sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

TPM had some great elements to it, namely the pod racing segment and the 2 vs. 1 duel at the end. While not an excellent movie, it is certainly far from a horrible one. 

Yeah Twilight and TPM get a lot of unwarranted criticism.  None of them are horrible, but hey it's the way of the world especially with online to either love or hate stuff.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

To be honest I don’t even have words that can express my horror about the few twilight films that my, then, girlfriend dragged me to watch at the theater.

and yet it's amazing isn't it, you can hate something and I can love something and yet we can still get along. What a novel concept isn't it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

I honestly feel like people hate on the Twilight movies cause it's the cool thing to do. Now I don't think they're master pieces or anything but I ended up watching all of them within the past year and I was expecting some dumpster fire films based on the rep they have but they were actually fairly decent. 

No people hate them because they have laughable “acting” (if you can even call it that), present the most sissy version ever of horror icons like vampires and werewolves and have a hilarious love story.  It is like taking the absolutely worst elements of soap operas and applying them on fantasy/“horror” films. There’s nothing cool or uncool about hating a franchise that has been dead and buried for many years.

I never understood why people won't let others like what they like. Like in baumer's case, who cares that he likes something most people don't? Liking something is a positive thing! And god knows we're in dire need of positivity these days.

I guess there's a touch of jealousy behind it. "If I couldn't like this, then how could someone else?" etc  -- We envy the good feeling those people get from liking something we're not.

There's also the "film snob" factor. "Look how refined my tastes are compared to ______"

And finally, these days there's this weird Search for Consensus pretty much everywhere on the Internet. 

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

The Phantom Menace is fine, Attack of the Clones is the prequel that I can’t stand

I won't go that far, but I do agree that Clones is the "worst" of the prequels.

Just now, 75Live said:

Yeah Twilight and TPM get a lot of unwarranted criticism.  None of them are horrible, but hey it's the way of the world especially with online to either love or hate stuff.

It feels like someone said "hey these movies suck!" and suddenly that's the opinion everyone went with despite the fact that for example The Twilight films kept increasing at the box office world wide and more or less stayed the same domestically……so people "hated" them and thought they "sucked" and yet still went out and watched the next movie in the series. 

No I am not equating box office with quality exactly BUT typically when a movie in a series sucks or isn't well liked, the following movies suffer. That didn't happen with the Twilight films. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

The Phantom Menace is fine, Attack of the Clones is the prequel that I can’t stand

attack of the clones has the single greatest stand up and cheer moments I've ever witnessed at a movie theater. When Yoda first draws his lightsaber against count Dooku I thought my head was going to explode. The theater literally erupted in a cacophony of screams and hollers kind of like you are at a Nascar event with a bunch of drunken rednecks.

I love every Star Wars movie with the exception of The Last Jedi. And I'm not talking about solo and rogue one. I'm just talking about the main saga.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

No people hate them because they have laughable “acting” (if you can even call it that), present the most sissy version ever of horror icons like vampires and werewolves and have a hilarious love story.  It is like taking the absolutely worst elements of soap operas and applying them on fantasy/“horror” films. There’s nothing cool or uncool about hating a franchise that has been dead and buried for many years.

And yet people kept going out to watch them because? Like I said in my previous post, a horrible movie that people hate will see the effects at the box office. If you hated the first 3 twilight movies for example, why go out and watch the next ones? Just a thought of course. 

I respect your opinion and having watched the films, see where you are coming from. Just a fascinating franchise though imo in that regard. That they had such a bad rep and yet their box office didn't seem to have an impact. 

Edited by Nova

I can't help but preach to the Phantom Menace + Attack Of The Clones sucking choir (Revenge Of The Sith is fine, I guess).... however, good for those who still unapologetically love the prequels (or any movie, really). Their taste might suck, but I still applaud them :ph34r:

56 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Armageddon is Michael Bay at his best. 

its so over the top but so satisfying. 

Armageddon is Michael Bay at his dumbest. That movie is too over the top. I'll give you that the last 10 minutes + DONTWANNACLOSEMAHEYES are very memorable and all and almost make up for the rest of the film being a fail horn experience, but that movie is beyond stupid. And not even like Transformers 1 where at least the stupid is made up for in good characters, (some) good humor and great action (I mean, I guess Armageddon does have good action, but TF1 still beats it in that department). Is it entertaining and does it have a really good sense of urgency? Yeah, sure. But by God, the stupidity in it is insufferable.

As far as 1998 asteroid movies, Deep Impact is better. Less memorable, but overall better. And as far as disaster movies from the 90's, Independence Day is a gazillion times better. That's actually a good movie.... the only good movie Roland Emmerich will ever hope to direct (although I have not seen Stargate, which people also seem to like).

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Just now, baumer said:

and yet it's amazing isn't it, you can hate something and I can love something and yet we can still get along. What a novel concept isn't it.

We can even exchange words, I don’t mind because I know you won’t use personal insults (and I mean true personal insults not what some people here take as personal insults) and it will be a fun time arguing. I used to have some people on ignore, now I have un-ignored everyone (but a racist that I won’t say his name) because I want to read the forum in all of its glory.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, baumer said:

The story with me in Twilight goes like this:

In the summer of 2009 after I had seen the original Twilight and thought it was fine but nothing great, I picked up the first book and within about 25 pages I was completely hooked. That summer I spent two weeks at my buddy's cottage and I read the first three books in those two weeks while sipping on beer and getting a suntan in a boat.

I finished the last two books before New Moon came out and that was it for me I was completely enamored with the mythology that Stephanie Meyers created. I loved the volturi. I loved that there was a ruling class of vampires and I love that she gave each vampire their own special power. I know it's not a story that appeals to a lot of guys but I just got it, I just understood it.

