JGAR4LIFE

***SPOILERS*** GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS****SPOILERS THREAD***BE WARNED***SPOILERS THREAD*** | SPOILER WARNING

44 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Rodan, what a jobber. 

Also where is Kong suppose to be during the movie? Didn't watch Skull Island but they mention the location a bunch. 

Don't be too harsh, Ghidorah was way too powerful and he was beating Mothra until that sneak stab. Him vs fighter jets was one of movies highlights.

Kong is like Godzilla, Mothra & Rodan, so he doesn't give much importance to Ghidorah's declaration of war.

The power of Disney...Godzilla is obviously the perfect type of movie to go on the IMAX screens. The shutout was on, because of Aladin...

Anyway, if your expectations were monster fights, and buildings reduced to rubble, instead of an Oscar contender, you will be VERY satisfied with this movie 😂. You will get exhausted from the non-stop destruction. Godzilla is still not in the movie enough, but way more than the riginal movie.

What was with the after credits?! You have to tease KONG! You have to set this collision course up ☺️! The terrorist guy finds a King Ghidorah head,  that's it? Unless this is some (genetic) explanation as to how Kong will be a physical match for Godzilla, that was a weak tease!

Edited by OdinSon2k14

Can any Godzilla fan let me know what that city/place was underwater where Godzilla was recovering. It seemed to me like a sort of religious structure, probably built around a hibernating Godzilla, to worship him. 

It also was freaking huge, impossible for any ancient civilization to build. So does there exist some sort of advanced ancient civilization in the Godzilla lore?

8 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Can any Godzilla fan let me know what that city/place was underwater where Godzilla was recovering. It seemed to me like a sort of religious structure, probably built around a hibernating Godzilla, to worship him. 

It also was freaking huge, impossible for any ancient civilization to build. So does there exist some sort of advanced ancient civilization in the Godzilla lore?

Well the Japanese movies never really dealt with that (unless you count aliens, cockroach aliens, more aliens, time traveling aliens, terrorists, etc) and the movie obviously never delves into it, but the novelization of KOTM mentions that ancient civilizations yet discovered might have been wiped out by previous Titans and Godzilla was worshiped by one such civilization (obviously Atlantis).

Of course the second they discover it they have to nuke it to buff Godzilla. Figures. 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Well the Japanese movies never really dealt with that (unless you count aliens, cockroach aliens, more aliens, time traveling aliens, terrorists, etc) and the movie obviously never delves into it, but the novelization of KOTM mentions that ancient civilizations yet discovered might have been wiped out by previous Titans and Godzilla was worshiped by one such civilization (obviously Atlantis).

Of course the second they discover it they have to nuke it to buff Godzilla. Figures. 😆

Thanks, I was really impressed by that place and would have loved if it or its history was explored more in this or future movies. I was kinda little bit sad that it was destroyed by that nuke. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Wonder when there will be a Godzilla-movie in the ”MonsterVerse” where he fights another foe in clear & sunny daylight?

GvK might be the one to bring it.

Since the original japanese Godzilla-films had him fight during the day.

Well filming rubber suits in daylight grappling each other isn't really the same as CGI. It is a deliberate artistic move to hide CGI and make it less obvious. Night looking CGI usually holds up far better than anything daylight. 

But yeah I think it would be fine to have a daylight CGI fight. Skull Island had some daylight scenes and they look fine for now so we might get one or two with Kong. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Well filming rubber suits in daylight grappling each other isn't really the same as CGI. It is a deliberate artistic move to hide CGI and make it less obvious. Night looking CGI usually holds up far better than anything daylight. 

But yeah I think it would be fine to have a daylight CGI fight. Skull Island had some daylight scenes and they look fine for now so we might get one or two with Kong. 

Almost all of Kong's fights were daylight, no? Don't recall any at night.

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I know the VFX company playing field has become quite even for the past decade, but I wonder if ILM handling the VFX for Kong played a role in a greater confidence/capability to have monster-heavy sequences set in broad daylight? 

I loved it. Godzilla-Ghidorah fight in act one, a rematch in act two, the rubber match in act three 🙂.  Rodan, Mothra, a giant mammoth...Kyle Chandler's know-it-all straight man was getting old quick though 🙂. Cant wait for it on 3D Blu.

However, when I look at the mediocre box office returns, two things come to mind:

1. The FIVE year wait. I think it was on this very forum, back in 2014, where I was shocked at the 2019 release date of this sequel! I knew it would cost them.

Gross miscalculation by WB. You simply cannot wait that long, audiences are too fickle, for such a lengthy wait. Strike when the iron is hot. 2-3 year maximum. Heck this slot should have already been Godzilla-Kong!

Director was tied up, some BS...bleep a director! Get another one! Marvel put Thor 3 back 4 years...the edge of the danger zone, and it didnt kill the franchise, but Marvel is Marvel! I bet the Avatar sequels wont make nearly as much as the original, because Cameron took a century 😂!

2. In 2014, Gareth Edward's vision of a Godzilla movie, with very little of Godzilla actually in it 😂...was not well received, and that likely killed some momentum.

Those were the two main factors I believe. They're worried about Godzilla-Kong now, moving it around. IMO, they already blew it, long before King of the Monsters, with the half-decade wait...

Might as well just DO it, and the box office is gonna be what it is...sometimes you get lucky.

Edited by OdinSon2k14

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:03 AM, ZeeSoh said:

it was supposed to be Atlantis. I thought that was pretty obvious with the "So The Legends Are True" remark.....

The main factor in this underperforming is that it's simply pretty dumb, even for a disaster movie, having just seen it myself...and yes, the five year distance didn't help matters.  But I thought Godzilla looked better and more "realistic" (whatever that means) in Edwards' movie.  I couldn't buy into most of this.  Watanabe's exit was almost poetic, though.  Bradley Whitford was annoying as hell.  Loved Zhang Ziyi's "That bitch!" line, though. 😆  But now I know what kids mean by "random," which is what I thought just about everything in this script was.  Did Vera Farmiga's character seriously assemble a PowerPoint of global catastrophes to play alongside when she cold-called her husband on the base to reveal her agenda?  Ludicrous. 

I'm not going through 14 pages to see if anyone's said this already...I'm sure they have. 

Directed by Michael Dougherty, protoge of Bryan Singer, by the way...and co-writer of Superman Returns.  He learned how to fuck things up with style. 

Saw it again, matinee before Men in Black International.

The screaming people when Rodan introduces himself out of the volcano 😂😂. The hurricane effect when it took flight was awesome. 

Which lead to another memorable scene, the high speed air battle with Rodan and the fighter jets. The whole Rodan awakening in Mexico was the second best part of the movie, behind the Godzilla-Ghidora trilogy of fights.

They did some nice work on Ghidorah's three heads acting independently 😂

Edited by OdinSon2k14