sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think his comment is being spinned. he said "WOM probably among people not invested in the saga "

FYI there are people in the world who dont see SH movies. My office in my pod alone half the people dont go to see any SH movies.

Assume you have never seen other movies and directly jump into endgame and not a fan of SH movies, do you expect them to love it.

Dude, I know a shitload of people that don’t care about superhero films at all but saw this film. Please understand, once a film gets to $1b, let alone $2b, you can’t talk this being just "superhero film" fans. The idea itself is ludicrous. I don’t like horror movies. I know that there are films that are excellent with excellent wom that I don’t go see in the theaters. "People that don’t like superhero films" isn’t a sign of bad wom. What this film is doing, topping Avatar when the dollar is considerably stronger than it was in 2009/2010 isn’t something you do with just hardcore fans. I don’t even know why I have to type this on bot out of all places. Deathly Hollows pt. 2 drops clearly show that it was very hardcore fans based, this obviously isn’t because well, look at these fucking numbers. Cmon y’all.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Season 3 has been my favourite so far. Starting season 4 now. 

The only thing I dislike so far is there isn’t enough justice against the evil characters. Hopefully that changes a little bit. 

I have been warned about season 8 lol. 

cd2e78faa01d4be094b2dcf087b002f49a9cab4a

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

And back.

Pretty good flick, though I have a little bit of an issue with it.  Enough to drop down the score.

Thinking 8.5/10 right now.  Might raise to 9 if I go one way on my thoughts, 8/10 the other.

For people craving action, it's really really REALLLLLLLY good.

For folks who crave world-building along side action, you'll get it and then some.

For people who want to see style and sophistication along side a body count in the hundreds (and I KNOW you're out there), it delivers in spades.

It's also terrifically acted with I don't think one duff performance.

But I think my main non-spoiler thoughts is just how damn funny the film is at times.  Like I won't say it's a comedy by any stretch of the imagination.  But it is really funny at times.  And not just in comic relief matters, either.  Continuing in the Wick tradition, I suppose.

Anything else I have to say borders on spoilers so I'll leave it to a RTM or elsewhere.

So, not perfect, but recommended.  Def something to watch in theaters, especially if you like the above things I talk about.

I 2nd this whole post!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Dude, I know a shitload of people that don’t care about superhero films at all but saw this film. Please understand, once a film gets to $1b, let alone $2b, you can’t talk this being just "superhero film" fans. The idea itself is ludicrous. I don’t like horror movies. I know that there are films that are excellent with excellent wom that I don’t go see in the theaters. "People that don’t like superhero films" isn’t a sign of bad wom. What this film is doing, topping Avatar when the dollar is considerably stronger than it was in 2009/2010 isn’t something you do with just hardcore fans. I don’t even know why I have to type this on bot out of all places. Deathly Hollows pt. 2 drops clearly show that it was very hardcore fans based, this obviously isn’t because well, look at these fucking numbers. Cmon y’all.

I agree. Its not just SH movie fans. This played way wider. There was curiousity factor that helped it get in audience who have not seen previous movies. What also helped was the universe was built very well and so it has a large movie going population who were eagerly waiting for this movie. After all despite Endgame crushing IW, IW itself was not a small movie. That grossed over $2B and I am 100% sure almost everyone who saw that movie would have seen this movie. That is what almost 200million+ WW population even if you take avg ticket rate of $10(its probably at least 50-100% more). So bottomline is what the person mentioning WOM is not wrong but irrelevant.

37 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

WOM is mediocre even amongst people invested in the saga. One look at any comic book forum is enough, don’t let the bubble of this forum fool you. Nice point about the giant OW help multiplier too, usually a giant OW (let alone an opening weekend like this, an unprecedented one) can create a snowball effect making the film a must see for almost everyone based on hype alone. Instead this OW seems to be used as an excuse for the legs that we are seeing, something that previous huge OW films like the ones you mention or even TFA avoided with ease, having huge OW AND good to great legs. The only movie that I can think of, that wasn’t a dud like BvS, that faced similar issues is HP:DH2 , all the other huge OW movies had good multipliers.

