sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

5 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Not that many people were complaining about Shazam's release date prior to release. The low key marketing had more to do with its modest performance more than anything IMO. 

I was saying that for weeks,  WB didn't market it well at all.   It's going to gain more of a following during it's digital release probably but they dropped the ball with the theater run. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It’s actually ok even just for a usual summer blockbuster never mind genre 

Should end with legs of 2.6. I guess for a 54 opener that's ok. Not sure what the average is for usual mid size openers.

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Still the best movie of the year and it’s not even close

Not sure I think it's the best but it's certainly the most compelling blockbuster this year by a long way. Best directed by a long way too.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'm not sure what my favourite movie of the year is so far. i feel like an asshole but nothing's jumped out to me as great yet.

you clearly haven't seen Uglydolls

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Still the best movie of the year and it’s not even close

I just threw up in my mouth and almost choked. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

i really haven't any indie flicks this year only the big studio stuff so that's probably it. i wanted to see high life last week but the local arthouse was doing that weird thing where they were only doing 10am or 9pm shows. mid-afternoon is coolio's movie time. so no dice.

John Wick 3's OW is fantastic. This is a major win for a lot of things, and it's really good to see an action franchise blossom before our eyes. I'll be seeing it soon.

Regarding A Dog's Journey; I noticed that the film managed to have a fresh Rotten Tomatoes score for a week or two; it unfortunately dropped, which is a shame, but it's still encouraging for filmmakers of all kinds. Brilliance can come from anywhere, as it's come from family films like Babe and Paddington. But the underperformance doesn't surprise me because there's only so much of the same kind of movie that audiences are willing to sit through in a given year. After A Dog's Way Home came out virtually four months ago, this is the second of three 2019 films told from the point of view of a dog. And yet, even though there csn be viable arguments to be made about A Dog's Journey handling the film medium much better than the one from January, it's still sufferring all the same. I really hope that Fox's The Art of Racing in the Rain (August 9th) is able to fare better; I'm reading the book now, and the book is pretty good.

But this weekend gives understanding as to why studios want to avoid opening on the same weekend as the guaranteed blockbusters for the most part. John Wick has reached enviable pop culture status, and there's only so much that the small films can do to try and stand out when a blockbuster is taking a lot of the attention away.

The Souvenir's OW is double that of Lean On Pete, but it's about $20,000 shy of First Reformed and A Ghost Story. It will surely still gross over a million, but it looks like it's going to play like a mid-tier A24 film--not an A-tier like Lady Bird. Of course, this doesn't feel surprising, at least not to me.

The Biggest Little Farm and The White Crow both take solid steps forward. The White Crow seems to be able to gross over $1M for its total, which makes me happy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

For me, (without having seen Wick, so that cant count), Godzilla: KotM is far and away the best movie of the year.

Just wait until Playmobile: The Movie from STX Entertainment wins Best Picture in a landslide

• Like 1