JGAR4LIFE

***SPOILERS*** GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS****SPOILERS THREAD***BE WARNED***SPOILERS THREAD*** | SPOILER WARNING

4 minutes ago, Ithil said:

His "I can't believe that just happened" face to Mothra stabbing him when he thought he had her cornered was priceless.

And his hopeful expression to Godzilla about, "Please forgive me" also was the first one to bend the knee and proclaim Godzilla - King In The East

• Like 1

this was actually pretty good. like what was said earlier in the thread the filmmaking is bland compared to the last godzilla (and even skull island) but the monster stuff is all good. all the actors are actually pretty good too (love watanabe and zhang ziyi) except kyle chandler is just kinda... off? like he's doing a weird parody of the boring lead straight man in these types of movies. idk some of his facial expressions were wild.

Saw it yesterday;the  monster fights were a lot of fun, but, god, the writing for the humans was weak.

As a couple of people pointed out, they killed off the most of the interesting Human Charecters in the series.

With it underperforming at the box office, Variety reports that the future of this franchise beyond  Godzills vs Kong is very much up in the air.

If it is going to survive, they have got to improve the writing. Just sticking the mosnters up there might bring in the Kaiju fans, but is not going to workt with the General audience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Saw it yesterday;the  monster fights were a lot of fun, but, god, the writing for the humans was weak.

As a couple of people pointed out, they killed off the most of the interesting Human Charecters in the series.

With it underperforming at the box office, Variety reports that the future of this franchise beyond  Godzills vs Kong is very much up in the air.

If it is going to survive, they have got to improve the writing. Just sticking the mosnters up there might bring in the Kaiju fans, but is not going to workt with the General audience.

They’re planning a TV show past GvK. Again, planning ;)

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:08 PM, THUNDER BIRD said:

Yeah, but shitty critics and bad planing of WB/Legendary is gonna hurt it real bad. 

Screw you critics & screw you WB/Legendary

Wow, what a mature reponse to people disagreeing with you..........

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:47 PM, JGAR4LIFE said:

They had so much potential with Vera Farmiga. Her character should’ve been the breakout but was horribly written. A mother horribly affected by the death of a child, ugh the potential was there.

Yeah, making the mom into a sort of Thanos wannabe was a huge mistake, with releasing the titans replacing the Snap, same motivitation..only not one quarter as well done as Thanos's.

56 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Given that the OW audience turnout was around 70% male, yup...clearly a lot of work to be done towards making stories with more appeal. 

I guess that that was the reason MBB & Farmiga were cast but looks it didnt bring in much of an audience (ofc, reviews/GA reactions clearly had an effect on people on the fence). 

5 minutes ago, kaijukurt said:

Given that the OW audience turnout was around 70% male, yup...clearly a lot of work to be done towards making stories with more appeal. 

I guess that that was the reason MBB & Farmiga were cast but looks it didnt bring in much of an audience (ofc, reviews/GA reactions clearly had an effect on people on the fence). 

ANd the Trailers were about the monsters, with little attention to the humans. Not a good recipe to attract the General Audience.

At least with the 2014 Godzils, they had some good Bryan Cranston footage to use in the trailer to bring in the non Kaiju fan audinces. They did not have that here.

And I repeat, making the mother a sort of Thanos clone was NOT a good idea.

Fact is the Kaiju fans, who will turn out no matter what, are not a big enough audience o justify the money they are spending on these films. The Japanese Godzilla films cost a lot,lot,less and they could afford a Niche appeal. Can't do that with 150 Million plus budgets.

Someone said a Godzilla TV show is in the works. Hate to think what that would look like given how limited the budgets for a TV show would be. Back to a guy in a rubber suit and aimed at kids is the way a TV series would almost have to go.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

ANd the Trailers were about the monsters, with little attention to the humans. Not a good recipe to attract the General Audience.

At least with the 2014 Godzils, they had some good Bryan Cranston footage to use in the trailer to bring in the non Kaiju fan audinces. 

Fact is the Kaiju fans, who will turn out no matter what, are not a big enough audience o justify the money they are spending on these films. The Japanese Godzilla films cost a lot,lot,less and they could afford a Niche appeal. Can't do that with 150 Million plus budgets.

Yeah, Bryan Cranston was the ultimate GA hook. 

Reminds me of Pacific Rim's case back in 2013 when the trailers were enticing to a niche audience already on-board but not to a lot in the GA

2 hours ago, kaijukurt said:

Yeah, Bryan Cranston was the ultimate GA hook. 

Reminds me of Pacific Rim's case back in 2013 when the trailers were enticing to a niche audience already on-board but not to a lot in the GA

Seems to be a pattern the Legendary films marketing fall into, doesn't it?

Edited by dudalb

19 hours ago, kaijukurt said:

MBB is away from social media for a longgg time already

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kaijukurt said:

I guess theyre very focused (you can say too focused) on the core audience for these movies. 

Which was one of the reasons that Thomas Tull was forced out as head of Lengendary. But I guess ,even with new management, old habits are hard to break.

Lets' face it, the loss of the DC franchise hurt Legendary pretty bad.  Don't see Warners letting them back in; I thin Warners wants a more hands on approach to the DCU. Yes, they let New Line produce Shazam, but since New Line is pretty much owned by Warners.......

Vera Farmiga carried the bland and uninteresting human drama with so little they gave her, her final scene was badass LONG LIVE THE KING! (the real king who's coming to get his crown next year, not that Lizard >:
I loved every scene with Mothra she is the queen of the monsters and OH MY GOD RODAN WAS SO AWESOME PLEASE GIVE ME MORE OF HIM.

the visual spectacle was so incredibly satisfying. the details and designs of Mothra,Rodan and Ghidorah was top notch (Zilla also looked cool after he got that nuke bomb boost). Dr. Serizawa saying goodbye to Zilla as he was about to hand him a nuclear grenade meal was badass, the explosions were pr spectacular in this movie, solid VFX work. I would've liked the 3rd act a bit more if it was more immersive and focused on the monster action instead of switch and bait with the humans and the whole thing occurring in the dark with rainy/clouds covering the kaiju beasts didn't help. the climax still looked amazing though. Rodan vs Mothra was the most dynamic set piece, Rodan is waiting for his rematch!

Godzilla King of the Monsters didn't really do anything for me to like 'Zilla more as a character or root for him but he was intimidating, his showdown with Kong next year is the main event and a little message to the writers : omg can you stop giving 'Zilla ridiculous boosts , wtf is a nuclear pulse!?!? ..Kong will shut that shit down..  3/5.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:56 AM, CoolioD1 said:

except kyle chandler is just kinda... off? like he's doing a weird parody of the boring lead straight man in these types of movies. idk some of his facial expressions were wild.

He had jackshit to do. The script was awful so he was just hamming it up hard. 

I enjoyed this quite a bit. The first 3/4's of it were rough in spots, but the last 30 mins were pretty dope. I didn't mind the humans outside of the plot specific stuff. Liked they gave the monsters more personality in this one. The pace was all over the place and the plot and character development suffered because of it. There are other small things I enjoyed and nitpicks that bothered me. Wish this was doing better.

I don't really get how anyone could hate this movie. The human stuff was "meh," but the monster stuff was epic and the nods to Godzilla's lore and history were delightful. I read that they cut out a credits scene featuring twins singing to a new Mothra egg, would have been delightful to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

I don't really get how anyone could hate this movie. The human stuff was "meh," but the monster stuff was epic and the nods to Godzilla's lore and history were delightful. I read that they cut out a credits scene featuring twins singing to a new Mothra egg, would have been delightful to see.

Wait? What? How was that not in there?