It's almost like you have no understanding of how numbers and percentages work.  Like, none.

EG made $146 million in its second weekend.  For you or anyone else to use that as evidence that it had mediocre WOM because that was a certain percentage drop from OW is almost incromprehensible.

It's third weekend, after already making $660 million, when the overwhelming majority of people who were really looking forward to seeing it had already done so in order to avoid spoilers, it made $63 million.  I'm not sure how to phrase that so you actaully understand.  In its 3rd weekend, after already having made $660 million, it still made another $63 million.

I truly do not understand what could possibly be going through your head that allows you to see a number like $63 million and come to the conclusion, "Oh man, that thing has really mediocre WOM, only the hardcore fans are seeing it, it's so disappointing."

My tentative hypothesis-- which seems to me to be pretty far fetched, but it's the best I've got-- is that you simply look at percentage numbers without understanding their context, or why they're so often used, or what they actually mean.  Like someone who reads in an article that eating a certain food has been found to double your rate of some rare cancer and jumps to the conclusion that it's a dangerous carcenogen, when in reality it just moves the probability of getting that form of cancer from 1/600,000 to 1/300,000, and isn't worth sparing a second thought about.  Like, "OMG, it doubles the rate of that rare form of cancer I can't pronounce, quick, get it all out of the house!"

The percentage declines that EG is exhibiting mean that it's not going to hit the final totals that many people were predicting after its first weekend.  That is a useful and interesting data point which can be used to help projecting movies that have many similarities to EG in the future.  It shows the limitations of applying existing formulae and patterns to a new case that is so wildly different than all previous data, such as when a movie is so popular that theaters stay open 24 hours a day for 3 straight days and a movie grosses 39% more money opening weekend than any previous movie.  And it is disappointing to people who were rooting for it to break some records it probably won't break.  But it doesn't imply that the WOM was bad, or that audiences didn't like it as much as other movies that experienced smaller percentage week-to-week decreases, or anything of that kind, and it's ridiculous to argue otherwise.

• Like 5

I know quite a few folks who enjoyed End Game but didn't enjoy it enough to want to rewatch it again in cinemas partly due to the 3 hour run time and how the first part of the movie unfolds. These people aren't as invested in the MCU and typically turn out for the Avenger films or a solo movie here and there. 

I hope that doesn't mean you guys think I'm claiming it has mediocre WOM. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

While I disagree with him, to be fair he said the WOM outside the population vested in MCU is not great. But the population vested in MCU is huge and so it does not matter.

I will give an anecdotal example, My wife used to see MCU movies(IM till Civil War) but stopped bcos of higher priorities. She was curious enough to see endgame as it was last of this phase. But she was not vested as movie was hard to comprehend if you have not seen IW. that is not bad WOM but you cant be vested if you have not seen previous movies.

Bad wom films fail like BVS. This will be one of the most profitable films of all time despite the highest budget.

Edited by cdsacken

ENDGAME will end up making around half a billion dollars domestically after opening weekend.

Spinning that as bad or disappointing is either fanboy-motivated or insane.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Mediocre wom? Endgame?

Well you need to bold the hole sentence, among people not invested in the saga.

I mean are you being serious ? Do you think someone for  most for who it was their first MCU movie they ever saw went around their office saying how must see that movie is to others ? Could be a country to country but here it is not playing like that at all.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

I know quite a few folks who enjoyed End Game but didn't enjoy it enough to want to rewatch it again in cinemas partly due to the 3 hour run time and how the first part of the movie unfolds. These people aren't as invested in the MCU and typically turn out for the Avenger films or a solo movie here and there. 

I hope that doesn't mean you guys think I'm claiming it has mediocre WOM. 

This. Bingo. No need to swoop in and defend EG because this is a very fair take.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Dude, I know a shitload of people that don’t care about superhero films at all but saw this film.

