sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

Yes "John Wick" is gonna join the franchise increase club with each film rising domestically.  LOTR did it. (Hobbit went in reverse)  Marvel did it 2 times with "Cap and Thor" (Iron man 2 dipped from IM but not by much, Avengers 2 Dipped).   Boure first 3 increased but I guess the last Boure's messed up that record.  "Twilight" first 3 increased but the last two didn't improve over the 3rd.  "Toy Story" did it and has a chance to keep it going with 4 straight films increasing with "Toy Story 4".   What's amazing is JW OW's keep doubling, lol. 

JW 14

JW2 30

JW3 60

JW4 2021 120 OW  :lol:

Edited by filmscholar

25 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Blair Witch 2 is the inverse.

Domestically it made 18.5% of the original. Absolutely god awful. Then they made a 3rd and it did even worse!

Just thought of another recent example. Alice in Wonderland: 334m

Alice Through the Looking Glass: 77m

Only 23% retention. Alice in Wonderland is one of the flukiest BO runs in recent memory. Probably the film that benefitted the most on the post-Avatar 3D hype. After it made $1B WW, that benchmark lost some of its luster for me.

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

It was pretty commonplace in the 70s and 80s for the first film to do Master business and then the sequel, even if it was a good one decreased significantly. Look at jaws and Star Wars and raiders of the lost ark and Beverly Hills cop and so on.

I think it helps in John Wick's case that the first only did modest business. Most sequels that increase from the first are following a movie that did respectable but not amazing business, like in the case of Austin Powers, or are following a film that was very successful, but wasn't one of the years 1, 2, or 3rd highest grossing flick like say Lethal Weapon. John Wick falls in the first category. 

Huge movies that have sequels will generally decrease, because while they open huge, they don't quite have the same sort of repeat value as the first, especially back in the day when that mattered. 

48 minutes ago, blackspider said:

Yep, I’m in full agreement this is rare territory. I do take in account the low opening of the first to slightly downplay it but usually when the first one opens low, the sequel is the one that reaps all the benefits and the third has the task of matching it which isn’t the case here. This is unprecedented to see its audience expand in such a short time.

That is not a bad comparison. Still Phantom Menace despite being huge was not the record holder(though all the star war fans were screaming that it will crush titanic back in 1999). Endgame was staring at crushing TFA and 1B. but suddenly the auditorium is empty 🙂

Edit: Guru's preview for Phantom Menace.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/phantompreview.htm

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/forum18.htm

Edited by keysersoze123

4 hours ago, sfran43 said:

In theater right now to see John Wick! Doing my part for puppy vengeance!!😏

Saw it, loved it! Don't want to say too much to accidentally give out spoilers,  but hot damn, Halle and Keanu + action sequences = lit AF!!!😍 I can't believe they're both 50+!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think it helps in John Wick's case that the first only did modest business. Most sequels that increase from the first are following a movie that did respectable but not amazing business, like in the case of Austin Powers, or are following a film that was very successful, but wasn't one of the years 1, 2, or 3rd highest grossing flick like say Lethal Weapon. John Wick falls in the first category. 

Huge movies that have sequels will generally decrease, because while they open huge, they don't quite have the same sort of repeat value as the first, especially back in the day when that mattered. 

I had a similar assessment, the first ones modest run gave its sequel plenty of room to grow and it did just that. More than doubled the original OW and final gross. 90m for a hard R action movie was a huge win but where would it go from here? 

Now we’re seeing the third attempt to pull off another massive increase and enter official blockbuster status as one of the great action franchises in recent memory.

If that’s not impressive, I don’t know what is. It’s refreshing to know movies can still impress me despite the fact we witnessed a movie make 357 million dollars in a weekend just a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Did I seriously just see 2 people suggest that Endgame has bad WOM? L O L

While I disagree with him, to be fair he said the WOM outside the population vested in MCU is not great. But the population vested in MCU is huge and so it does not matter.

