antovolk

John Wick: Chapter 4 | March 24, 2023 | RIP Lance Reddick

MCU notwithstanding, have any sequels filmed back to back ever been good?

I think the John Wick films have only ever been ok so there's no great height to fall from, but it strikes me that these back to back filming schedules rarely result in good movies.

Edited by Hatebox

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Back to the Future II and III.  Not as good as the original, but still good.

Yeah, they're fair shouts. Not without their issues but they're at least different enough from each other that they don't feel like one movie cut in half.

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I think the John Wick films have only ever been ok so there's no great height to fall from, but it strikes me that these back to back filming schedules rarely result in good movies.

Does LOTR not count? It's technically three movies back to back, but still.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Personally I’m a big fan of Matrix: Reloaded (granted, not so much Revolutions but at least it went big and tried to do something).

POTC: Dead Man’s Chest and POTC: At World’s End have their supporters too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Does LOTR not count? It's technically three movies back to back, but still.

I personally wouldn't count those because filming a single trilogy from the get-go is so different to a first movie exploding and the studio doubling down on that success after the fact. But I suppose they would be a good example of a single filming schedule at least not compromising coherent storytelling.

Edited by Hatebox

11 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Many will be not fully what you have in mind, like Kill bill 1-2, was a single movie latter on cut in 2 I think after the final cut was getting over 4 hours.

Here a list from the superman blockbuster era:

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2021/08/hunger-games-prequel-ballad-songbirds-snakes-movie-production-start-in-first-half-of-2022-1234810116/

The fourth John Wick film started shooting in June, Drake said. Conversations are ongoing about a release date, but that element remains TBD, he added.

22 hours ago, Eric Quinn said:

I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but one change I could see happen is WB moves Matrix 4 to the John Wick 4 spot.  I don't think his is going to make the date and will move to the fall.  

25 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but one change I could see happen is WB moves Matrix 4 to the John Wick 4 spot.  I don't think his is going to make the date and will move to the fall.  

Well Wick's current spot is also the same date as Mission: Impossible 7, so that might not happen