sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Looney Tunes is a potential goldmine.  WB has been trying to crack it for a new generation for awhile though and they haven't found the talent to do it. 

Space Jam 2 is gonna struggle to hit $150m dom, so I don't know about that.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Warner Bros lost faith in the Looney Tunes after Back in Action bombed, they didn't start using again until the CGI shorts and The Looney Tunes Show and Wabbit/New Looney Tunes. The shorts I hope will bring them back to their roots. 

I hope so. Bugs bunny is a icon just hope it ain’t to late to bring him back 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Dumbo's story is just super dated tbh. They probably wanted to remake it to give it a more PC spin.

Dumbo's whole circus setting is just...not good anymore. Tbh Dumbo is one of the biggest film examples of Walt Disney's optimism over every aspect of America not aging well.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They're just testing the waters to see if anything really lands because the Holy Grail of The Little Mermaid/Beauty and the Beast/Aladdin/The Lion King were always going to be so much bigger than everything else other than perhaps Frozen (which is at least 15 years away from getting remade). As far as I know the only things that are really a sure thing at the moment are Mulan (which is already made) and Cruella (which is taking the Maleficent approach).

Cruella's big issue is that 101 Dalmatians has already been done as a live action film plus Emma Stone has the uphill task of trying to best Glenn Close's portrayal of Cruella. 

• Like 1

If it weren't for Warner Bros ineptitude with family fare, I doubt Scoob, TAJ or SJ2 will benefit from nostalgia or you know strong grosses.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They're just testing the waters to see if anything really lands because the Holy Grail of The Little Mermaid/Beauty and the Beast/Aladdin/The Lion King were always going to be so much bigger than everything else other than perhaps Frozen (which is at least 15 years away from getting remade). As far as I know the only things that are really a sure thing at the moment are Mulan (which is already made) and Cruella (which is taking the Maleficent approach).

Shame on you for overlooking the realistic Zootopia cgi remake!

Complete with dead eyes and botox faces.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I mean warner bros is bringing back loony toons with space jam 

scooby doo 

tom and jerry 

just pokemon 

studios are using nostalgia just Disney ips have the most nostalgia attached to it. But other studios are doing it too 

just disney is doing it better lol

Technically, with pokemon, its game adapting. It is the same for all the comic book movies out there. Adapting. 

Most of what Disney doing now is remake in live action form almost beat by beat. I can understand seeing superheroes doing superpower stuff in live action. But most disney stuff are folk tales with normal people and a little of magic element that brings happy ever after. It could get old real fast, and people always have the original to deflect to.

Same for tom and jerry. It has never been done. It was short animations and a few little known longer movies. It still has the x factor. I doubt most people just want to see live action tom and jerry if it was like the cartoons.

Scooby is like doing it till it sticks.

Anyway, by your logic, there isnt much original ideas anymore. Point is which studio is doing more exciting old stuff. Disney while getting bombs does get a lot of their movies only benefit from nostalgia, they just more famous old endearing movies.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nova said:

Honestly I don’t know why anyone is blaming Disney. It’s all Kevin Feige’s fault. He’s the mastermind of the MCU after all. What would Disney be without Marvel :ph34r: Fire Feige!!! 

@captainwondyful post your gif please :bop:

You don't get that gif for even suggesting this.

You get a sandwich thrown at you.

:rofl:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I'd love to see Disney try to improve on some of their past 2000s Animation's like Atlantis or Treasure Planet and give them the live action treatment. But due to how profitable nostalgia is I doubt it.

Yeah that would be awesome. Treasure planet was ahead of its time but didn’t do well 

the princess and the frog Will probably one that would be super successful 

live action movies can bring back old ips and make them relevant for kids. I think it’s good thing for movies 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Looney Tunes is a potential goldmine.  WB has been trying to crack it for a new generation for awhile though and they haven't found the talent to do it. 

Chuck Jones , Tex Avery et al aren't easily succeeded let alone replaced.

I think the new shorts might be the way of making them relevant but also putting a modern spin. 

The other issue is that the characters don't lend themselves to long form, same with Tom and Jerry, they're great in 7 minute shorts but 90-100 minutes is a big difference. The Hanna Barbera characters in comparison were 11-22 minutes so it's not as hard to adapt to a longer medium.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Cruella's big issue is that 101 Dalmatians has already been done as a live action film plus Emma Stone has the uphill task of trying to best Glenn Close's portrayal of Cruella. 

Do audiences care? Probably not.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Dumbo's story is just super dated tbh. They probably wanted to remake it to give it a more PC spin.

The basic elements were all there though.   The cruelty of circuses, the shaming for being different by society, the bond between mother and child, friendship, a growing belief in one self.  It only needed modest tweaks to not modernize it but make it a bit more appealing to modern audiences.  But the movie veered away from the focus on DUMBO which made no sense and took away the sidekick humor that made a darker story still light and hopeful.

• Like 4

Aladdin was one of my favorite movies as a kid. The thought of them doing a live action was appealing.  And then they put out a piece of crap like they usually do.  I think The Lion King has a chance to be really good because it's only animals. Most of these are terrible. 

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Chuck Jones , Tex Avery et al aren't easily succeeded let alone replaced.

Don't forget Bob Clampett! (and several other directors).

They should really revive 2D animation. Maybe even try a compilation movie of 15 shorts or something.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd like to see The Black Cauldron get a live action remake.  In the PC age, I wonder how something like Pocahontas would work? Lilo and Stich could be great.

Also get James Cameron to direct a remake of Atlantis.

Just now, Jonwo said:

I think the new shorts might be the way of making them relevant but also putting a modern spin. 

The other issue is that the characters don't lend themselves to long form, same with Tom and Jerry, they're great in 7 minute shorts but 90-100 minutes is a big difference. The Hanna Barbera characters in comparison were 11-22 minutes so it's not as hard to adapt to a longer medium.

This. While WB has a lot of good IP but most of them are more suitable for the small screens, good for short entertainment, and random but repeat viewing. 

What are T and J gonna do even just for 60 minutes? Chasing their tails before chasing each other? And then the current environment, seeing Tom getting pummelled might not get received too well with animal activists lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

You think so? I always got the feeling BatB was bigger than Aladdin. Might just be anecdotal though.

Aladdin was definitely bigger in the early 90s but BatB has consistently grown more popular over time.