sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

9 minutes ago, JB33 said:

This. Bingo. No need to swoop in and defend EG because this is a very fair take.

What @Nova said isn't really the same of what Barnack did. People not going for second viewings is the case to literally the majority of moviegoers, regardless the film. Endgame isn't a film that anyone needs to defend, the film is about to cross $2.6B. 

But there are takes that are so bad that you either go to sleep or you laugh your ass off of how bad it is. Endgame is performing unlike anything in almost ten years, and it's pulling out all that with a weaker  exchange rate and in the beginning of the movie theaters Summer in the USA. Claiming that some aren't as invested and saw it once is one thing, saying that only superhero fans are going to see it and not casuals is completely absurd and laughable. You either do it for ignorance or bad faith, I don't see how could be two ways about this.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Claiming that some aren't as invested and saw it once is one thing, saying that only superhero fans are going to see it and not casuals is completely absurd and laughable.

Who said that ?

The claim was mediocre WOM among those not invested in the Saga.

Do you know many people for who that was the first MCU movie they saw and was giving it big recommendation at your workplace ?

Edited by Barnack

11 minutes ago, blackspider said:

Another reason I believe Endgame is falling harder than most people would like is during its OW, many people were forced to get 3D showings due to 2D showings being in higher demand. That brought the 3D share up to 46% in its OW, a pretty high number in 2019.

But once the demand goes down, the 2D share goes up and 3D goes down. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 3D share is below 20% now. So the amount of people watching week to week might not be as steep as it looks, but in terms of real dollars it’s feeling it.

Excellent point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

We're in such a different age for mega-blockbusters that you can't use legs quite the same way as you could even a decade ago to gauge how well a huge film is received. Putting Endgame aside for a second, consider the following examples:

- The Hunger Games, Beauty and the Beast, and Spider-Man: Homecoming all stayed in the top ten for ten weeks apiece, and none hit a 3.0 opening-to-total multiplier. They each had fairly long-lasting staying power even though their multipliers may not say so at first glance.

- Black Panther, which had extremely strong audience reception, stayed at #1 for five weekends, and spent the entirety of its theatrical-to-physical home media window in the top ten, "only" landed a multiplier of around 3.465.

(And yes, measuring time in the top ten is arbitrary and dependent upon the release slate around a given film, but I still think it's a fair measure given that even many films with higher opening-to-total multipliers don't pull it off.)

The biggest movies open so huge so fast with so much available screen space that even more casual fans have the opportunity to catch a major tentpole in its opening weekend. Unless we see something extremely dramatic - like a film falling under a 2.0 multiplier - I wouldn't necessarily read into it as weak word-of-mouth so much as a reflection of cinemas' increasing ability to accommodate massive demand over the first few days of release.

Agreed. Also the advantage new movies have of opening Thursday night has essentially made the OW 3.5 days. We often judge the movies 2nd weekend drop with previews taken out. But that’s still money and demand burned and Endgame is the first movie to truly take advantage of how much demand can be satisfied in an opening. TFA opened during the holidays so it was slightly subdued but based off its performance, I have no doubt it would’ve pulled something similar with Endgames release date.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

How said that ?

The claim was mediocre WOM among those not invested in the Saga.

A film that is at $2.6B doesn’t get there with "mediocre WOM among those not invested in the Saga". I know that you aren’t stupid, and this isn’t the first time I saw you coming with some weird hot takes. 

The numbers speak for themselves. You insisting in your take just shows what your intentions are. I have more shit to do than discussing if Endgame has mediocre WOM among casual moviegoers. Go ahead and troll away.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, andrewgr said:

If your main sticking point is with the last 10 minutes or so, I am willing to wager the next movie will start with the same scene being reinterpreted due to flashbacks and/or same action with different camera angles showing currently unseen things.

I have talked about my complaint in the RTM thread. :)

Edited by Porthos

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

What @Nova said isn't really the same of what Barnack did. People not going for second viewings is the case to literally the majority of moviegoers, regardless the film. Endgame isn't a film that anyone needs to defend, the film is about to cross $2.6B. 

But there are takes that are so bad that you either go to sleep or you laugh your ass off of how bad it is. Endgame is performing unlike anything in almost ten years, and it's pulling out all that with a weaker  exchange rate and in the beginning of the movie theaters Summer in the USA. Claiming that some aren't as invested and saw it once is one thing, saying that only superhero fans are going to see it and not casuals is completely absurd and laughable. You either do it for ignorance or bad faith, I don't see how could be two ways about this.

Yeah, actually when I read your last post I realized some of us are talking about two different things: word of mouth and replay value. Word of mouth was EXCELLENT, as everyone and their grandma saw it. Replay value I imagine is also fairly good, but judging my some anecdotal evidence here and there plus the drops, it seems that, for more folks than I originally thought, 1 time was enough.

I also wanted to say something else. I've actually been meaning to share this for awhile now. The numbers and legs for this movie are just fine (legs are just fine, raw numbers are out of this world actually!). However, for a box office nerd like myself, I think the issue is simply that, with the drops, the movie isn't doing anything new after opening week. Not long ago we were celebrating something unprecedented, and then suddenly EG's 4th weekened might even be UNDER IW. Again, the raw numbers are insane so it doesn't really matter. It just sucks that the box office came down to earth so fast. 

