sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

As so many have mentioned already, EG didn't just break the OW record, it fucking tortured it, hung it, revived it so it could draw and quarter it, cut off it's balls, removed its eyeballs with a dull spoon and then ate it raw and spit it out.  100 million dollar increase from an already insane OW is just ridiculous.  So to see it have legs like Civil War instead of Avengers, isn't alarming, surprising, concerning or jarring.  Just because we all think we have a grasp of the box office, doesn't mean we actually do.  Some of us have been dissecting the minutia of the BO for more than 25 years and still we are fed big poop sandwiches once in a while.  

Did I think the legs on this would be closer to 2.6 than 2.4?  Yep, I did.  I thought it would get to 900 but not pass TFA.  But when you satisfy that much upfront demand and when people are seeing your film 3 times in three days, you really have nowhere to go but down.  So the film is not having poor wom and the legs are bad in a purely literal sense, but if you dig a little deeper and dream a little bigger darling, you'll see that the film is behaving perhaps in the only way it possibly could. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

And another thing about Keanu, according to imdb, wikipedia and other articles I researched, he made more than 200 million from the Matrix movies.  He doesn't need money and he has said numerous times that he has made more money than he could spend in 10 lifetimes.  So jut to hammer home the point one more time, he really never went anywhere, he just didn't need to work.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Also, LMFAO at someone suggesting that I find someone that hasn’t seeing any other Marvel Studios film ever. This thing has 21 films prior to this, we have internet, cable, social media, Netflix, piracy,etc. The only way for someone have this as his/her first film is if (s)he was in a coma.

Seeing some superhero films and sawing Endgame doesn’t make someone a hardcore fan. And while I’m quite sure that the replay value is insanely high (a film doesn’t get this big without that either) of course that most will only see it once, say ‘it’s awesome, go see it!" and move on with their day. That is the case of people that saw Avatar, Titanic, The Force Awakens and etc. This film is a cultural phenomenon, just like the biggest we ever saw. Films like that don’t get that high without god sent wom and casuals watching it. The rest is the most absolute noise.

Just someone that had seen less than 5 of the MCU then. I know a lot of people that have seen none of those movies.

Maybe we just have a very different bar of what someone not invested in the saga is (someone that have seen more than 10 of those MCU is invested in it), considering your avatar and going to Avengers theme party, maybe you think I am speaking of someone that have seen all the Avengers but do not read comics and do not talk a lot about it or something.

I am not sure why seem now your pure speculation of how reassuring to other would be first MCU movie of their life the WOM is (that would be needed for such a big OW to have a not really low multi)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Not that it matters, but John Wick WOM in Vietnam is insane. Rating is at 9.6/10 (started out at 8.8), higher than Endgame's highest (currently 9.2, started out 9.5). Audience went nuts.

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Not that it matters, but John Wick WOM in Vietnam is insane. Rating is at 9.6/10 (started out at 8.8), higher than Endgame's highest (currently 9.2). Audience went nuts.

Oh it matters!!  Every region matters.  I love hearing reports like this.  I know Vietnam isn't the same as Japan or Indonesia or South Korea, but if it has terrific WOM in one Asian country, perhaps it bodes well for others.

• Like 3

Just now, Barnack said:

Just someone that had seen less than 5 of the MCU them then.

Maybe we just have a very different bar of what someone not invested in the saga is (someone that have seen more than 10 of those MCU is invested in it), considering your avatar and going to Avengers theme party, maybe you think I am speaking of someone that have seen all the Avengers but do not read comics and talk a lot about it or something.

giphy.gif

73b8sDgE6BdhFvENsKZCTbhpOEQedZtBgJ6MQj5M

• Haha 1

About Endgame, the movie is basically making as much money as it could. There's a certain amount of demand and the only difference is one's path to reach it. If it is meant to make 800M or 825M or 850M, it will make it.

Normally i would prefer legs over insane OW. However in today's competitive environment, maybe it's best for megablockbusters to perform like Endgame, since it's making money so fast that competition won't be a big pain in the ass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

Oh it matters!!  Every region matters.  I love hearing reports like this.  I know Vietnam isn't the same as Japan or Indonesia or South Korea, but if it has terrific WOM in one Asian country, perhaps it bodes well for others.

