charlie Jatinder

Monday (5/20) Numbers

I wish Endgame would hurry up and pass Avatar already, maybe Cameron would finally re-release Avatar and we could see it in theaters again. It was “re-released” once but it was only out of theaters a few weeks so that barely counts. Cameron’s batted around talk of an HDR re-release of Avatar but I fear that is suffering the same fate as the legendary Abyss bluray.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

I wish Endgame would hurry up and pass Avatar already, maybe Cameron would finally re-release Avatar and we could see it in theaters again. It was “re-released” once but it was only out of theaters a few weeks so that barely counts. Cameron’s batted around talk of an HDR re-release of Avatar but I fear that is suffering the same fate as the legendary Abyss bluray.

I imagine it could make a decent amount since the movie is primarily known for something you had to see on the big screen and 10 years later would mean there would be a lot of people who never got a chance to see it or maybe want to see it again. If I was Cameron though, I would wait for an Avatar 2 trailer to come out to get some hype going, so I imagine the re-release won't happen until A2 is close to be released.

18 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

What's crazy about Avatar is just how ahead Cameron was of the competition, 1.67 billion over the next non-Cameron movie (Return of the King). That's a difference of more than the entire gross of the first Avengers movie, to put that in perspective.

Is that true? That’s fucking nuts. Just looked up The Dark Knight to be sure and it appears you’re right. 

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

I imagine it could make a decent amount since the movie is primarily known for something you had to see on the big screen and 10 years later would mean there would be a lot of people who never got a chance to see it or maybe want to see it again. If I was Cameron though, I would wait for an Avatar 2 trailer to come out to get some hype going, so I imagine the re-release won't happen until A2 is close to be released.

Hard to say. I do think the re-release will be part of a carefully orchestrated Avatar 2 campaign but I don’t know if releasing it in theaters the same year as Avatar 2 is the right move.

• Like 1

Fans buying "empty seats". I"m pretty sure every ticket ever bought is for one of those.  Fans of specific franchises going to see it's movies over and over again an absurd number of times, driving up it's box office in the process, is hardly new either.  Likewise campaigns intent on helping Movie X outperform Movie Y.  I'm pretty sure there was a rather well known example of that earlier this year.

Edited by Horner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

EG's last-to-last global weekend was 165 (102 os + 63 dom) and it was 298 or 1.8x the weekend away from AVATAR.

Last weekend was 77 (47 os + 30 dom) and is 171 or 2.2x the weekend away from AVATAR.

Not a very hopeful sign.

If it adds 70 dom after 30 weekend (2.33x*) for 842 total then needs 101 more OS after 47 weekend (2.15x more).

*AIW added 2.8x the 4th weekend so 2.33x could be too conservative.

Edited by a2k

43 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Hard to say. I do think the re-release will be part of a carefully orchestrated Avatar 2 campaign but I don’t know if releasing it in theaters the same year as Avatar 2 is the right move.

I think Dec next year is the best time, by that time they could release a first teaser for Avatar 2, and since Dec next year looks painfully boring, a re-release of Avatar might generate some good money, definitely in China but perhaps also in the west. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I think Dec next year is the best time, by that time they could release a first teaser for Avatar 2, and since Dec next year looks painfully boring, a re-release of Avatar might generate some good money, definitely in China but perhaps also in the west. 

It should be Dec this year, for the 10 year anniversary, and probably would be if not for SWs... 

14 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It should be Dec this year, for the 10 year anniversary, and probably would be if not for SWs... 

Don't you think that's a bit too far from Avatar 2 though? People might feel disconnected again when A2 finally arrives. I don't know, I just want to see it again in theater so I'd be happy if it re-releases this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horner said:

Fans buying "empty seats". I"m pretty sure every ticket ever bought is for one of those.  Fans of specific franchises going to see it's movies over and over again an absurd number of times, driving up it's box office in the process, is hardly new either.  Likewise campaigns intent on helping Movie X outperform Movie Y.  I'm pretty sure there was a rather well known example of that earlier this year.

... out of the same fandom now call this sole tweet pathetic.... 😉

Btw, I did rewatch this year for the first time in my live one of those 'obsessive' rewatches without any technical reason, but not for the BO of it, bcs I really love and click with it 😉 = I guess I am not the only one of those.

Technical reason: I did rewatch ~ 9-10 years back rather often another movie, for different reasons, one major one finding out the different projector / screen combis for max 3D effect without getting nauseate.

Another technical reason in a way: watching a movie in German and in OV for learning English or for not being sure about translation quality (usually being right about something feeling of) / understanding it right.

• Astonished 1

22 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I think 3 is the best we can hope for.

I checked the box office the same period last year 2018 and saw that almost every movie got a bump (some very big, some very small but still) on Tue following a Mon holiday in Canada. So just hope this year will be the same or at least it will stay flat.

Edited by danhtruong5

Canada represent! 

And we are supporting our Canadians! Pikachu and Wick are doing very well here. We just love us some super heroes!

• Like 1