sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

Alright, my Rocketman report. 

I went to the 7:05pm show. Sold Out. The 7pm also sold out. 

I'm 35 years old, and was BY FAR the youngest person in that theatre!

So regardless how this does opening weekend, it's gonna have legs with the older crowds. 

The film itself - it seems reminiscent of Bohemian Rhapsody, but then at the same time it was just so different. 

It delves a lot deeper into the dark side. It also doesn't have the 20 minute Live Aid ending to end with that feel good ending. Not that it's a depressing ending. I'm just going to have to let it sit for a while. 

One thing is certain though. Taron Eagerton is phenomenal, through and through. 

The film stumbles through his childhood, but once Taron is there it comes alive. Quite impressed with him in this. 

I could see this opening to 35-40 million and legging it out to 150 million. 

Not sure it will get Oscar attention being so far from the season, but I wouldn't be surprised if Taron still got some love. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Cleary they’re idiots for spending that much money on a movie based on the biggest media franchise in the world.  Especially when said movie is going to break even in the long run.  Definitely one of the most unreasonable budgets for a Hollywood movie ever

Legendary pictures is doing amazing with how Jurassic world blew up. 

They will Be fine 

Godzilla will hopefully be big for it 

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was the worst movie of last year so if you liked that then you'll probably like this.  Completely fell flat for me though

Lmao you have eclectic tastes. To each their own, sorry you don't like it :(

Is Pikachu the most over predicted film in the history of our site?

Here's the summer game predictions for Pika Pika:

Chas:  310

Movieman:  412

Panda:  600

Mike Hunt:  202.5

Glassfairy:  375

Simionski:  275

Panamovie:  322

Cooleric:  300

Kalo:  325

JJ-8:  314.7

WrathofHan:  330

Mr. Pink:  315

Empire:  286

Ms. LadyHawk:  302

Captainwondyful:  333.33

Sheikh:  285

Fancyarcher:  304

Kayu:  340

Nanner:  300

Cmaster:  275

BCF26:  440

BobDole:  190 (best summer game prediction)

Jake Gittes:  337

AndyLL:  400

ZeeSoh:  325

Infernus:  250

This would have been perhaps my best call of the summer.  I had it opening to 60 mill and finishing with a 2.7X for 162 million.  Don't worry, I'm not bragging because I would have fucked a lot of the other movies up big time.  Just saying that this film was massively over predicted by almost everyone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

This would have been perhaps my best call of the summer.  I had it opening to 60 mill and finishing with a 2.7X for 162 million.  Don't worry, I'm not bragging because I would have fucked a lot of the other movies up big time.  Just saying that this film was massively over predicted by almost everyone!

I wasn't here at the time but reminds me of HTTYD 2's overpredictions.

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Cleary they’re idiots for spending that much money on a movie based on the biggest media franchise in the world.  Especially when said movie is going to break even in the long run.  Definitely one of the most unreasonable budgets for a Hollywood movie ever

I agree.  And big deal if it's the biggest media franchise in the world.  People like playing their games, doesn't mean they are going to flock to the cinema to see the movie.  It's doing well, I've said that numerous times.  I'm just saying the budget is too high and historical data was there for them to see that the ceiling for the film was probably going to be less than 200 mill domestic.  

1 minute ago, baumer said:

but...but...trailer views. 

• Thanks 2

And I have recently been reading through the Jurassic World OW thread and I must say that movie was really underestimated and underpredicted even after it's friday numbers was said to be in the 80s, some people thought TDKR opening weekend was the best.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I agree.  And big deal if it's the biggest media franchise in the world.  People like playing their games, doesn't mean they are going to flock to the cinema to see the movie.  It's doing well, I've said that numerous times.  I'm just saying the budget is too high and historical data was there for them to see that the ceiling for the film was probably going to be less than 200 mill domestic.  

I think if they can reduce the budget to a more reasonable level, they should make another Pokemon film.