sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think Keanu would agree with you.

Having said that, Keanu Reeves absolutely kills it as John Wick and he's worked really really hard to be a believable badass. Maybe another actor or someone who is not as devoted to the craft wouldn't make John Wick as memorable as he is.

Guess I just wish Stahekski was getting a little more love on the forums. What directors like him and Leitch have done recently for DOM actioners is wonderful. Can't what to see what Leitch has up his sleeve in Hobbs & Shaw.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not any random star but the director and his vision is far more compelling and what truly separates the Wick flicks. Especially the director's background in stunt work. Keanu does a great job. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't his fault Man of Tai Chi or 47 Ronin didn't work for most and failed to make mint. But, he brought similar skills and chops to those roles too.

Shouldn't have said what I did because it'll rile folks. Just think in this case the director is far more responsible for this series success. Keanu is a great Wick though.

Nah, you didn't rile me at all.  What you said was perfectly legitimate, and you didn't say or imply that Keanu wasn't great in the role.  I think we differ a bit on how the credit for the movies' success should be doled out, but there's no question that the director has a consistent, compelling vision, and is getting the most out of Keanu and the other actors.  We're probably splitting hairs.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think Keanu would agree with you.

Having said that, Keanu Reeves absolutely kills it as John Wick and he's worked really really hard to be a believable badass. Maybe another actor or someone who is not as devoted to the craft wouldn't make John Wick as memorable as he is.

Part of me wonders if he isn't channeling all the tragedy hes faced in life into wick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

As in if the director of 47 Ronin did Wick 4 or something along those lines, I'd lose almost all interest. Keanu seems like a great guy but he's not what makes these movies. Stahelski is the real MVP. Not sure that's even debatable. His background in stunt and choreography is what separates them. It's why folks are just as bonkers for Halle and her pups as they are Wick.

Depends though. I don't look for directors Denzel Washington films. I like basically every film he's done. Versus Tom Hanks who I love has several stinkers. That said if a Tom Hanks film looks to be good, typically it's awesome.

9 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Part of me wonders if he isn't channeling all the tragedy hes faced in life into wick.

Absolutely. He faced so much tragedy in a short period of time I imagine the character personally resonates with him.

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Director for me.

often for me too, see that professions is part of the examples I gave

57 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

As in if the director of 47 Ronin did Wick 4 or something along those lines, I'd lose almost all interest. Keanu seems like a great guy but he's not what makes these movies. Stahelski is the real MVP. Not sure that's even debatable. His background in stunt and choreography is what separates them. It's why folks are just as bonkers for Halle and her pups as they are Wick.

That I do not agree to the degree / that ~ 100% formulating... like I understand the wording (might be a wrong impression, as I am not a native English speaker)

42 minutes ago, andrewgr said:

I don't agree with this.  Keanu put in a tremendous amount of effort learning martial arts and gunplay for this part, a level of effort beyond what I think most established stars would have been willing to put in.  As a result, I think his performance is exceptionally good in the action sequences, which make up a large amount of screentime.

Also, I think Keanu's relatively low-affect bearing and facial expressions lend the character a certain amount of gravitas and implaccability that I do not think many other actors would have tried for.  When you look at the amount of emoting done by, say, the actors in the Fast & Furious franchise and imagine John Wick being played that way, it's an entirely different movie, and one which I would find much less compelling.

I'm not going to claim that Keanu is the only person that could play this role, but I think you're being too skimpy on the credit he deserves.  He's made this role his own, and I don't think that it's a foregone conclusion that any random action star would have made this franchise the success that it is.

That I agree to too

I think both professions have their parts in the result.

I can fully believe the behind the scene people being more important than even usual in this case, but that does not exclude the 'faces' of the movie, that usually get more of the recognition.

In the end if actors/actresses do not deliver, the remaining team has no chance to deliver something worthwhile, or?

Btw, I haven't seen any of the JW movies, but the trailer/actor mix got me curious (seen before Captain Marvel). Haven't seen the Matrix movies neither. Yet. Bought in the past that collector box, no special reason to have not watched it yet, more a time thing (binge watcher....).

I feel like Reeve work can be easy to get underestimated, in the Matrix for example is changed is body quite often direct the shoot (you have buff matrix, our world character and just get unplugged from the matrix thin in the "real" world version), even if acting is for a big part just being photographed that part is often not too considered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ACSlater said:

he more or less admitted as much in a guardian profile from last week. said grief attracted him to the role.

Since JW4 is happening, and the director of the movie started off as Keanu's stunt double in the Matrix trilogy, I need him to title the 4th movie John Wick: Revolution! Hire Carrie-Ann Moss, and basically give us the proper ending to Matrix series that we deserve!😤😂😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

Since JW4 is happening, and the director of the movie started off as Keanu's stunt double in the Matrix trilogy, I need him to title the 4th movie John Wick: Revolution! Hire Carrie-Ann Moss, and basically give us the proper ending to Matrix series that we deserve!😤😂😂

I've already convinced myself that the hyper reality of Wick is just a counterfeit reality in the Matrix to be revealed in John Wick 4 or 5 when an "architect" reveals to John that he's the 666th iteration of Wick in this particular reality. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Astonished 1