sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

WICK2 had a 29.5% Sat bump from true Friday. There have been a few cases of sequels scoring better jumps from true Friday than their predecessors recently. Probably cause the increasingly bigger previews suck away some of the true Friday gross. WICK3 will need about that bump to keep 60 ow alive.

21.8 (+30%)

15.7 (-28%)

= 60.2

21.0 (+25%)

14.7 (-30%)

= 58.4

• Thanks 1

It's crazy to remember that Shazam! and Detective Pikachu will not outgross The Lego Movie DOM or WW unadjusted for inflation. That movie still remains WB's one stroke of giant luck in the family market, because while WB's family film department is great quality-wise, it seems like they struggle a lot with marketing these films and finding audiences for them. This year alone, The Lego Movie 2 underwhelmed immensely and will end up being a money loser for WB, while Shazam! and Pikachu will be successful and profitable, but not runaways by any stretch. And as for the next WB family films, Scoob is in a total death zone in its current release date and could struggle past 100M when it could be an easy 150M hitter in September; Space Jam 2 will probably make Lego 2-esque numbers (lest we forget how Looney Tunes: Back To Action bombed + the original Space Jam is seen in a "so bad it's good" nostalgic vibe that may not exactly translate to great numbers for a sequel); DC Super Pets will be another Teen Titans Go (maybe bigger, but not by a lot); and Tom & Jerry will probably only do well if it's 3D animated and not 2D as I presume (unless they go with a Peanuts Movie-like approach and make a 2D/3D-hybrid.... but Peanuts also struggled at the box office), nevermind the fact that it is also in a complete death row in its current release date. It's a shame that a studio with really strong family output has so much problems to reach to that audience, but that's what's happening with WB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Pattinson is probably too good for Batman, not the other way around, considering we just had an out of breath dad-bod Batman going through a mid-life crisis in between shots

LOL! Too good for Batman? Considering actors like Bale, Clooney and Keaton have donned the cape, I don’t think Pattinson is too good for the role. I am in the minority, but I didn’t dislike Ben Affleck’s Batman. Too bad the movies he was in were under performers. I thought he had excellent chemistry with Gal Gadot and had the films been written better and avoided the production messes, he might still be in the role. Pattinson is a teen idol. Might as well have casted Zac Ephron. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

WB should be fine, IT2 and Joker should be decent sized moneymakers, and the jury is open on Godzilla. Next year, WW1984 should claim the domestic crown of 2020 with Avatar 2 gone. GVK and Nolan has huge breakout potential, and I want to say good things about Scoob but now I’m doubting it’ll be huge but Smallfoot to TLM2 numbers should be good if they didn’t go insane with the budget. 2021 has The Batman, which I think should be pretty big not $1.5B big but $1B has a good shot, and Space Jam 2 is still a wildcard. Can see anywhere from $100M to $200M DOM for it.

and never know which movie's gonna breakout, like CRA and ASIB last year for WB.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I agree. I don’t know what WB is thinking are they casting to attract fan girls of Twilight? I don’t think Pattinson is handsome and I don’t find him hot in the least. Plus, his acting isn’t that great. The jury is definitely out on this one. 

Praying they bring in Keaton and do a mentor movie like Batman Beyond. That might just work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

DC Super Pets will be another Teen Titans Go (maybe bigger, but not by a lot)

It depends on if it’s CG Animated which I think it is as they got film writers for this one.

15 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Fallout has a summer Sunday, but being careful about that I like this comp.

Your right about the Summer Sunday, "M:I FO" had a nice Sunday drop.   But Parabellum can still shadow it this weekend slightly.  My best hope was for 25 Friday but I'll take 22.67 is still very strong OD.  "Fallout" came in at 22.8 OD.  

• Founder / Operator
10 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I was just kidding.

Oh, I figured, I just didn't want any rumors to start. :lol:  ;)

But yeah, that movie was a pain to track. Glad it's over with.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Scoob is in a total death zone in its current release date and could struggle past 100M when it could be an easy 150M hitter in September

I agree it should move to September though it has no real threat until Pixar as I imagine Spongebob 3 will struggle towards $100M, they could move it to the weekend after Black Widow as I imagine it’ll likely do around Doctor Strange numbers. The Mitchells vs The Machines could take it’s spot too to give Sony Animation more time to market Vivo. 

9 minutes ago, a2k said:

WICK2 had a 29.5% Sat bump from true Friday. There have been a few cases of sequels scoring better jumps from true Friday than their predecessors recently. Probably cause the increasingly bigger previews suck away some of the true Friday gross. WICK3 will need about that bump to keep 60 ow alive.

21.8 (+30%)

15.7 (-28%)

= 60.2

21.0 (+25%)

14.7 (-30%)

= 58.4

Generally breakouts have better than expected internal multi and so I am hopeful it does the former than later.

• Like 1