antovolk

John Wick: Chapter 4 | March 24, 2023 | RIP Lance Reddick

10 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The market has done the talking as far as Gibson's movie career's concerned. I'm actually surprised anyone still has enough faith in him to carry a presumably still quite expensive TV show. Maybe they got him cheap.

I'm assuming the streaming views on his films must be strong and there's audience overlap. He's either doing extremely limited releases (Dragged Across Concrete which was mostly VOD anyway) or direct to video fare now so it's hard to gauge it from a box office perspective.

Mel's "name" gets notoriety because he's Mel and he was the first casting announced out of the gate for this event series -- and they probably did it that way on purpose -- get through the storm for a few days, and it will blow over (or so they hope).  Within 24 hours, the rest of the main cast was announced, which is populated by some decently diverse faces -- but I don't see anyone posting those faces here!  They clearly rolled the dice and considered that the investment was worth it for them overall.  This is a TV series spin-off set in the past, and Gibson is not the lead, so no, Gibson is not coming to ruin your John Wick big-screen franchise, no worries...

Gibson's Directing Oscar nom doesn't seem to have done him any favors in terms of getting more directing gigs, which proves he is still considered "toxic" to many in Hollywood beside the older, white elite.  Certain investors are still willing to bankrole projects with him in a lead or supporting role, but yes, these are largely "indie"/international investment.  He's pulling an Orson Welles, at this point, attempting to work his way back up/in as much as possible so he can get Christ II: The Revenge funded, or something similar (which I have no interest in seeing...but let's not go down that well).  

The history of Hollywood and any other industry is of course littered with plenty of bad men who have acted the same way (I'm interested to see what Chazelle does with early Hollywood in BABYLON.)...but we just hear about Mel more because he's Mel...he was an A-list star and award-winning Director.  That doesn't make it any better, but it is interesting how even the mention of Gibson on social media (or in this forum) continues to conjure contentious conversation.  Talking purely on-screen, I thought Mel was particularly good in BLOOD FATHER, actually...that could have been what got him this job...or perhaps the cynical Christmas comedy.  😂

But this is all gloriously off-topic, of course... forgive me.  Back to JOHN WICK 4!!  Because I don't think this will affect the WICK box office at all...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

Mel's said and done some gnarly stuff.  I don't dismiss that.  Every time I watch something with him, I think about that.  Plenty of people won't work with him anymore because of all this.  Entirely understandable.  But I imagine the industry/executive/water cooler conversation (yes, probably mostly still men) around Mel goes something like this: "He's crazzzzy.  ...But he's still great on screen."  I'm convinced the industry still keeps Mel around on a tether just to give them a little spark in the otherwise bubblegum boring world of superhero-franchises.  And he has been mostly banished from A-list Hollywood.  This is the highest-profile gig he's had in years -- and even this is only for Lionsgate/Starz...a relative B-lister in Hollywood terms.  WICK is by far the greatest/most successful thing they have right now, other than Outlander...and that's nearing a close.  

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 4:46 PM, Eric Atreides said:

Seeing people here championing an abusive, anti-Semitic fuckwad getting work, to the point they're mocking folks who have a soul and don't want an abusive, anti-Semitic fuckwad getting work is honest to God one of the most depressing things I've seen in this forum in a long, long time.

Not depressing at all, you are thinking too highly of yourself, people champion his work, not his character, because he's a good actor/director. And most people who complain about him are random twitter lunatics, his second ex-wife and one controversial screenwriter way past his glory days, a lot of people who actually know him personally or worked with him had nothing, but good words about him despite awful shit he said in the past, even his first wife, so the guy's personal life is not yours or mine business, I don't know him, you don't know him. If he's done something criminal, he would've been in jail. There were no new controversies with him since those days, so the guy might conquered his demons. You can just ignore his stuff, you lose absolutely nothing if the guy gets work or not.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

54 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

Delayed

I'm sure the folks at Paramount, who had Top Gun: Maverick slated for the same date of May 27th, 2022, are probably dancing in the streets at this news.

But with the filmmakers focusing on making Chapter 4 better, I think good things will come out of this delay. It's disappointing but what can be done 🤷‍♂️.

Edited by SLAM!

2 hours ago, SLAM! said:

I'm sure the folks at Paramount, who had Top Gun: Maverick slated for the same date of May 27th, 2022, are probably dancing in the streets at this news.

I think it was expected John Wick would move. I was not expecting it to 2023

Edited by Maggie

2 hours ago, SLAM! said:

But with the filmmakers focusing on making Chapter 4 better, I think good things will come out of this delay. It's disappointing but what can be done 🤷‍♂️.

?  This has no context.  There's been not one hair of a rumor that this production/assemblage had any "issues," am I right?  So this must be more of a scheduling thing?  Because there also isn't copious CG involved here, I don't think... 

More likely is the idea that Lionsgate has loved what they've seen and might be persuading Stahelski to move immediately into WICK 5 -- which they would shoot next year and try to get out later in 2023.  

Which of course would mean Stahelski's HIGHLANDER would once again be pushed back...if he remains attached.  

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Headline from 20 years ago: Halle Berry teases that there is the possibility of a ‘James Bond’ spin-off film starring her character Jinx

And she literally comments on this in the interview...so I would give her a little respect and sympathy, here!  Is the Wick character more deserving of a spin-off?  I still haven't seen JW3...or I think #1.