sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Most astounding figure to me will be when Wick’s weekend estimate has a higher per theater average than MI: Fallout. 

Think about that for a second. How hyped and amazing Fallout was. The sixth instalment of the premium action franchise in town - and Wick is pulling in the same kind of numbers.  

Is it though? Ghost Protocol was meant to be the end wasn't it? 

And fair play to Cruise and gang for pulling off quality, but it doesn't mean it was really anticipated.

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Most astounding figure to me will be when Wick’s weekend estimate has a higher per theater average than MI: Fallout. 

Think about that for a second. How hyped and amazing Fallout was. The sixth instalment of the premium action franchise in town - and Wick is pulling in the same kind of numbers.  

Domestically, if you look at most series they peak around 2 or 3.  MI in terms of admissions was at it's height domestically with 1 & 2, hit it's lowest with  3, re-corrected with 4 and kept along that same level with the last 3 being leggier than MI3 since it's adjusted o/w is $65m

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=missionimpossible.htm

PTA also goes down the more theaters a movie plays out.  Those extra 500 theaters for MI just bring the PTA down - especially since when it gets to over 3,000 (or less even with theaters having multiple screens) it usually means smaller, cheaper and usually less attended venues.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As we anticipate more estimates, just for the hell of it, VIDEO GAME MOVIE RANKINGZ:

1. Pokémon: Detective Pikachu
  2. Tomb Raider
  3. Mortal Kombat
  4. Ratchet & Clank
  5. Rampage
  6. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  7. The Angry Birds Movie
  8. Warcraft
  9. Need For Speed
  10. Silent Hill
  11. Everyfuckingthing else, because the movies above are the only ones that are anything resembling watchable, even if some of them are pretty bad

I guess Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time and Pokémon: The First Movie would be #11 and #12 respectively if I was being technical, but they are pure trash. Well, Pokémon does have the Mewtwo origin story, which is pretty cool, but that's just like 10 minutes out of a 100 minute feature (that weren't even in the theatrical cut, but for the purposes of this list, count as part of the movie anyways). Everything else is STOOPID and the movie sucks hard.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

As we anticipate more estimates, just for the hell of it, VIDEO GAME MOVIE RANKINGZ:

2. Tomb Raider
  3. Mortal Kombat
  4. Ratchet & Clank
  5. Rampage
  7. The Angry Birds Movie
  8. Warcraft
  9. Need For Speed
  10. Silent Hill
  11. Everyfuckingthing else, because the movies above are the only ones that are anything resembling watchable, even if some of them are pretty bad

I guess Pokémon: The Movie and Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time would be #11 and #12 respectively if I was being technical, but they are pure trash. Well, Pokémon does have the Mewtwo origin story, which is cool, but everything else is STOOPID and the movie sucks hard.

*Doesn't see Street Fighter on the list*

street fighter bison GIF

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

2. Tomb Raider
  3. Mortal Kombat
  4. Ratchet & Clank
  5. Rampage
  7. The Angry Birds Movie
  8. Warcraft
  9. Need For Speed
  10. Silent Hill

I guess Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time and Pokémon: The First Movie would be #11 and #12 respectively if I was being technical, but they are pure trash. Well, Pokémon does have the Mewtwo origin story, which is pretty cool, but that's just like 10 minutes out of a 100 minute feature (that weren't even in the theatrical cut, but for the purposes of this list, count as part of the movie anyways). Everything else is STOOPID and the movie sucks hard.

I thought Need For Speed was pretty decent. Could've ranked higher.

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

2. Tomb Raider
  3. Mortal Kombat
  4. Ratchet & Clank
  5. Rampage
  7. The Angry Birds Movie
  8. Warcraft
  9. Need For Speed
  10. Silent Hill

Detective Pikachu, Laura Croft: Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider, Rampage and Mortal Kombat are films I enjoyed and would watch again (or have watched again)  

Can't comment on anything else as I either didn't watch them or they were so bad that I've chosen to forget them  :ph34r:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, youcantseemyname said:

I thought Need For Speed was pretty decent. Could've ranked higher.

Need For Speed had Michael Keaton and a few neat racing scenes (and I guess it is impressive that it was all done with practical effects and real stuntsmen crashing real cars), but the plot was crap, the characters were crap and the third act was way too over-the-top and crap. And yeah, I know the games are about outrunning the police, but even in the games, you're not out to kill the police like they did here. There's still a sense of morality in the NFS games, that's just thrown out the window in the movie. I guess it was somewhat entertaining (and, as I mentioned, kinda watchable), but it still more bad than good.

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Detective Pikachu, Laura Croft: Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider, Rampage and Mortal Kombat are films I enjoyed and would watch again (or have watched again)  

Can't comment on anything else as I either didn't watch them or they were so bad that I've chosen to forget them  :ph34r:

It's "Lara", not "Laura" :ph34r:

Jokes asides, yeah, the ones you mention are all pretty watchable. I know none of them is exactly a work of art, but I find that there are enough redeeming qualities that at least some of them (Detective Pikachu through Lara Croft) qualify as at least passable. And the others below LC:TR are kinda sucky, but again, with a few redeeming qualities that make them somewhat endurable. The rest (that I have seen) is all trash that belongs in the garbage bin.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Mortal Kombat is funny bad. Especially the second one. Good to laugh at. 

Rampage is just dull, one of the worst films of last year. Chronic. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maximum Avery said:

wow.... O.O wooooow.... i feel like i am conversing with bible writer... '78!!?!! Bless you!!:) all i am seeing now is florian von donnersmarck's lives of others xD TTVOMJ

Only to be sure, I am not 78, I started in 1978 with looking into BO in connection with the release of Star Wars.

I guess I miss something, as I don't get that, probably bcs I have not seen the movie yet.

I know roughly about what it is, but not more than is to read up at the German Wiki entry.

Edited by terrestrial