How many people do you know for who that was the first MCU movie in year's and saw less than 3 of them ? What was their opinion of it ? How did they understood ? So many moments are dependent on pre-awareness.

Edited by Barnack

Another reason I believe Endgame is falling harder than most people would like is during its OW, many people were forced to get 3D showings due to 2D showings being in higher demand. That brought the 3D share up to 46% in its OW, a pretty high number in 2019.

But once the demand goes down, the 2D share goes up and 3D goes down. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 3D share is below 20% now. So the amount of people watching week to week might not be as steep as it looks, but in terms of real dollars it’s feeling it.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Porthos said:

And back.

Pretty good flick, though I have a little bit of an issue with it.  Enough to drop down the score.

Thinking 8.5/10 right now.  Might raise to 9 if I go one way on my thoughts, 8/10 the other.

For people craving action, it's really really REALLLLLLLY good.

For folks who crave world-building along side action, you'll get it and then some.

For people who want to see style and sophistication along side a body count in the hundreds (and I KNOW you're out there), it delivers in spades.

It's also terrifically acted with I don't think one duff performance.

But I think my main non-spoiler thoughts is just how damn funny the film is at times.  Like I won't say it's a comedy by any stretch of the imagination.  But it is really funny at times.  And not just in comic relief matters, either.  Continuing in the Wick tradition, I suppose.

Anything else I have to say borders on spoilers so I'll leave it to a RTM or elsewhere.

So, not perfect, but recommended.  Def something to watch in theaters, especially if you like the above things I talk about.

This is exactly how I feel about this trilogy and The Raid 1 & 2, I wish there was a third already for The Raid movies. 

People in this topic seem way too defensive when it comes to anything that can even be slightly perceived as a negative slight to Endgame. Like chill. It's made so much damn money that people shouldn't feel the need to defend its internet honor lol. We all know it was a huge success with great word of mouth for the most part but the guy talking about how it probably didn't have a lot of replay value to people not invested in the MCU did have a point and to dismiss it with laughing gifs is silly.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Just now, DisposedData said:

People in this topic seem way too defensive when it comes to anything that can even be slightly perceived as a negative slight to Endgame. Like chill. It's made so much damn money that people shouldn't feel the need to defend its internet honor lol. We all know it was a huge success with great word of mouth for the most part but the guy talking about how it probably didn't have a lot of replay value to people not invested in the MCU did have a point and to dismiss it with laughing gifs is silly.

Yes, exactly. Thank you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

This is exactly how I feel about this trilogy and The Raid 1 & 2, I wish there was a third already for The Raid movies. 

Has people seen ?:

Apparently it is very Raid like.

• Like 1

We're in such a different age for mega-blockbusters that you can't use legs quite the same way as you could even a decade ago to gauge how well a huge film is received. Putting Endgame aside for a second, consider the following examples:

- The Hunger Games, Beauty and the Beast, and Spider-Man: Homecoming all stayed in the top ten for ten weeks apiece, and none hit a 3.0 opening-to-total multiplier. They each had fairly long-lasting staying power even though their multipliers may not say so at first glance.

- Black Panther, which had extremely strong audience reception, stayed at #1 for five weekends, and spent the entirety of its theatrical-to-physical home media window in the top ten, "only" landed a multiplier of around 3.465.

(And yes, measuring time in the top ten is arbitrary and dependent upon the release slate around a given film, but I still think it's a fair measure given that even many films with higher opening-to-total multipliers don't pull it off.)

The biggest movies open so huge so fast with so much available screen space that even more casual fans have the opportunity to catch a major tentpole in its opening weekend. Unless we see something extremely dramatic - like a film falling under a 2.0 multiplier - I wouldn't necessarily read into it as weak word-of-mouth so much as a reflection of cinemas' increasing ability to accommodate massive demand over the first few days of release.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Minnale101 said:

someone really said endgame has bad wom 

Feel like some misquote fake news.

How does mediocre among people not invested in the saga, become bad wom ?

Mediocre is quite above bad, people not invested in the saga is not the giant among of people that are.

• Like 1