plans on talking to us older folks :ph34r:

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

What the heck is TTVOMG? Lol. My word.

I love Game of Thrones until literally the last episode and now I just don’t get it. Huh, oh well.

My take would be: grrm cornered himself with worldbuilding... even in the books we dont get to see or feel the winter last... it is as if he wrote imagined fantasy history book and went along with it... so when DnD were out of small talk that books provided they realized 13 episodes spread out into 3 years of air time will make sense(cut budget corners too) while hoping the audience fills in the gaps... now we all know we dont like endings so it might be a bit subjective, but from the crative perspective all they had to do is make 2 normal seasons.. but without grrm fillers and actually without grrm at all, since he also doesnt know how to finish it(hope i am wrong)... just my opinion after reading the books and comparing it with the tv show... ps: storywise and chronologicaly logical expectations regarding the night king as endgame goal notwithstanding xD my signature-TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos

8 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

My take would be: grrm cornered himself with worldbuilding... even in the books we dont get to see or feel the winter last... it is as if he wrote imagined fantasy history book and went along with it... so when DnD were out of small talk that books provided they realized 13 episodes spread out to 3 years of air time will make sense(cut budget corners too) while hoping the audience fills up the gaps... now we all know we dont like endings so it might be a bit subjective, but from the crative perspective all they had to do is make 2 normal seasons.. but without grrm fillers and actually without grrm at all, since he also doesnt know how to finish it(hope i am wrong)... just my opinion after reading the books and comparing it with the tv show... ps: storywise and chronologicaly logical expectations regarding the night king as endgame goal notwithstanding xD my signature-TTVOMJ

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

Maybe it’s the way Gen Z plans on talking to us older folks :ph34r:

I am 35 tyvm little red pikadeadpool :) TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Remember the twitter account that used to be Charlie's source? Their final number is always 300-400K less than actuals so i think we can expect similar here.

Deadline's midnight update is typically very accurate. I'd be shocked if it goes up to $7.5m.

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

But if we take 20 away then you’re 15 so 

:Gaga:

What is this? Chatting? If you add 6 i am 41? So? Anyway if you want to call me juvenile you can..suits me fine.. and tells alot about you if you think thats bad:'( cheers lil cute red pikapool..lets go back to BO ^^ TTVOMJ

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Maximum Avery said:

What is this? Chatting? If you add 6 i am 41? So? Anyway if you want to call me juvenile you can..suits me fine.. and tells alot about you if you think thats bad:'( cheers lil cute red pikapool..lets go back to BO ^^ TTVOMJ

I was making a joke not calling you juvenile. I’m the last person to call anyone juvenile lol 

• Like 1

Too much GoT talk here....there's a lot of movie talk to discuss....GoT is boring.

This is a phenomenal number for Wick and even if you give it sequel erosion, it should still get to a 2.6 multiplier from a 57 mill weekend and you have close to 150 mill.

When is the last time a non super-hero trilogy had this much of an increase from the first to the third?  Such an innocuous beginning to what we have now.  The original made 43 million.  This one has a chance to quadruple that one.  Not likely, but it has a chance.  The last franchise that did that...was it the Austin Powers trilogy?  I don't have the time to look it up but this has to be in select company.  I know it happened all the time 30 or 40 years ago with films like First Blood to Rambo and Terminator to T2 and Lethal Weapon to LW2 and 3, just to name a few examples, but in recent memory?  Not many if any at all.    

EDIT.....ok, forget superhero movies, John Wick is about to go into elite company.  Just doing a very very quick search and I don't think there are many movies that increased more than Wick did from the first to the third, in fact, only Austin Powers, the last twenty years, has a better increase from first to second or first to third.  Maybe the reason is home video isn't what it used to be.  I'm not sure but Wick has done something very unique to film.  It built an audience to the point where the third films is set to at least triple the gross of the first.  

And if you want to go back in history, here is the company it is with:

First Blood to Rambo:  triple from first to second

Terminator to T2:  5.4X (probably will never be broken)

Lethal Weapon to part 2: 2.26...so it doesn't really qualify

Austin Powers to IMOM:  3.88

And that's about it.  Wick is going to at least triple the gross of the original.  Pretty incredible!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

If I called anyone juvenile it would be the pot calling the kettle black. “You can only be young once but immature forever” is basically my life mantra 😛

Yeah I felt that with where they were, to end GoT with 6 episodes just didn’t seem like enough. I don’t want to be a cynic but why does it seem like so many TV shows, they roped us along for X seasons and frankly just don’t care how it ends because they already made their money? How many shows do you actually think ended on a high note m? I can only think of a few.

1 hour ago, Maximum Avery said:

Why did you watch 8 if 7th sucked? TTVOMJ

Because I am hoping against hope that there might be some great moments and the characters and story, that I have enjoyed watching for all the early years, will come to a satisfying conclusion. But as each episodes goes by, it just gets worse.

11 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

If I called anyone juvenile it would be the pot calling the kettle black. “You can only be young once but immature forever” is basically my life mantra 😛

Yeah I felt that with where they were, to end GoT with 6 episodes just didn’t seem like enough. I don’t want to be a cynic but why does it seem like so many TV shows, they roped us along for X seasons and frankly just don’t care how it ends because they already made their money? How many shows do you actually think ended on a high note m? I can only think of a few.

I said earlier endings suck... and i would realy appreciate if you remind me of 1 that wrapped everything up .. i cant:( so sad actually... ps:maybe 6ft under? TTVOMJ

@baumer  the last 2 series to achieve it was the Austin Powers then the Bourne trilogy.

MV5BMTI3NTkzODI0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjc5
Austin Powers in Goldmember
NL $213,307,889 3,613 $73,071,188 3,613 7/26/2002 Trailers
MV5BMmFkZGQxN2YtODNlYS00MzM5LTk3NjQtNTUx
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
NL $206,040,086 3,314 $54,917,604 3,312 6/11/1999 Trailers
MV5BMTRhZTY0MDItY2I1Yi00MGE3LTk1ZDEtMjA0
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
NL $53,883,989 2,187 $9,548,111 2,187 5/2/1997

MV5BNGNiNmU2YTMtZmU4OS00MjM0LTlmYWUtMjVl
The Bourne Ultimatum
Uni. $227,471,070 3,701 $69,283,690 3,660 8/3/2007 Trailers
Images
MV5BYTIyMDFmMmItMWQzYy00MjBiLTg2M2UtM2Ji
The Bourne Supremacy
Uni. $176,241,941 3,304 $52,521,865 3,165 7/23/2004 Trailers
MV5BM2JkNGU0ZGMtZjVjNS00NjgyLWEyOWYtZmRm
The Bourne Identity
Uni. $121,661,683 2,663 $27,118,640 2,638 6/14/2002 Trailers

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

Too much GoT talk here....there's a lot of movie talk to discuss....GoT is boring.

This is a phenomenal number for Wick and even if you give it sequel erosion, it should still get to a 2.6 multiplier from a 57 mill weekend and you have close to 150 mill.

When is the last time a non super-hero trilogy had this much of an increase from the first to the third?  Such an innocuous beginning to what we have now.  The original made 43 million.  This one has a chance to quadruple that one.  Not likely, but it has a chance.  The last franchise that did that...was it the Austin Powers trilogy?  I don't have the time to look it up but this has to be in select company.  I know it happened all the time 30 or 40 years ago with films like First Blood to Rambo and Terminator to T2 and Lethal Weapon to LW2 and 3, just to name a few examples, but in recent memory?  Not many if any at all.    

Got is boring? Maybe you shouldnt have added that mr mod? TTVOMJ