I thought new moon was much better than Twilight. I thought eclipse was one of the best movies of 2010. I thought the first part of breaking Dawn was a bit too much filler but breaking Dawn Part 2, especially the way they did Alice's vision and the subsequent fight at the end that really didn't take place at all, to be quite brilliant.

I will stand up for Twilight probably until the day I die. Like I said I don't expect anybody else to understand it but I just adored the books and the movies.

Ok....deflector shields are up. Fire away lol.

I am a p***y... long time ago i was a man...an alpha as people like to say it... then harry potter happened and made more money than fotr... i "censored" that movie and did not understand why it made more money than peter jackson's surprising epic(few years before i ridiculed a friend who used gandalf and mithrandir while talking about _computors_*yuck*)... a film magazine showed a picture of a bearded man on slopes of a snowy mountain... while picture next to it was a blonde savage man lustfuly holding a perfect piece of jewelry..i was hooked and i felt a storm coming... sheer magnitude of it never again replicated(not even with TT and ROtK)... cate's voice at the beginning, a woman(!!?):o...no less... breaking possibilities of established... next year chicago beat the two towers at the oscars(not that it had a chance, but it irked me so i "censored" it as well)... sorry for the delay, but here is where i finaly come to my point... one clumsy evening i ended up watching harry potter and the chamber of secrets(this one wasn't banned since it made less than the two towers)... and ended up loving it... i immediately watched sorcerers stone and chicago.. fell in love with both and swore i will never judge a movie before or based on any prejudice... it transcended movies and now i dont judge anything before mixing as much variables, knowledge and compassion even tho i can see some red flags and am not blind to distractions... why did i say i am a p***y? Because now i cant hate a movie hahaha... i mean i have personal disappointments based on my prerelease expectations(matrixes, potc sequels, prometheus, man of steel, pacific rim, interstellar etc...) , but in a discourse where i cannot explain every aspect of my opinion because the window doesnt allow it(public chat is a merciless place to get your whole point across), i will rather keep my mouth shut and not inspire anything that someone might missinterpret and finalize... i think i am OCD when it comes to my own rep and truth... if we were in a room with alcohol and nice lounge atmosphere i would GLADLY destroy/dissect EVERYTHING even with people like ironjimbo because they would see those true alphas NEVER do wrong... and erosion of negativity is so powerful change is imminent:) so i give advice everyone here: try to talk about data and better things than what you hate.. try talking about the things you like and and the ones you love(things you dislike will surface anyway, but hopefuly in a manner in which good things have already been weighed and made the subject easier to crunch)... THEN the critical mass of positive attitudes raises the whole level of discourse to another plane even subconciously... serotonine/dopamine etc... have a nice evening data lovers!:) TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

It feels like someone said "hey these movies suck!" and suddenly that's the opinion everyone went with despite the fact that for example The Twilight films kept increasing at the box office world wide and more or less stayed the same domestically……so people "hated" them and thought they "sucked" and yet still went out and watched the next movie in the series. 

No I am not equating box office with quality exactly BUT typically when a movie in a series sucks or isn't well liked, the following movies suffer. That didn't happen with the Twilight films. 

Yes many young girls liked the twilight films.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

attack of the clones has the single greatest stand up and cheer moments I've ever witnessed at a movie theater. When Yoda first draws his lightsaber against count Dooku I thought my head was going to explode. The theater literally erupted in a cacophony of screams and hollers kind of like you are at a Nascar event with a bunch of drunken rednecks.

I love every Star Wars movie with the exception of The Last Jedi. And I'm not talking about solo and rogue one. I'm just talking about the main saga.

I agree. I thought all of the prequels were better than The Last Jedi. I love Star Wars films too. Revenge of the Sith gets a lot of flack, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 75Live said:

Frankly, many especially fanboys dismiss Twilight just because it is young-adult romance chick flick, which so happen many movie-buff are male or simply fanboys, which more often than not disregard romance genre simply because it is not cool to like them. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

yeah same experience but I still have it #8 out of 8 of the main movies so far.  Doesn't meant I don't  like AOTC, I like all the Star Wars movies :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I agree. I thought all of the prequels were better than The Last Jedi. I love Star Wars films too. Revenge of the Sith gets a lot of flack, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. 

Revenge of the Sith is a super flawed movie but it at least has some decent fan service and keeps you entertained.

Add in to the fact the movie inspired a billion memes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

The story with me in Twilight goes like this:

In the summer of 2009 after I had seen the original Twilight and thought it was fine but nothing great, I picked up the first book and within about 25 pages I was completely hooked. That summer I spent two weeks at my buddy's cottage and I read the first three books in those two weeks while sipping on beer and getting a suntan in a boat.

I finished the last two books before New Moon came out and that was it for me I was completely enamored with the mythology that Stephanie Meyers created. I loved the volturi. I loved that there was a ruling class of vampires and I love that she gave each vampire their own special power. I know it's not a story that appeals to a lot of guys but I just got it, I just understood it.

I thought new moon was much better than Twilight. I thought eclipse was one of the best movies of 2010. I thought the first part of breaking Dawn was a bit too much filler but breaking Dawn Part 2, especially the way they did Alice's vision and the subsequent fight at the end that really didn't take place at all, to be quite brilliant.

I will stand up for Twilight probably until the day I die. Like I said I don't expect anybody else to understand it but I just adored the books and the movies.

Ok....deflector shields are up. Fire away lol.

Imo I liked the books fine. Movies felt like vampires CW series but much worse.

Felt like a romance novel but really cheezy built for teenagers.

(Like vampire diaries). I still liked it.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1