With a movie like TFA at Christmas, the fun lasted a long time because it set the opening weekend record, the weekdays were record-breaking, then it set the 2nd weekend record, then the 3rd weekend record etc.

I think maybe at the end of the day some of us were just hoping the fun with EG's box office would last a little longer. I don't think there's any genuine disappointment in the numbers from anyone here, though it may feel like it in a way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I think maybe at the end of the day some of us were just hoping the fun with EG's box office would last a little longer. I don't think there's any genuine disappointment in the numbers from anyone here, though it may feel like it in a way.

Yeah, that's really the key. The opportunities to set some of these records are super rare, would have loved to see another 1-5 fall. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While I'm here, did want to mention that out of all the trailers we saw, the only one to get any sort of reaction was Stuber which had scattered but consistent laughs throughout it.

Pretty much dead silence for everything else, including Hobbs and Shaw.

I know, majorly anecdotal, but still wanted to mention it in case anyone else saw the same thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

That’s a fair point. Once the 2nd weekend started coming in, things kinda came back down to earth and while the numbers are huge, they weren’t blowing people away.

TFA made every prior blockbuster look like a bitch domestically.

Now that is the benchmark so Endgame gets measured to that standard, whether fair or not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Yeah, that's really the key. The opportunities to set some of these records are super rare, would have loved to see another 1-5 fall. 

Exactly.

If the numbers aren't appreciated enough now, rest assured once its run is over and box office fans are busying themselves with other films and box office runs, we'll all be able to look back on this with nothing but fondness and amazement! However, in the moment there's a bit of nitpicking and griping, which is understandable on a box office forum. After all, we get into the nitty gritty with drops and holds and all that. We're looking at this under a magnifying glass.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I also wanted to say something else. I've actually been meaning to share this for awhile now. The numbers and legs for this movie are just fine (legs are just fine, raw numbers are out of this world actually!). However, for a box office nerd like myself, I think the issue is simply that, with the drops, the movie isn't doing anything new after opening week. Not long ago we were celebrating something unprecedented, and then suddenly EG's 4th weekened might even be UNDER IW. Again, the raw numbers are insane so it doesn't really matter. It just sucks that the box office came down to earth so fast. 

With a movie like TFA at Christmas, the fun lasted a long time because it set the opening weekend record, the weekdays were record-breaking, then it set the 2nd weekend record, then the 3rd weekend record etc.

As someone more interested in how box office predictions work, forecasting demand for future films, etc., and not someone who necessarily cares as much about records being shattered, I think this is the best grounded approach to take.

I feel like if the movie broke the domestic and international opening weekend record by being just barely above "Infinity War" and then went on to have "great legs" every weekend afterwards just to end up at the same point it will end at (whatever that ends up being)... the tune from many "disappointed" folks here would be the exact opposite... which I find kind of silly.

It's pretty reasonable to treat a 200x2 run and a 100x4 run very differently imo. In the case of Endgame the OW was really obscene though. Even if it reached the same total from 307 it would be a great multi.

37 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

We also need to remember Endgame is a direct sequel to IW so it's playing like one (bigger OW, weaker legs).

Yet whenever I called IW a part one film last year people said I was wrong and that my posts were just bait. 

Glad those people finally realised that IW is a part 1 film now that they’ve seen Part 2. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Yet whenever I called IW a part one film last year people said I was wrong and that my posts were just bait.

Glad those people finally realised that IW is a part 1 film now that they’ve seen Part 2.

Still haven't realized that "sequel" and "part 2" aren't the same thing, huh?

• Like 2

Also, LMFAO at someone suggesting that I find someone that hasn’t seeing any other Marvel Studios film ever. This thing has 21 films prior to this, we have internet, cable, social media, Netflix, piracy,etc. The only way for someone have this as his/her first film is if (s)he was in a coma.

Seeing some superhero films and sawing Endgame doesn’t make someone a hardcore fan. And while I’m quite sure that the replay value is insanely high (a film doesn’t get this big without that either) of course that most will only see it once, say ‘it’s awesome, go see it!" and move on with their day. That is the case of people that saw Avatar, Titanic, The Force Awakens and etc. This film is a cultural phenomenon, just like the biggest we ever saw. Films like that don’t get that high without god sent wom and casuals watching it. The rest is the most absolute noise.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It's pretty reasonable to treat a 200x2 run and a 100x4 run very differently imo. In the case of Endgame the OW was really obscene though. Even if it reached the same total from 307 it would be a great multi.

Yep, the opening weekend made up for the later records the movie isn't setting (2nd weekend, 3rd weekend etc.). I suppose setting the OW record by $100M will do that.

The opening week numbers were also really fun as well, given the days were April 29 to May 2! Those aren't Christmas holidays or summer holidays. No spring break. Nothing. Those are plain, ordinary school/work days. Because of that, I consider those the best weekdays of all time at the domestic box office.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

If the numbers aren't appreciated enough now, rest assured once its run is over and box office fans are busying themselves with other films 

I don't think anyone really appreciates the numbers and the worldwide displays they are put up on.  I wonder if theater counts will be averaging 4,000 locations soon since Endgame went well beyond 4,500+ locations

….

photo-crowd-hand-raise-question.jpg

does anyone here have a condition where they can't handle it in a room like this when they see a single hand raised and answered?

• Like 1