sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-aladdin-john-wick-north-america-1203225608/

Disney’s live-action “Aladdin” is heading for at least $100 million in North America during the four-day Memorial Day holiday weekend, early estimates showed Friday.

Aladdin” will likely finish Friday with around $30 million, including $7 million in Thursday night previews. Sony’s launch of horror-thriller “Brightburn” should pull in about $10 million for the holiday weekend and United Artists-Annapurna’s comedy “Booksmart” will open at around $9 million.

Lionsgate’s second session of “John Wick: Chapter 3” should be runner-up with at about $27 million following its surprisingly strong opening of $56.8 million. The actioner will wind up the holiday weekend with more than $100 million domestically.

Disney’s fifth frame of “Avengers: Endgame” will finish third in the $20 million range, increasing its haul to about $802 million domestically by the end of Memorial Day. “Endgame” trails only “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in domestic gross, with the space saga having grossed $936 million.

Warner Bros.’ third weekend of “Pokemon Detective Pikachu” will likely follow in fourth with about $17 million. The family adventure will wind up the weekend at the $120 million mark in North America.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Hoping for Wick, Endgame, and Pika to beat those Variety projections.

Early numbers for holdovers are useless. its just prediction. At this point their BO is driven by walk ins. How do you predict walk ins at 2PM PST.

We should get update from Asgardians in the evening that should give perspective. I prefer updates post 9PM PST.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So Aladdin is going exactly how i believed it would go. A movie that is benefiting from Nostalgia that Dumbo didn't have, audiences like it more than critics, and it is much more energetic than Dumbo. Would be funny if Aladdin made more in memorial day than Dumbo did in its entire domestic run.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Early numbers for holdovers are useless. its just prediction. At this point their BO is driven by walk ins. How do you predict walk ins at 2PM PST.

We should get update from Asgardians in the evening that should give perspective. I prefer updates post 9PM PST.

Yeah, I know it’s just them guessing. I’m saying those guesses look very beatable to me. In contrast to other weekends when I might think Variety’s early Fri guesses seem too high.

• Like 1

Just now, ScoobyDoo21 said:

So Aladdin is going exactly how i believed it would go. A movie that is benefitting from Nostalgia that Dumbo didn't have, audiences like it more than critics, and it is much more energetic than Dumbo.

I think this is the key bit.  Not only is Aladdin fresher in folks minds than Dumbo, but it doesn't look dour and depressing.  Maybe drab might even be a better word.

This might not be a perfect movie, but folks still like to be entertained and have a good time over the weekend.  Much worse reasons to go see a flick for much of the GA.

• Like 1

At this point I think even though the marketing was not ideal (to say the least), this can still qualify as breaking the Memorial Day curse. Yeah, Aladdin had a lot more potential than this, but there's still a positive energy building up around it that I haven't seen anything close to for the other recent Disney Memorial Day openers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor said:

At this point I think even though the marketing was not ideal (to say the least), this can still qualify as breaking the Memorial Day curse. Yeah, Aladdin had a lot more potential than this, but there's still a positive energy building up around it that I haven't seen anything close to for the other recent Disney Memorial Day openers.

This being the first Disney Memorial Day opener to potentially open above pre-release tracking in a very long time, would have been enough on its own.

There probably hasn't been this much positivity around a Disney Memorial Day opener since Pirates 3 broke the 4-day record.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Menor said:

Ehh, I more look at it as the curse striking early.  100m+ 4day for Aladdin isn't exactly something to dance in the streets about.  Reviews came in as expected, if not a little worse after all.  But I still think Disney probably left 10m to 20m on the table for this OW from their marketing.

So if not killed by the curse, then pretty well sickened.  Say a Memorial Day Severe Flu rather than Memorial Day Death Slot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

DW, its Godzilla time next week.

I honestly just can't wait for that weekend to be over so I can either breath a sigh of relief or go to Ahch-To conveniently disappear. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

This being the first Disney Memorial Day opener to potentially open above pre-release tracking in a very long time, would have been enough on its own.

There probably hasn't been this much positivity around a Disney Memorial Day opener since Pirates 3 broke the 4-day record.

Pirates 3 was actually considered a disappontment, heh. Presales and tracking were actually Spider-Man 3, and that Saturday drop was a pretty big shock considering the Thursday previews.

• Like 1

48690 at 4pm on Pulse, no slowdown and it will hit 50k or thereabouts at 5. It added 5k between 5pm and final on Thursday, I expect significantly higher for Friday so maybe 8kish, which puts it at 58k. Comps (throwing out those that were off by >1 million last night):

I2: 34.9 (lol)

Dumbo: 26.3

Pika: 25.6

BP: 20.1 (lol)

So...7-26-31-28-22 = 114...maybe?

• Thanks 2