sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

5 minutes ago, Dbui8743 said:

Technically, with pokemon, its game adapting. It is the same for all the comic book movies out there. Adapting. 

Most of what Disney doing now is remake in live action form almost beat by beat. I can understand seeing superheroes doing superpower stuff in live action. But most disney stuff are folk tales with normal people and a little of magic element that brings happy ever after. It could get old real fast, and people always have the original to deflect to.

Same for tom and jerry. It has never been done. It was short animations and a few little known longer movies. It still has the x factor. I doubt most people just want to see live action tom and jerry if it was like the cartoons.

Scooby is like doing it till it sticks.

Anyway, by your logic, there isnt much original ideas anymore. Point is which studio is doing more exciting old stuff. Disney while getting bombs does get a lot of their movies only benefit from nostalgia, they just more famous old endearing movies.

There really isn’t original blockbuster movies these 

everything is existing franchise or a adaption of comic book, video game, Tv show, live action of old animated movies 

every studio is doing it these days not just Disney 

thank god for john wick Atleast it’s original idea 

4 minutes ago, Caladbolg said:

Personally, I'd like to see The Black Cauldron get a live action remake. 

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

:ohmygod:

(got room for sequels as well :ph34r:)

No fucking lie.  Opening Night, Very Very First Showing, TrueIMAX or Best theater in town.  Gimme gimme gimme.

Not joking, either. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Caladbolg said:

Personally, I'd like to see The Black Cauldron get a live action remake.  In the PC age, I wonder how something like Pocahontas would work? Lilo and Stich could be great.

Also get James Cameron to direct a remake of Atlantis.

Disney has the Lloyd Alexander Prydian books and were reportedly developing a series for them back in 2016 so we might get to see a live Black Cauldron along with the other books.

There's a treasure trove of YA fantasy book series to for but other than Potter they've been crap.     I'm still not over the cheap crap they made out of Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series  (so bad it ended with one film) and am confused how they screwed up LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy not only as a miniseries but as a Studio Ghibli film.

• Like 2

I feel like original blockbusters aren’t happening in part because budgets have gotten so big, and risks have to be mitigated. When those big original tentpoles were successful, budgets were at biggest in the low 100 millions. The most expensive originals are Avatar, Titanic and 2012. Wikipedia’s list of most expensive movies contains no other originals. Even adjusted for inflation, among originals only Waterworld and Armageddon approach the level of modern stuff.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dbui8743 said:

This. While WB has a lot of good IP but most of them are more suitable for the small screens, good for short entertainment, and random but repeat viewing. 

What are T and J gonna do even just for 60 minutes? Chasing their tails before chasing each other? And then the current environment, seeing Tom getting pummelled might not get received too well with animal activists lol.

TBF they have done Tom and Jerry DTVs so it can be done though not well, Tom and Jerry are not going to be photo-realistic for the upcoming movie and it'll be more cartoon slapstick and more like the original shorts. 

I am surprised WB has never looked at a live action ThunderCats, that's one of the few 80s properties that has yet to be adapted. Wacky Races is another one which I think would work as a live action movie

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Just now, TServo2049 said:

I feel like original blockbusters aren’t happening in part because budgets have gotten so big. When these big original tentpoles were successful, budgets were at biggest in the low 100 millions. Even adjusted for inflation, only Waterworld and Armageddon approach the level of modern stuff. The most expensive originals are Avatar, Titanic and 2012.

Inception and to a lesser extent Interstellar were successful blockbusters but they have the Nolan brand behind it.

Just now, aabattery said:

sadbron2.png

I'm so confused why it has a prime mid-July release date all to itself. That's the date WB gave the final Potter/TDK/TDKR/Inception. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

TBF they have done Tom and Jerry DTVs so it can be done though not well, Tom and Jerry are not going to be photo-realistic for the upcoming movie and it'll be more cartoon slapstick and more like the original shorts. 

I am surprised WB has never looked at a live action ThunderCats, that's one of the few 80s properties that has yet to be adapted. 

Yeah, like i said earlier, they have made films for these characters but hardly well received.

The strong point of these short cartoons is the short dose of comedic nature. Also the creative and humourous caricature like actions. It is like john wick, but less potential.

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

I'm so confused why it has a prime mid-July release date all to itself. That's the date WB gave the final Potter/TDK/TDKR/Inception. 

Maybe WB believes the Internet memes and social media obsession with the movie are a sign of real audience nostalgia, and that this stands to make major bank. I’d say they could be in for a rude awakening.

Edited by TServo2049

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

If Lebron wins a championship for lakers 2021 June. That would be the best promo for the movie lol 

if lebron popularity keeps declining with lack of success. I can see movie underperforming 

Just now, TServo2049 said:

Maybe WB believes the Internet memes and social media obsession with the movie are a sign of real audience nostalgia, and that this stands to make major bank. They’re in for a rude awakening.

Or perhaps the script is good? They managed to get Terence Nance to direct and Ryan Coogler to produce after all.

1 minute ago, Dbui8743 said:

Yeah, like i said earlier, they have made films for these characters but hardly well received.

The strong point of these short cartoons is the short dose of comedic nature. Also the creative and humourous caricature like actions. It is like john wick, but less potential.

Maybe they should go the Pixar route or really just the old fashioned route of attaching a 5 minute short to the start of every WB movie.

Then they can package and sell them as well as regaining interest in the older shorts

Disney should do the same with the Mouse and other older properties to freshen them for newer audiences.

But I guess that would cut into the 30 minutes of ads and trailers before each movie...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

I feel like original blockbusters aren’t happening in part because budgets have gotten so big, and risks have to be mitigated. When those big original tentpoles were successful, budgets were at biggest in the low 100 millions. The most expensive originals are Avatar, Titanic and 2012. Wikipedia’s list of most expensive movies contains no other originals. Even adjusted for inflation, among originals only Waterworld and Armageddon approach the level of modern stuff.

The ironic bit here is that Titanic's budget at the time was the source of a lot of controversy.  Especially when it appeared at first that it wasn't going to make all that much.

And then the legs happened.  And happened and happened and happened.

• Like 2