JGAR4LIFE

***SPOILERS*** GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS****SPOILERS THREAD***BE WARNED***SPOILERS THREAD*** | SPOILER WARNING

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Dammit. Fuck. Left after those clippings. 

Eh, you didn't miss much. I was really hoping something showing a run-up to Kong, but the big ape isn't even mentioned. Tywin Lannister buys a Ghidorah head for who-knows (or cares) why.

Otherwise, I quite enjoyed this monsterfest. Much more so than the 2014 version. But I've been Godzilla fan since the 1970s, and grew up watching the early Toho films over and over on late-night TV. Seeing such amazingly realistic-looking versions of Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mothra was a dream come true for 10-year-old me.  The fights are cool, and I was glad Mothra was a good guy. The nods to some of those classic Toho films (the Mothra girls, the Oxygen Destroyer, the original Godzilla theme) were welcome to this long-time fan. The humans were about as annoying as many of those shown in the original films - the bad guys' motivation was nonsense, but hey, it served to get the monsters where we wanted them, so I tolerated the holes in the plot. Looking forward to Kong v Godzilla!

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Dammit. Fuck. Left after those clippings. 

it's a shared universe film franchise, you should know better.

If it makes you feel better, I saw Kong: Skull Island three times and had no idea there was a post credit scene until recently.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

In Mothra vs Rodan battle, Mothra won but Rodan wasn't killed. So Rodan survived. But he was defeated by Mothra in that particular face-off.

Meh, it was a tie. After her fight with Rodan Mothra wasn't even able to fly due to the burns Rodan inflicted. Rodan after the battle was pretty fine, except for the little hole on his left shoulder from Mothra's stinger.

Also, I like how Rodan (unlike Godzilla) was immune to the oxygen destroyer and survived without any damage Godzilla's nuclear pulse.

11 hours ago, Mulder said:

I mean it’s a underground tunnel system made mainly by an ancient advanced civilization. Makes sense to me.

It doesn't make sense to me. The speeds needed to cover that distance in that time make it unbelievable. 600 miles in 3 minutes is 12,000 miles per hour. The speed of sound is 767 mph, so we're talking orders of magnitude faster. There's also geometry working against the concept. The shortest distance between two points is a line. Instead of traveling the hypotenuse of the triangle, they are traveling the two legs of it. So that means they are traveling even faster than my rough calculation.

The friction alone is problematic here. Space shuttles orbit the earth at 17.500 mph give or take a bit, and they had special shielding to protect against the heat generated from decelerating through the atmosphere. Anything traveling 12,000 mph is going to get crazy hot when it slows down.

You read into it too much. Personally I counted it as an acceaptable plot device in a movie that has an alien monster falling down from the sky and using human electricity as boost.

I just watch for a second time and realize how much Kong and Skull Island reference they show through the film. At least 4 or 5 :hahaha:. And meta let-them-fight joke also.

Edited by Heroicpiglet

Wow, that was fantastic!

The reviews are dead wrong here. This was exactly what a big budget Godzilla movie should be!

The effects were great, the human characters were surprisingly acceptable (miles better than 2014), the battles were gigantic, and the scale was epic.

The funny thing is, we heard that there were 17 monsters (that they know of), but we barely saw half of them. Two of them died at the end of the movie, so we're down to 15, but we know both Ghidorah and Mothra will definitely be back, so we're really still right back up to 17. 

They set so much stuff up in this movie, even the idea of monsters from space, so they've got a wide open universe they could do whatever they want in. The possibilities are endless.

It deserves to be a huge hit.