sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

Re End Game’s legs:

Boys: Once more, with feeling, from the top:

• It is three hours long
  • It made 357M Opening Weekend
  • It is three hours long
  • It has made circa 750M in 22 Days
  • It is THREE HOURS LONG
  • it is not December
  • THREE HOURS LONG

While the run time did not hinder its opening weekend capabilities, it will no longer be able to maintain optimal showing times going forward.  That will will obviously affect its legs during June until it gets a small FFH bump.

Edited by captainwondyful
Ugly formatting
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

Have we ever seen a franchise grow like the way John Wick has? I mean we see a lot of films enjoy the 2nd film bump generated from good will of the original but most peak there and the 3rd usually sees equal or diminished returns. Even though the beginning point was pretty modest, it is still an incredible feat to see a 14m OW balloon to a 55-60m OW in less than 5 years. Couldn’t be more happy for Keanu Reeves and co. A true class act that never cared about stardom and paychecks like most actors do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I said this before in one of the daily threads but Keanu Reeves has never been down and out. He made gobs of money off of The Matrix sequels and he has said over and over again that he has more money than he will ever be able to spend in about a hundred lifetimes. He is never made movies to be a studio guy he's always done films that he has wanted to do. So in between the Matrix and John Wick he's done a couple of studio films but he's also done a lot of other smaller ones. The choices that he has made have been his own choices any essentially he's made whatever he's wanted to make.

And by all accounts he's a kind, genuine person.  I think he has real limitations as an actor, but I root for him and enjoy his movies.

• Like 9

I kinda had a feeling back in 2017 that there was still room for the John Wick series to grow financially after Chapter 2. The sequel already managed a huge jump over the original, but it seemed like there was still a significant untapped audience that would go for these types of films. Evidently, there was.

• Like 1

It’s been pretty clear that Avengers gave us a brief flirtation of challenging TFA but it’s unreal initial fervor came and went and just isn’t enjoying the stabilization we all thought would happen by now. Even with John Wick exceeding expectations, it’s still less than half of Deadpool 2’s opening and we’re still looking at another 50%+ drop. Kudos to the posters who saw this coming because I still thought it had a shot at 900m heading into last weekend.

But I thought about it like this. We all knew it was gonna break records. I’d say the average prediction was right around 300m. Let’s say it hits 300m OW right on the nose, still shatters the OW record and then goes on to make the 840-850m it’s heading to. Would that be viewed in a more positive light? Same result just a different way of getting there. Seeing a movie as well liked as this continue to free fall is frustrating but in hindsight we should’ve seen it coming. The OW was out of this world huge and people that would’ve caught it in the preceding weekends rushed to it and it’s drops reflect that.

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't see what is wrong with caring about paychecks.

I’m not saying it’s wrong but Keanu Reeves has been known to be very selfless throughout his career which is one of his better traits. He took paycuts to get Al Pacino for Devils Advocate and Gene Hackman for The Replacements. He gave a portion of his paycheck to the stunt men on the Matrix films.

Contrast that to Bruce Willis who turned down Expendables 3 because he was “only” getting 3 million dollars for 4 days work and wanted more.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, blackspider said:

Have we ever seen a franchise grow like the way John Wick has? I mean we see a lot of films enjoy the 2nd film bump generated from good will of the original but most peak there and the 3rd usually sees equal or diminished returns. Even though the beginning point was pretty modest, it is still an incredible feat to see a 14m OW balloon to a 55-60m OW in less than 5 years. Couldn’t be more happy for Keanu Reeves and co. A true class act that never cared about stardom and paychecks like most actors do.

We've had a bunch...and if you wanted supers, Captain America is a heckuva 3-quel grower...and if you wanted animated, Toy Story is another heckuva 3-quel grower...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

We've had a bunch...and if you wanted supers, Captain America is a heckuva 3-quel grower...and if you wanted animated, Toy Story is another heckuva 3-quel grower...

Good examples, I guess you can throw Thor in there as well.

In raw dollars, Toy Story’s growth looks impressive but in terms of actual audience growth it was a slight improvement from film to film ala Lord of the Rings. 

46 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Re End Game’s legs:

• It is three hours long
  • It is three hours long
  • It is THREE HOURS LONG
  • it is not December
  • THREE HOURS LONG

While the run time did not hinder its opening weekend capabilities, it will no longer be able to maintain optimal showing times going forward.  That will will obviously affect its legs during June until it gets a small FFH bump.

Don't forget that's it's a part 2 movie to a massive cliffhanger

all hype and no substance for the GA (plenty for the fans tho)

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 2

It's pretty clear at this point that AE was like a shooting star. It burned incredibly bright at the beginning but sort of petered out because it met most of its demand in the first week. It is what it is.

Having the same basic weekend number as IW is clearly not that good. Next weekend it will probably put up numbers within a percent or 2 of IW again. The next 2 weekends after that though it could pace behind IW even on the weekend as the 5/31 weekend has both Godzilla and Rocketman and the next weekend has Dark Phoenix and SLOP 2. Those are much more competitive weekends then IW had to face last year when the only 40M opener during the stretch was O8. All four of those have potential to open above O8 and 3 almost definitely will.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Re End Game’s legs:

• It is three hours long
  • It is three hours long
  • It is THREE HOURS LONG
  • it is not December
  • THREE HOURS LONG

Saw one ":apocalypse:" reaction and figured it was from one of two posters.

Was not disappointed. :lol:

====

Off to see Wick 3.

So long, suckers.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

27 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

all hype and no substance for the GA (plenty for the fans tho)

Are people still really using “GA” for MCU films?  

bianca del rio GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

• Haha 1

Endgame's legs make sense to me after seeing it. And not because I didn't like it. But where IW had wall-to-wall action and a simple, tense throughline of all the Marvel characters having to respond to a single crisis, Endgame... does different things that wouldn't carry as much rewatch value for those who aren't deeply invested into the MCU as a whole. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blackspider said:

Fast and Furious, maybe. But they had to reconceive it to get to those heights whereas John Wick's appeal has stayed fundamentally the same. 

What another +50% drop means for Endgame.

The film will have around $770.5M after this weekend (phenomenal result, my prediction in early April was $740M max.). It has worse legs than Infinity War, so I think it's pointless to compare these two. I campare Endgame with Iron Man 3. IM3 had its third weekend also on May 17-19th. The film had better drop (-50.7%) and better weekend than Endgame will have (over $35M to around $29M) despite bigger competition (+$70M, PG-13 opener - Star Trek Into Darkness). I know the next weekend there are holidays in U.S. (Memorial Day), but it doesn't change a thing. Alladin, Godzilla and X-Men will cruch Avengers legs even harder. IM3 add $71.3M after its 3rd weekend (17-19.05.13) and I think this is the maximum how much Endgame can add to its domestic gross after this weekend, even with Spider-Man boost in early July. This means, $842 million is where Endgame is heading. . . or less.

Endgame will have one of the worst legs among MCU titles, next to Civil War and Iron Man 3.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Endgame's legs make sense to me after seeing it. And not because I didn't like it. But where IW had wall-to-wall action and a simple, tense throughline of all the Marvel characters having to respond to a single crisis, Endgame... does different things that wouldn't carry as much rewatch value for those who aren't deeply invested into the MCU as a whole. 

I agree with this take.