The sample size in VN is quite small, but i find that score usually in sync with Maoyan, which can be interpreted into Taiwainese or South Korean ratings. 

Moviegoers are still a little skeptical since this is Chapter 3 already and most of them haven't seen the first 2.

• Like 1

Are there honestly people still attempting to disparage Endgame's historic BO run? People who were expecting top-tier MCU legs needed to look at Deathly Hallows II in regard to how these mega-franchise finales are more front-loaded. I said 825m-875m domestic, 2.5b-2.7b worldwide on opening Sunday, and it looks like that's going to hold. Absolutely ballistic numbers. Solidly the #2 film of all time. Not sure how anyone could attempt to spin that as a negative.

• Thanks 1

Since The Raid and John Wick are being mentioned, i find it appropriate to drop a similar genre Vietnamese movie here. It's basically Kidnap with martial arts, in the style of JW. Coming to Netflix and Bluray at the end of the month, one of Vietnam's firsts.

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think TFA has warped our perspectives a bit. Let’s not forget that TFA was the first modern blockbuster to break the OW crown and claim top domestic performer and did so convincingly. 

We’ve seen the OW record fall countless times and most didn’t come close to being #1 all-time.

I know a counter argument to that would be since Endgame broke the record by such a large margin it’s road to #1 is easier. It’s true, it beat the previous OW by 38%.

Only other recent example that comes close is Spider-Man which beat Harry Potter by 28%. A still collosal opening for its time much like Endgame.

Spider-Man fell about 200m short of the all-time spot despite having a terrific run. In fact, if Endgame ends around 850m it will be around 90% of TFA’s total, much better than the 67% Spider-Man had against Titanic.

Maybe not a true apples to apples comparison, but what was true back then still applies today; what goes up must come down. 

Edited by blackspider
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

And another thing about Keanu, according to imdb, wikipedia and other articles I researched, he made more than 200 million from the Matrix movies.  He doesn't need money and he has said numerous times that he has made more money than he could spend in 10 lifetimes.  So jut to hammer home the point one more time, he really never went anywhere, he just didn't need to work.

I love how chill he has been about everything ever since Man of Tai Chi (a favourite of mine) and I am guessing he always has been that kind of a guy. He always riding his bike to everywhere and stopping for fans and giving them all his attention. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Are there honestly people still attempting to disparage Endgame's historic BO run? People who were expecting top-tier MCU legs needed to look at Deathly Hallows II in regard to how these mega-franchise finales are more front-loaded. I said 825m-875m domestic, 2.5b-2.7b worldwide on opening Sunday, and it looks like that's going to hold. Absolutely ballistic numbers. Solidly the #2 film of all time. Not sure how anyone could attempt to spin that as a negative.

Props on the measured expectation DOM, but FWIW that WW range is not going to hold.

29 minutes ago, baumer said:

As so many have mentioned already, EG didn't just break the OW record, it fucking tortured it, hung it, revived it so it could draw and quarter it, cut off it's balls, removed its eyeballs with a dull spoon and then ate it raw and spit it out.  100 million dollar increase from an already insane OW is just ridiculous.  So to see it have legs like Civil War instead of Avengers, isn't alarming, surprising, concerning or jarring.  Just because we all think we have a grasp of the box office, doesn't mean we actually do.  Some of us have been dissecting the minutia of the BO for more than 25 years and still we are fed big poop sandwiches once in a while.  

Did I think the legs on this would be closer to 2.6 than 2.4?  Yep, I did.  I thought it would get to 900 but not pass TFA.  But when you satisfy that much upfront demand and when people are seeing your film 3 times in three days, you really have nowhere to go but down.  So the film is not having poor wom and the legs are bad in a purely literal sense, but if you dig a little deeper and dream a little bigger darling, you'll see that the film is behaving perhaps in the only way it possibly could. 

Prepare to post this in every weekend. I am sure we will debate endgame legs for another 2 months.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I’m pretty confident that Endgame will crawl the way to the top and become the highest film of all time but other than that.... thank you.

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

This. Good night, y’all.