sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

Just now, baumer said:

I believe in Asgard 3, but I also find a 100% Sat bump to be suspect.  right now it is 6pm on the west coast.  So he is doing a lot of calculations and extrapolations.  I'll wait until it's later in the night.  An 80% bump?  Ok, sure...but close to 100%?  Not buying it right now.

I am not saying he is wrong or it can't do that, but it's very unlike the previous movies that have come before it in the MCU. They are well known for their strong Saturdays, but this is the territory of family animation Saturday jump.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yea, II'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with this.  Titanic proved that if an audience loves a three hour movie, they will see it over and over and over again.  I'm not comparing their runs to one another but your notion that the three hour run time is hurting it is imo, poppcock.

Titanic was a long time ago. Before social media and peer pressure to watch movies was a thing lol. Now we have a percentage of population that don't watch movies for the love of it. That's because that's whats trending and they want to be part of it. Today's audiences don't keep re-watching movies in the theater they will just wait for it to come to netflix to watch it again if they liked it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

People clearly aren't allowed to have their own opinion on this Endgame legs/drops thing. Whatever.

Haha, the extreme reactions I see are actually very entertaining, so much wasted energy from some folks.

Just now, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Is there something special about this particular Saturday? Because it seems to have an average Friday and gigantic Saturday jump in many places.

This is what makes the Saturday jump weird to me. It didn't do that much on Friday to prove or foreshadow that it was going to have such a huge jump. 

1 minute ago, harsh3090416 said:

Titanic was a long time ago. Before social media and peer pressure to watch movies was a thing lol. Now we have a percentage of population that don't watch movies for the love of it. That's because that's whats trending and they want to be part of it. Today's audiences don't keep re-watching movies in the theater they will just wait for it to come to netflix to watch it again if they liked it. 

I will agree with this. Also, this:

7 minutes ago, harsh3090416 said:

Those JW3 numbers are happiness. I remember I was so upset when john wick 1 only made like 40 million in the box office. Good to see this one is opening near ~60 million OW. I also don't like how people are only go to the theaters to watch known characters and proven franchises. This whole franchise universe world creation is going to be the death of box office. 

Is the reason why people are not seeing how good late summer legs for Endgame will end up being. 

We really need a 300m+ opener soonish (before getting there is a matter of inflation instead of rush) to really say how EG is doing. Right now, the only datapoints we have for an opener of that magnitude are the datapoints that EG sets.

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

This is what makes the Saturday jump weird to me. It didn't do that much on Friday to prove or foreshadow that it was going to have such a huge jump. 

its grumpy cat dying. People are going to theaters to deal with the death and bring back some of the lost happiness. 

Just now, Orestes said:

We really need a 300m+ opener soonish (before getting there is a matter of inflation instead of rush) to really say how EG is doing. Right now, the only datapoints we have for an opener of that magnitude are the datapoints that EG sets.

Can't even fathom that. Avatar 2 will be delayed till 2024 (already 6 years, what's 3 more?) And Star Wars has to deal with the plethora of issues with the last film affecting interest.

Not only does it seem like 350+ will last a long time I wonder how long for 300+?

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I shouldn't have done that.

No sweat Charlie we appreciate the early info. It's not your fault it's not meeting early forecast the last couple weeks. I would be thrilled with 13.25 and anything else above is just crazy.

Edited by cdsacken

Warner bros only covered the marketing cost for detective Pikachu 

movie was already done shooting legendary pictures moved from universal pictures to Warner bros 

so legendary pictures covering the cost and they always do big budgets 

Titantic was before Twitter. Attention span of Americans is down at least 50% since that alone. Smart phones didn't exist, couldn't even get internet on your phone. No Netflix streaming and almost no one even had the DVD plan. 

What titantic did is literally like comparing 1930s baseball/football players to now.

• Like 4