charlie Jatinder

Wednesday (5/23) Numbers

26 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

2009's avg US ticket price - $7.5 yes.  Avatars with it's 3D share - um no.

Those average price do not take account kids/ederly rebate %, tuesday, 3d/PLF, but in this case:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marvel-studios-avengers-endgame-will-hit-1-billion-in-3d-ticket-sales-worldwide-tomorrow-300843945.html

To date, approximately 45% of the film's estimated $2.189 billion has come from the 3D

Avengers 3D + PLF of all sorts screen share must have been also really high, with an average ticket price much higher than the average as well.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Barnack said:

Those average price do not take account kids/ederly rebate %, tuesday, 3d/PLF, but in this case:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marvel-studios-avengers-endgame-will-hit-1-billion-in-3d-ticket-sales-worldwide-tomorrow-300843945.html

To date, approximately 45% of the film's estimated $2.189 billion has come from the 3D

Avengers 3D + PLF screen share must have been also really high, with an average ticket price much higher than the average as well.

Sure, b/c markets in Asia are overwhelmingly 3D (as in almsot 100%)  Most of those markets also have on avg far lower than US/Europe ticket prices even with 3D

Europe has largely eschewed the format and in the US it's usually the screen of the last resort - lucky for theaters seats were so filled o/w people were forced to buy overpriced 3D tickets if they didn't want to wait.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Europe has largely eschewed the format and in the US it's usually the screen of the last resort - lucky for theaters seats were so filled o/w people were forced to buy overpriced 3D tickets if they didn't want to wait.

Yup that was a bit the point, this one is a special case were so much of the sales can have pushed with special type of ticket (and a first monday bigger than the rebate tuesday with people not waiting for cheaper time to see it, etc...) that in both case the average is probably completely off for them.

That same comments is true for Avengers and that $9 ticket, many people paid under $9 here to see it ? To counter balance for the many that paid 9.50-10-12-14-17-22$ ? EndGame ticket went over $20 in cities opening weekend, something I doubt an Avatar could do.

Avatar must have over indexed the average ticket price more I would imagine but maybe not by that much.

28 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Think I’ll take the O on Endgame Thurs O/U Wed.

I'm with you on this one. 

It's been unusually strong on MT and Fandango today. Likely getting some sort of lift from fellow Disney release/double features. Will be interesting to see if this strength continues over the weekend. 

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

To date, approximately 45% of the film's estimated $2.189 billion has come from the 3D.

Avengers 3D + PLF of all sorts screen share must have been also really high, with an average ticket price much higher than the average as well.

That 45% is because of Asia as 3D is still relevant here except Korea. Entire China is 3D ($628mn) leaving rest of world at ~$500mn. South Korea after 10 years of inflation, still has gross less than Avatar thanks to low 3D. Fortunately the exchange rate in Korea is same as 2009 else that could have been even worse

When all things settle, I will try to do admissions count worldwide of 2 Billion dollar films. Endgame will easily be number 2 after Titanic.

Won't be surprised if Infinity War is close to Avatar.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yall that talk about ticket prices must remember that outside of the cities the average prices are way below the normal that BOM posts. 

Even now a days, wife and I saw EG on weekend 2 evening show sold out for less than $10 total for both of us. In 2009 in a decent sized city for Missouri I saw Avatar 3 times for under $8 in 3D. Very few places run the prices seen on the coasts or in the massive newer theaters once you leave a major city. Hence why the average price is much lower (and it doesnt take into account the discounts available to others like kids.) 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yall that talk about ticket prices must remember that outside of the cities the average prices are way below the normal that BOM posts. 

Even now a days, wife and I saw EG on weekend 2 evening show sold out for less than $10 total for both of us. In 2009 in a decent sized city for Missouri I saw Avatar 3 times for under $8 in 3D. Very few places run the prices seen on the coasts or in the massive newer theaters once you leave a major city. Hence why the average price is much lower (and it doesnt take into account the discounts available to others like kids.) 

Wow!  I paid $21/ticket on both the 1st weekend and the 3rd weekend.  

4 minutes ago, andrewgr said:

Wow!  I paid $21/ticket on both the 1st weekend and the 3rd weekend.  

I have too in major cities for the upper level screans lol. We have a basic 4 screener that is fine but not fancy, so it is much cheaper. 

I miss having a nice newer AMC or other chain, but whatcha gonna do LOL. 

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

While this is indeed a good point, it also needs to be stated that these large city theatres with much higher prices are also selling way more tickets than small town theatres on any given day. And with places like Empire 25 and Lincoln Square in NYC charging up to $23 a ticket, it brings the average ticket price much higher. Empire 25 sold over 6000 tickets on Thursday preview night for Endgame. I'm sure some of these smaller theatres only sold 10% as many tickets that same night. 

It's also known that some films perform better on the coasts (big cities) than through the heartland. 

Further, films with larger kid appeal or old people appeal means the majority of the tickets sold will be at a discounted price. 

Basically, it's almost impossible to know what the average ticket price is for each film, and can vary wildly.
Trying to compare with certainty is like claiming to know that God is real.... 

Average ticket prices are so misleading. 

They should just release admission figures as well as Box Office figures like they do in many foreign countries. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1