sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

31 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Actually, an older gentleman came in to work today to watch endgame. He said he had never seen another superhero film in his life but a friend of his gave this a glowing review. I spent a minute or so filling him in on the MCU lol and he practically went in blind. 

Loved it. 

Here @Barnack

RashSoftAmericanshorthair-small.gif

uY_cqRB8Kzy2_YnZsQW-1cz4ajdM90EQRBNXBjFY

Kudos for that, @DAJK. You are awesome, I’m honestly not sure if I’d have the patience, what a nice thing to do.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heroicpiglet said:

3 hour long is what hurt Endgame the most. People will be reductant to see it on weekdays and in some cases, weekend. I very much want to see it one or 2 more times but cant spare the time. Another disadvantage is the need to see the 21 films before it (its a disadvantage people, not an advantage) to completely understand the film.

Yea, II'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with this.  Titanic proved that if an audience loves a three hour movie, they will see it over and over and over again.  I'm not comparing their runs to one another but your notion that the three hour run time is hurting it is imo, poppcock.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I expect that either Asgard 3 will say it's a typo or Asgard 1 will drop by with a lower number.     

However, if that's correct then there is a somewhat plausible theory to be had about the runtime shifting FSS demand into the true weekend days.

27 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

About Endgame, the movie is basically making as much money as it could. There's a certain amount of demand and the only difference is one's path to reach it. If it is meant to make 800M or 825M or 850M, it will make it.

Normally i would prefer legs over insane OW. However in today's competitive environment, maybe it's best for megablockbusters to perform like Endgame, since it's making money so fast that competition won't be a big pain in the ass. 

I said something similar in another thread, and forgot to add that this is the best case for Disney, as "great legs" for "Endgame" *may possibly* have cut into how (not) well "Aladdin" will do and possibly for "Toy Story 4" as well.

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

I agree except in the context that it's doing well. It's doing ok enough to break even and make a tiny profit. Better than Alita but not by that much. Shazam conversely will make a lot more with a WW lower gross.

Maybe WB ended up being way too over confident and didn't pay attention to historical data.  Sinking 150 mill into this film was kind of bananas.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tawasal said:

So what IW also jumped 75% this weekend but never did over that amount again in it's run (correct me if I am wrong). Even BP which had one of the best Saturday jumps among the MCU never did more than 84%-85%.  

90+% would still be more likely than 48%. It has had a higher saturday bump than Infinity War for every weekend (except its first) which makes sense because of the 3hr runtime. Obviously 90+% is ridiculous, but under 60% is even more far fetched.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

That's a bingo!  Part of the problem is that people here mistake their expectations for reality.  When in fact, they are nothing close to each other.  Just because many here predicted Pikachu to do ungodly numbers, doesn't mean there was anything remotely realistic about those predictions.  

Now, when you look at it from a more realistic expectation based on the history of video games at the movies, and you realize that Pikachu is outperforming every other video game adaptation in film history.  It's already the highest opening weekend of any VG film and it is well on it's way to becoming the highest grossing film of all time domestically and probably should end up as the second highest grossing VG movie WW after Rampage.  So when you use real data and real comparisons, and not the ramblings of fanatical loonies espousing all kinds of unattainable and unrealistic numbers, you'll see that Pikachu is doing quite well!

Yeah, context and wide angle view analysis of numbers matters, as you perfectly demonstrate with Detective Pikachu and and to a large degree Edgame. 

• Like 1

Three hours (with getting to the theater, parking, getting in, getting snacks, previews, then getting home), it’s like a 4.5 hour commitment for me, so that does limit how many times we can go.  School nights are out.  We did see it again today in a surprisingly full IMAX.  Storm blew the power out and delayed the start, but I’m glad we got to see it again.  I’d like one more viewing, but again, the time commitment just makes it a bit tricky.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

People clearly aren't allowed to have their own opinion on this Endgame legs/drops thing. Whatever.

I think everyone is allowed to have an opinion and express it.  I just think there is one particular way for me to look at it, and another way which I don't happen to agree with.  

• Like 3

Those JW3 numbers are happiness. I remember I was so upset when john wick 1 only made like 40 million in the box office. Good to see this one is opening near ~60 million OW. I also don't like how people are only go to the theaters to watch known characters and proven franchises. This whole franchise universe world creation is going to be the death of box office. 

• Like 3

Just now, Skwunk said:

90+% would still be more likely than 48%. It has had a higher saturday bump than Infinity War for every weekend (except its first) which makes sense because of the 3hr runtime. Obviously 90+% is ridiculous, but under 60% is even more far fetched.

It's more likely because it has happened before with other MCU movies. But I haven't seen a single movie so far do 90% + jump on a Saturday. Now looking at the large openers of the MCU above 170m+ OW, the only movie to have made over 80% jump on Saturday is BP.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yea, II'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with this.  Titanic proved that if an audience loves a three hour movie, they will see it over and over and over again.  I'm not comparing their runs to one another but your notion that the three hour run time is hurting it is imo, poppcock.

Titanic had boobies though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 2

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe WB ended up being way too over confident and didn't pay attention to historical data.  Sinking 150 mill into this film was kind of bananas.

Agreed it was. Had they spent $100 million they probably get similar results and make a decent chunk of change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

It's more likely because it has happened before with other MCU movies. But I haven't seen a single movie so far do 90% + jump on a Saturday. Now looking at the large openers of the MCU above 170m+ OW, the only movie to have made over 80% jump on Saturday is BP.

I believe in Asgard 3, but I also find a 100% Sat bump to be suspect.  right now it is 6pm on the west coast.  So he is doing a lot of calculations and extrapolations.  I'll wait until it's later in the night.  An 80% bump?  Ok, sure...but close to 100%?  Not buying it right now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think everyone is allowed to have an opinion and express it.  I just think there is one particular way for me to look at it, and another way which I don't happen to agree with.  

Fair enough. Fair enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yup. The thing that's killing Pikachu right now is its budget. If they even brought it down by $25M, it would be different for it. 

• Like 2

Is there something special about this particular Saturday? Because it seems to have an average Friday and gigantic Saturday jump in many places.

China's Friday was unusually small, only to get corrected by a +110% Saturday (normally +100%). And in Vietnam, where i sensed something strange coming, Friday was a decrease from Thu (737M to 684M) as it lost a huge amount of showings. Then Saturday was massive, at 1.166B, +70%. Never seen a Sat jump more than 50%, mostly closer to 40%.

• Like 2