I will give an anecdotal example, My wife used to see MCU movies(IM till Civil War) but stopped bcos of higher priorities. She was curious enough to see endgame as it was last of this phase. But she was not vested as movie was hard to comprehend if you have not seen IW. that is not bad WOM but you cant be vested if you have not seen previous movies.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Historically long movie and OW record breaker had good multiplier even outside December, Spider-Man, first Potter, Dark Knight, Avengers, Jurassic World.

There is some exception outside the MCU, Spider Man 3, Deathly Hallows 2.

A good comparable of why the low multiplier is Deathly Hallows Part 2, much more than runtime imo (lower run time we probably have an higher OW and similar if not worst legs multiplier).

It is not just a case of burning demand and runtime, there is something about how mediocrre the WOM probably among people not invested in the saga must be, that do not create the usual Giant OW help multiplier instead of hurting it (like Beauty, Black Panther, Jurassic World, etc...) phenomenom we see, it must be impossible for someone that have seen all the MCU before this one to feel like a newcomer can feel watching this.

It was one of the worst competently made big budget movie watching experience for me for a good part of the runtime, the giant one of the great last hour easily make up for it and will give great cinemascore/out of theater buzz, but good start for a movie is where a lot of rewatch/staying power can come from.

Mediocre wom? Endgame?:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

giphy.gif

wElBXfQzJaEKfBXPQgqlZ-xnVLNRKkg68RBZudn6

The film about to top the highest grossing film of all time has mediocre wom. Thank you man, I needed the laugh.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Anyone that is serious and says that a movie which is just outgrossing Avatars DOM total any minute now, has bad WOM, needs to leave this site.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Endgame would have better legs if GoT didn't capture the imagination of former moviegoers around the world. People would rather stay at home furiously debating GoT online and rewatching the episodes rather than go rewatch EG.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Seasons 1-4 are masterpieces. Seasons 5 and 6 have their ups and downs, but are still very much enjoyable.

I wont say anything about what comes after that.

Season 3 has been my favourite so far. Starting season 4 now. 

The only thing I dislike so far is there isn’t enough justice against the evil characters. Hopefully that changes a little bit. 

I have been warned about season 8 lol. 

9 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Anyone that is serious and says that a movie which is just outgrossing Avatars DOM total any minute now, has bad WOM, needs to leave this site.

I think his comment is being spinned. he said "WOM probably among people not invested in the saga "

FYI there are people in the world who dont see SH movies. My office in my pod alone half the people dont go to see any SH movies.

Assume you have never seen other movies and directly jump into endgame and not a fan of SH movies, do you expect them to love it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Endgame would have better legs if GoT didn't capture the imagination of former moviegoers around the world. People would rather stay at home furiously debating GoT online and rewatching the episodes rather than go rewatch EG.

I doubt viewership is that huge to impact Endgame but that is a new argument 🙂

Yeah, some of you guys really need to pay more attention to the specific wording of certain posts instead of mindlessly posting laughing memes. I certainly get what Barnack is saying and I think it's true to an extent. No matter how big a movie opens, there's no cap on rewatches. Obviously the legs for EG are more than fine for a movie that opened as big as it did, but it's also okay to suggest that the rewatch factor may not be as prevalent for people outside the MCU fanbase. It seems logical to me. If it wasn't the case, we'd see better holds, no matter how big the opening was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And back.

Pretty good flick, though I have a little bit of an issue with it.  Enough to drop down the score.

Thinking 8.5/10 right now.  Might raise to 9 if I go one way on my thoughts, 8/10 the other.

For people craving action, it's really really REALLLLLLLY good.

For folks who crave world-building along side action, you'll get it and then some.

For people who want to see style and sophistication along side a body count in the hundreds (and I KNOW you're out there), it delivers in spades.

It's also terrifically acted with I don't think one duff performance.

But I think my main non-spoiler thoughts is just how damn funny the film is at times.  Like I won't say it's a comedy by any stretch of the imagination.  But it is really funny at times.  And not just in comic relief matters, either.  Continuing in the Wick tradition, I suppose.

Anything else I have to say borders on spoilers so I'll leave it to a RTM or elsewhere.

So, not perfect, but recommended.  Def something to watch in theaters, especially if you like the above things I talk about.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1