sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

8 minutes ago, TMP said:

Let's hope we start getting 5 Disney live action remakes a year soon

Frozen? Yes please

Moana? Yep

Brave? Indeed

I'd say Little Mermaid but there's already gonna start production soon with endorsement from Jodi Benson.

Live action isn't my favorite but it's still better than a lot of other crap being put out.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rorschach said:

I lowballed my Aladdin number for the derby this weekend RIP. Not too surprised its doing better than expected tho. 

Yikes @ that Brightburn number. It's a good thing it only cost $6 mil to make but, still, yikes.

It makes sense really, yay Aladdin is only at about 57% on RT, so it is not amazing, but many people like me really want to see it and were just hoping it was not completely terrible. 57% typically tells me it will be a fun watch, but nothing that will blow me away. And for this particular movie that meets the bill. I was completely expecting a Lone Ranger with this one.

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

if live action remake is such a cash king, why not disney try animation remake?

SW original trilogy and prequel animation remake! Indiana jones animation remake! Titanic animation remake! 

I'm all for it!

9 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Friday Actuals

Aladdin 31.4

John Wick 6.5

Endgame 4.1

PDP 3.25

Brightburn 2.95

Booksmart 2.4

IW only went up 52% on Saturday. Hoping it can match that.

Aladdin needs quite a big box office gross to turn even a small profit with its almost 200 million budget and what is certainly a substantial marketing budget. Disney spared no expenses marketing this movie so I would say than an 150 million marketing budget is possible so we are already at 300-350 million cost. Needs around 750-800 million to be profitable, not a real cash cow by any means and considering that it is following the flop Dumbo and the other flop Marry Poppins, these Disney remakes/reboots don’t seem like a great idea.

If you take out what they get from Marvel/Lucasfilm, in the live action side of things Disney has been dropping more bombs than a B-52 this decade. They seemingly can't get anything to work outside those remakes, so it's not surprising they are tripling down on them.

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

18 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Aladdin has a very reasonable DOM:China:ROW split. It’ll likely be profitable at 500, could see it finishing 600+ with the good reception in lots of areas.

How would a movie with a 200 million production budget (which translates to over 300 million total budget)  be profitable at 500 million worldwide ? 

A sequel to live action Aladdin will probably do Alice 2 numbers soooo yeahh...Its best its a one off...They should move on to their other animated classics to try and milk from them 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

How would a movie with a 200 million production budget (which translates to over 300 million total budget)  be profitable at 500 million worldwide ? 

Ancillaries roughly (very roughly) cover the non-production costs, for a movie that does healthy business in that regard.

• Like 1

Nice... 20m more and my 150m 4day will be spot on... ^^ hoping for low 130m 3 day now... 

Ps: all the experts in the world couldnt predict this...wild ride thanks to incels(AGAIN), but i followed my heart with endgame and aladdin and said 330m endgame and 150m high end and 130m minimum for aladdin... all i saw was experts experts experts... where is your feeling? Why not reading beetween the lines? How is it pleasurable to always go the safe route? Ps. n2: even with all the presales contributors combined(best prediction method so far), you should practice to learn what is noise.. specialy you internet people 

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos